If Ali never got exiled....

.....just how long would he have been champion? Frazier would always be a tough fight for him but in 1967, Frazier wasn’t ready for Ali yet. Who would be the first guy to beat him?

My best guess would be Frazier in a rematch if they fought again in 1971, or maybe Ken Norton, as his technical prowess would take full advantage of Ali’s gradually declining speed.

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

Will69
Great question.  I think Fraizer would always be a full-throttle fight for Ali, but as I mentioned in another thread, if Ali trained seriously for FOTC and entered the ring as a lean and determined fighter (as he did against Foreman), I think Ali would have come out of that one one top.  Now if Ali kept fighting since '67, he would more likely out point Fraizer all the way through his career, but not by much.  Ali had the reach, the style, speed, endurance, and chin to take the slight upper hand, if he took every fight 100% serious.

My guess, is that an early or mid 70s Ken Norton would be the first to defeat Ali if Ali kept fighting.  His skills were certainly on a slight decline since the 70s, and a fresh, prime Norton had the style and attributes to edge a slowing down Ali.

(I think Fraizer vs Norton would be great, although I believe a prime Fraizer may edge a prime Norton.)

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

South Pacific
My guess would be David Tua.

That was a joke. Honestly I vote Norton. Or Frazier.

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

Zombies Ate Me
I think some of you are a little light on Frazier. In '67 no, Frazier was not yet ready for Ali. But that doesn't mean that it would be a landslide decision for Ali. Frazier would always make Ali uncomfortable with his swarming style. George Chuvalo landed on Ali quite a bit in the 1960s and he's no Joe Frazier...

So I agree that Ali beats Frazier at this time, but Frazier would have his moments and make Ali work for it.

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

Shane
Zombies Ate Me wrote
I think some of you are a little light on Frazier. In '67 no, Frazier was not yet ready for Ali. But that doesn't mean that it would be a landslide decision for Ali. Frazier would always make Ali uncomfortable with his swarming style. George Chuvalo landed on Ali quite a bit in the 1960s and he's no Joe Frazier...

So I agree that Ali beats Frazier at this time, but Frazier would have his moments and make Ali work for it.
I agree with you, because Frazier knew how to cut the ring and nullify Ali's speed by busting him up in the body. Ali would win on points, maybe late TKO, but he would feel a lot of pain that night. Still, it wouldn't be as exhausting an affair as Manilla or the FOTC.

Styles make fights as we know, and Mildenburger, Chuvalo and several others landed on Ali clean during his prime years. Ali was not unhittable, and Frazier knew how to close the gap and get to work. But in 1967 he was not yet at his peak.

Re: If Ali never got exiled....

.....just how long would he have been champion? Who would be the first guy to beat him?

Probably Norton...

Ali would probably carry the championship until '72 or '73, but might have a close call with Smokin Joe. But by then he might have slowed enough that Norton could take advantage the way he actually did when they fought.
Malik El Debarge Wright