Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Leo the Lion
Had to include Evo in the heading, since I respect his knowledge and experience. Added a Poll as well for my ideas of the best pound for pound.

Please state why you think your pick is the best.

I also urge you to link videos if you wanna make it more clear and sway us.

Would love to hear opinions, since fantasy match ups and logical arguments are fun to read.

My pick is between Evander Holyfield and Ray Robinson. If I had to choose one, probably Ray Robinson, but it breaks my heart, since Im such a Holy fanboy LOL.

If I've left anyone out that you think should be added, please lemme know. Guys like Ezzard Charles was great, but I didn't add him, because like other greats he was convincingly beaten by someone on my list more than once and therefore can't really be added.
Best of all time Pound for Pound
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Phantom Punch
Evander? I know you're a fan and he was definitely one of the greats, but pound for pound I dunno. There are certainly guys that would beat him, although Evander could really fight.

I say Ray Robinson was the best. Most say he could do it all, and I agree. He was the perfect all around fighter. Ali comes close - prime Ali with all that speed and confidence could whoop anybody.

Agreed. I love Evander, but I ended up voting Robinson. He was so well rounded. Excellent for a really long time
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Evolution
If you could put them all in one weight class and put them each in their primes, I say Robinson is the best head to head.

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Entaowed
GOOD POINT!  It is hard to argue against a man who fought in a competitive era when boxing was big & fought very frequently, from lightweight through middleweight: & ran his record to 128-1-2!
Before capturing titles after that.

And his only loss until then was against Jake Lamotta (who he beat the other 5 times, one was very close).
And when he was defeated he had a 16 lbs. weight handicap, which means a lot when comparing 145 to 161 lbs!  That would be 3 divisions difference today.

SRR = greatest P4P ever.

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Leo the Lion
Amen to that SIR!

Got Evo to share thoughts, so I can die in peace now LOL!

Good to see that y'all can appreciate the smaller guys. They dont get enough love on this forum.
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Evolution
Leo the Lion wrote
Amen to that SIR!

Got Evo to share thoughts, so I can die in peace now LOL!

Good to see that y'all can appreciate the smaller guys. They dont get enough love on this forum.
I'm glad my opinion matters to you. I don't consider myself anything special. I'm just a guy who had shitty luck in the boxing biz, but I'm lucky enough to have some memories to share.

Evander is a tough cookie indeed. I trained with him for a few years. He knocked me on my ass the very first time we sparred and I remember thinking, "Shit, is THIS what sparring with this guy is gonna be like?"

But pound for pound there are some who rate above him - SRR and Muhammad Ali, for starters.

There are indeed some older threads about the smaller weight classes but they haven't been posted in lately.

Re: Greatest of all Time P4P - Evolution Please Share thoughts

Leo the Lion
I love hearing stories and experiences behind boxing careers and the likes. They're so diverse and rich. I think it's because we can all relate to it, to some degree.

I think Evander would have gotten gold at the olympics had it not been that rubbish Kevin Barry situation (Kevin isn't rubbish, just the call was). To make it clear as to why I rate Evander, it has to do with his athleticism and rhythm. I could watch that man move around the ring for hours, counter punching and having the heart to duke it out with anyone. I admire his courage and fortitude. Things boxing should embody.

I am in agreement on the fact that there are others that are more likely to rate higher, but there is argument for him to be mentioned, so I added him on the list.

I mean I'd rate Chavez Sr. above him and a few others. I mean you scale up Chavez with that skill set, heart, boxing fundamentals and we have a monster on our hands.

I hope it's not too intrusive, but would appreciate reading some of your experiences and why you felt like you were unlucky. You, don't have to name anyone or give in depth specifics, but a general idea and a few stories would be appreciated.
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs