Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

KB50MJ
I know there's no sure way to know who the hardest and fastest punchers are of all time.

But based on testimony from fighters, who are some of the hardest punchers ever and who are some of the fastest ever?

From any weight class.

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

Good thread. I'll discuss power first.

Muhammad Ali fought Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers and Joe Frazier, who are among the hardest punchers ever. Ali said numerous times that Shavers hit him harder than anyone else.

Larry Holmes sparred with Joe Frazier, fought Earnie Shavers, Ray Mercer and was knocked out by Mike Tyson. Larry said that Earnie Shavers hit him the hardest, but Tyson was the sharpest and quickest puncher he fought. (He said this after the fight.)

Ali and Holmes fought some of the hardest hitters in the sport and they both agree that Shavers hit the hardest. Here is a clip where Ali talks about Earnie Shavers' punching power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pndLZrGGU

And here is a clip where he talks about Rocky Marciano's punching power. They filmed a computer fight when Ali was in his prime (27) and Rocky was older (46) and yet, Ali still couldn't land his jab on Rocky, and Marciano even injured Ali's ribs during the filming. Ali says here that Marciano hit him so hard that it shook his relations in Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg

Evander Holyfield fought Tyson, Mercer, Foreman, Lennox Lewis, and Bowe. He sparred with David Tua, another banger. He said that Bowe was the only one to seriously hurt him. There was an interview but I can't find it at the moment.

Jersey Joe Walcott was knocked out by both Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano. He said that Rocky punched harder with one punch than Louis, but Louis was the better rhythm puncher. It makes sense because Marciano knocked out Walcott with a single blow, but Louis got the job done with a series of bone-crushing jolts.

As far as speed goes, Marciano said that Ali was "the fastest man on wheels" when they filmed the computer fight. A lot of fighters have praised the fast hand speed of Joe Louis and Mike Tyson, too. But the general consensus is that Ali and Patterson had the quickest hands of all the heavyweights, with Louis and Tyson only a hair behind.

I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly. Good thread, KB50MJ. I hope you enjoy the clips I linked.

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

KB50MJ
Interesting. Notice how both patterson and tyson were both taught by Cuss and they have lighting fast hand speed. Cuss liked to focus on peed a lot. And I also remember reading that he would order heavier heavy bags for tyson that o other man could budge. All to improve his punching power.

But without a doubt Ali was very fast, with both hand and footwork. I guess thats why he felt so confident and didn't want to put his hands up to block his face. haha

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

Power isn't everything. Bruce Lee was not a strong guy, but could knock out anyone because of his swift speed and the accuracy of his attacks. Likewise, Holyfield and Patterson used speed and accuracy to generate most of their knockouts. Tyson had brute strength combined with speed and accuracy. Unbelievable.

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

KB50MJ wrote
Yeah, and when he ran into boxers who could close the gap like Joe Frazier, he got beat up bad for it.

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

Power isn't everything. Bruce Lee was not a strong guy, but could knock out anyone because of his swift speed and the accuracy of his attacks.
Excellent post, AJ. People put too much emphasis on power these days. It's really speed and timing that do the trick, whether it's boxing or martial arts.

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

A Friend
Power will always be part of the fighting equation,  but is one variable amongst several. Bruce lee wanted to develop more power in his attacks so he read up on physiology and a review of a book by H.H Clarke made an impression on him."The application of measurement to health and physical education".

It was stated that "speed also depends upon strength...the stronger the individual, the faster he can run...moreover, endurance is based on strength".

Another study stated that "strength is definitely shown to be a prerequisite for the development of endurance".

These were conclusions based on scientific experiments. Bruce worked on developing speed, strength, endurance and, by extension, power. His view was you had to develop every part of your body in preparation for combat, not merely sport. For example, while tyson had power, he didn't have much endurance and struggled in long bouts. What works for one person's physiology is impossible for another, so the only meaningful comparisons can be made with yourself.

"He didn't weigh that much, but he got the most out of what he had. He was very strong and the weight he did have was all muscle. He was in very keen shape; very Sharp. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Re: Hardest and fastest punchers of all time

BAD INTENTIONS
A Friend wrote
[...]

Very insightful post by this new mysterious poster.