How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Shane
I've always wondered. AJ, how do you get paid?

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Michelle
I assume it's salary unless you're freelance. Not really sure. AJ would know, though.

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Jessica
What is freelance? I've heard that word a lot lately.

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Becky
Jessica wrote
What is freelance?
Freelance is when you're paid for your work, but you're not on a set salary. You're paid by assignment. Freelancers often work from home and set their own schedules. I understand that AJ does this. He hasn't posted lately. I'm sure he'll clarify when he gets back online.

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Wow. The forum was busy last night. Glad to see everyone enjoying themselves. :)

Becky and Michelle are right. I'm a staff writer for The Tennessee Tribune, but I freelance for other outlets. (The Leaf-Chronicle, Tri-State Defender, Buisness Clarksville Magazine, etc) The more you write, the more you make.

Becky wrote
Freelance is when you're paid for your work, but you're not on a set salary. You're paid by assignment. Freelancers often work from home and set their own schedules. I understand that AJ does this.

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Shane
Thanks for the answer. I know you write a lot of front page stuff, AJ. Do you get bonuses for that?

Re: How Do Journalists Get Paid?

Shane wrote
Thanks for the answer. I know you write a lot of front page stuff, AJ. Do you get bonuses for that?
I was among the highest paid there, yes. But that newspaper was only freelance, but they gave enough work that it was considered full-time.

As of now I work full-time but it's on pure salary. And I've had offers to freelance elsewhere and I think I'll do it also.

So I get paid like any other 9 to 5 job; I just don't punch a clock and I'm not gone all day like most people.