Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Left Hook From Hell...
......knocked someone out with a Joe Frazier left hook? How about Mike Tyson's uppercut? Have you used any of your favorite boxers' moves in a real fist fight and how did it work out for you?

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

xGhostRiderx
It is very difficult to knock someone out in a street fight with punches, especially considering most fights only last 30 or so seconds. The skull is very durable, if you punch someone without any padding you are more likely to damage your hand then you are to knock them out. Even at elite level boxing early KOs and one punch KOs are pretty rare; they tend to happen after a few minutes at least and after quite a few punches have been thrown already.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

xGhostRiderx wrote
It is very difficult to knock someone out in a street fight with punches, especially considering most fights only last 30 or so seconds. The skull is very durable, if you punch someone without any padding you are more likely to damage your hand then you are to knock them out. Even at elite level boxing early KOs and one punch KOs are pretty rare; they tend to happen after a few minutes at least and after quite a few punches have been thrown already.
Yes. I haven't been in a fist fight since I was 13. You're absolutely right that your hands ache like a mother after hitting someone as hard as you can.

Professional boxers know how to score a knockout despite the pain though. Joe Frazier talked in his book about how he knocked out a racist white boy in the street with a single left hook during his teen years. Jack Dempsey knocked out two robbers who tried to mug him in New York. (They said it felt like he had rocks in his fists).

And, also in New York, Mike Tyson knocked Mitch Green's eye out of its' socket. Funny that Green was knocked down in the street fight but stayed on his feet during his 10 rounds with Tyson.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Zorro
Real boxers certainly know the art of slugging with or without wrapped hands. I remember when Sonny Liston knocked out a cop and went to jail. There was an article about it and my father was real upset. He loved Sonny Liston. He hated seeing his anger get the better of him outside the ring. But from the reports the cop was hospitalized. One punch.

I'll never forget attending the Joe Frazier and Jerry Quarry fight and hearing those thudding body blows Joe Frazier was landing. Would I ever fight a professional prize fighter in a street fight? No sir!

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

xGhostRiderx
Zorro wrote
Real boxers certainly know the art of slugging with or without wrapped hands. I remember when Sonny Liston knocked out a cop and went to jail. There was an article about it and my father was real upset. He loved Sonny Liston. He hated seeing his anger get the better of him outside the ring. But from the reports the cop was hospitalized. One punch.

I'll never forget attending the Joe Frazier and Jerry Quarry fight and hearing those thudding body blows Joe Frazier was landing. Would I ever fight a professional prize fighter in a street fight? No sir!
Very interesting anecdote. Thank you for sharing sir :)

I really love the experience and stories on this forum.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Zorro
xGhostRiderx wrote
Very interesting anecdote. Thank you for sharing sir :)

I really love the experience and stories on this forum.
Thank you. A friend of my father met Sonny and said the big man loved ice cream! I'm 58 years old and my childhood is full of great memories of heavyweights. My dad and brother were big boxing fans. I saw a couple fights live. My fascination with the sport never went away.

Duggerman where did you hear the story about Jack Dempsey knocking out the muggers?

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Duggerman where did you hear the story about Jack Dempsey knocking out the muggers?
It's toward the end of this documentary about Dempsey.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

For all the great stories we shouldn't forget that boxers are no angels either.
I don't believe Kennedy was innocent, but I don't believe in Rubin Carter's innocence either. He wrecked quite a few people outside the ring for no reason.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Shane
In a real fight anything goes so don't resort to boxing. Jabs and shit won't work. Just do anything to get the upper hand. Besides you'll be blown out and exhausted after 30 seconds anyway. Fights don't last too long. In the time it takes you to attempt a Tyson uppercut you might get Kneed in the groin and then assraped.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Brooklyn's Finest
Shane wrote
In a real fight anything goes so don't resort to boxing. Jabs and shit won't work. Just do anything to get the upper hand. Besides you'll be blown out and exhausted after 30 seconds anyway. Fights don't last too long. In the time it takes you to attempt a Tyson uppercut you might get Kneed in the groin and then assraped.
Real talk. I remember a few months ago T.I. tried to fight Floyd Mayweather. Dude is a moron. Floyd is the champ, undefeated and a professional boxer. T.I. would not last long.

If you're just a regular guy I wouldn't cal out any professional boxer, not even John Ruiz.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Street fights ended up in knockouts.

Some of them are boxers.

Most of them throws sucker punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXef9WUvdck

A doctor killed an patient with one punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8SpV6WUq9g

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Will69
I imagine most fights would end up as wrestling matches.  As well, if you hit someone in the head, depending on where, you might break your hand in the process.  I remember when Lennox Lewis and Hasim Rahman went at it in the studio during a radio interview.  They both were just slapping each other and pushing each other.  They knew a proper punch could really damage their hands and that would put their fight in jeopardy.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Will69 wrote
I imagine most fights would end up as wrestling matches.  As well, if you hit someone in the head, depending on where, you might break your hand in the process.  I remember when Lennox Lewis and Hasim Rahman went at it in the studio during a radio interview.  They both were just slapping each other and pushing each other.  They knew a proper punch could really damage their hands and that would put their fight in jeopardy.
To this day I think that brawl was staged. You could be right but I think they were trying to promote the fight.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Palm strike instead of punch in street fight.

https://youtu.be/lr2R7MAafYU

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Will69
redfeng007 wrote
Palm strike instead of punch in street fight. https://youtu.be/lr2R7MAafYU
True that. (the best is probably avoiding/walking away from a confrontation). But I imagine with most guys on this forum, we've fantasized so much about trying these famous knock-out punches ourselves, if the opportunity is there, we may try to emulate ATG boxing moves rather than safer/more effective moves.

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

redfeng007
Anything can happen in street fight.

Even one punch from an untrained fighter.

It is best to walk away if you feel like hitting somebody.

There was once I feel like punching somebody as he gave me a disrespectful glare...

I walked away and cool off a few hours later...

Imagine I did this and have to bear the consequence for my action...

Re: Have you ever been in a real fight and...

Leo the Lion
Been in one or two. Generally though I try and walk away.

Was assaulted on the highway in December 2015 when I ran out of petrol. There were two of them and it lasted all of 15 odd (maybe even less) seconds. I was very lucky to walk away with only some swelling on my cheek from a shot I didn't see coming (the guy's partner hit me from the side as I hit him). I hot the first guy with a left to the body, got hit high up on the cheekbone by his partner, turned and hit him with a left to the body and came over the top with the right hand. Damn near broke my hand on his orbital bone. Thank god my rally scared them off, but I was in a near sticky situation.

Since then I avoid streetfights and situations that could lead to them like the plague. Took a full 6 months for my right hand to stop giving me problems in training.
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs