If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

...would you consider him an All-Time Great? (If you don't know who Andre Bishop is, he's the fictionalist protagonist in the Championship Mode for Fight Night Champion. It's a Hollywood-inspired story!)

When you look at the few things Andre did accomplish, he certainly has the makings of a great heavyweight champion. Think about it.

* He wins the gold model as an amatuer.

* He overcomes a five year layoff.

* He transitions successfully from middleweight to heavyweight.

* He knocks out Isaac Frost, who is a "friggin' animal!" The strategy, intelligence and heart he displayed to beat Frost shows that he belongs in an elite group of heavyweight champions. I'd like to see a sequel story to see how his championship run goes. At 33 years old, he might not have a lengthy reign as champion.

It's too soon to know if he would be an ATG but I think the potential is there. What do ya'll think? Remember that he's a fictional character so there's no real right or wrong. Just opinions.
Would Andre Bishop Be An All-Time Great?

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Friday The 13th...
Good discussion topic!  He surely has the heart to be an all-time great. But for all we know he might lose his very first title defense! I doubt it, but who knows, really? But from what I've seen, he appears to be an all-time great in the making. Defeating Isaac Frost alone shows why he belongs.

I'll tell you who is NOT an all-time great, though. His ANNOYING big little brother Raymond. I can't stand that punk. I was glad to play as Isaac Frost and knock him out cold.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Hit Em' Hard
No he's not an ATG. Not even close.

For starters, beating Isaac Frost doesn't mean a lot. Frost was guided to the title by DL McQueen. You saw how McQueen was; paying judges off, paying referees, etc. He manipulates the system. That's how Isaac got a world title shot in less than two years and how "Baby Bishop" got a world title shot even sooner.

If Isaac won the title by his own merit, then it'd be different. Instead he's a big powerhouse with limited stamina. He's a mix of Ivan Dragu, Prime George Foreman, and WWE's Randy Orton.

All Andre Bishop did was expose Frost as a fighter with weak stamina who can be exploited by thinking fighters. So beating Frost isn't a big deal to me. Frost was another overhyped heavyweight champion. A creation of DL McQueen.

Andre moved up in weight to win the heavyweight title. But so did Michael and Leon Spinks! Michael Spinks could possibly beat Frost using the same tactics Andre Bishop did. Would you count Michael Spinks as an ATG? I sure don't!

Andre's story was great. Very Hollywood inspired like you said. But is he among the greatest of all time? Well, his story might be one of the greatest. But as a boxer, he isn't.

Friday The 13th... wrote

I'll tell you who is NOT an all-time great, though. His ANNOYING big little brother Raymond. I can't stand that punk. I was glad to play as Isaac Frost and knock him out cold.
What you said! And this is another example of DL McQueen guiding a non-experienced boxer to the title. Baby Bishop was far from ready for an opportunity like that. He had only been boxing for how long? A year? Come on.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Zombies Ate Me
The Governor wrote
Let me be the fisrt to say that Meagan McQueen is H-O-T!!

Duggerman wrote
She's easily my favorite thing about the Championship Mode. lol. She's based off Actress Pauline Egan.

Andre Bishop is an all-time great simply for tappin' that ass! She was clearly thirsty for his dick.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

@Zombies. Yeah, Meagan was obsessed with bangin' Andre. She was really flirty with the man. I didn't know her looks were based off a real person. The game producers did a great job! She looks Identical. (And bangable fa 'sho)

Hit Em' Hard wrote
[...]

But in the short two hours you get to know Andre Bishop, he accomplishes a lot and I think it's more than fair to put him among the all-time greats.

I don't agree with the Spinks comparison because the circumstances were different. Leon Spinks beat old Ali in his 8th professional fight. Michael Spinks was given the nod by judges who did not want Larry Holmes to tie Rocky Marciano's record. Larry's losses to Spinks were political. If Larry was not threatening Rocky's record, the judges would have been fair and Spinks would have lost to Holmes. Twice.

Isaac Frost was guided to the title. I'm not arguing that. BUT he was still a beast. Good chin, huge size and huge power. He's more than a threat to any heavyweight champion.

Andre Bishop could use the same title-winning strategy he used on Frost to beat guys like Sonny Liston and George Foreman. They were similar to Isaac Frost, ya know.

But where does the Randy Orton comparison come into play? lol.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Hit Em' Hard
Urban Legend wrote
Andre Bishop could use the same title-winning strategy he used on Frost to beat guys like Sonny Liston and George Foreman. They were similar to Isaac Frost, ya know.

But where does the Randy Orton comparison come into play? lol.
Similar yes. As good? No. George Foreman, for example, cleaned out the heavyweight division before losing to Ali in Zaire. He had wins over Joe Frazier (who had been an dominating and undefeated champion before meeting Foreman), Ken Norton, and George Chuvalo. Tell me some big names Isaac Frost beat before the unsuccessful title defense against Andre Bishop?

As for the Randy Orton comparision, I'll let the picture do the talking. Isaac looks to be an even bigger stronger scarier version of Randy Orton. Not identical but strikingly similar.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Alexander
If Entaowed were here he'd go on and on about how he feels Isaac Frost is on PEDs. lol.
Based on what he accomplished I'd be comfortable calling Andre an ATG.
Sure there's no Listons, Foremans or Fraziers for him to fight.
But as someone said earlier, Isaac Frost was a huge monster in his own right.
Its not just the fact that Andre beat him...it's HOW he beat him.
Gus and Andre were a good team.
If they could come up with those brilliant strategies to beat Mr. "Ice Cold" then they could
develop strategies to beat anybody.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Zorro
Oh my goodness. Meagan looks a lot like my daughter! They resemble each other strongly.

Alexander wrote
If Entaowed were here he'd go on and on about how he feels Isaac Frost is on PEDs. lol.
I'm afraid you're right. But to be fair he has slacked up on the steroid tirades. He found other ways to annoy us, unfortuneatly.

I'm an old man and don't follow video games but from what I'm seeing this is interesting. Is there a way I can see the story without buying/playing the game?

And here's a fair question: Could this Andre character beat Joe Louis? In my opinion Joe was the ultimate fighting machine. He could do it all and I don't see many (if anyone) who can beat him at his very best. No matter what strategy he uses I don't see Andre winning. But I do wanna see him fight first before I make a real judgement and compare him to the greats.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Oh my goodness. Meagan looks a lot like my daughter! They resemble each other strongly. I'm an old man and don't follow video games but from what I'm seeing this is interesting. Is there a way I can see the story without buying/playing the game? And here's a fair question: Could this Andre character beat Joe Louis? In my opinion Joe was the ultimate fighting machine. He could do it all and I don't see many (if anyone) who can beat him at his very best. No matter what strategy he uses I don't see Andre winning. But I do wanna see him fight first before I make a real judgement and compare him to the greats.
Here's the story. Its the best story mode of any sports game imo. And no, I wouldn't pick Andre Bishop to beat Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, etc. Oh, and if yo' daughter really looks like Meagan McQueen, then you got a fine ass daughter!

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

GatorPurify
Good discussion. I think he's definitely an all time great of his era. All time great, I guess I'm not sure. But his heart is unquestionable. All those fights that he had to win with the handicaps ( broken hand and all). He does have all around good skills. Nothing mind blowing in regards to one skill, but good in all skills.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

GatorPurify wrote
Good points. I forgot about him overcoming the broken right hand. You could easily say he's the "Holyfield" of his generation. Small-average size, big heart, overcoming huge obstacles one at a time.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Hit Em' Hard wrote
As for the Randy Orton comparision, I'll let the picture do the talking. Isaac looks to be an even bigger stronger scarier version of Randy Orton. Not identical but strikingly similar.

Whoa. I totally see it now.

Isaac fought weak competition compared to other great champs, sure. But I'll let "the ratings do the talking." Look at his overall rating on FNC. He has a fcuking rating of 95! That's two points higher than Muhammad Ali, who was originally the highest rated at 93. With Frost being rated higher, he could beat Muhammad Ali in his sleep if you play him right. Andre has a 93 rating, so evidently the game producers feel he's a legend. Isaac Frost, too.

So taking all of this into account, Isaac Frost is the baddest mofo on the game with the best rating. Andre Bishop and Muhammad Ali are two points behind. But ratings don't mean everything. After tall, Andre did beat Isaac.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Maximillian wrote
I sent Entaowed this link and he's watching it now. I'm actually looking forward to hearing his detailed analysis of this!

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Alexander wrote
If Entaowed were here he'd go on and on about how he feels Isaac Frost is on PEDs.
Probably. I look at it this way.

Andre Bishop pulled a "Buster Douglas" against the "invincible" Isaac Frost. Maybe Isaac was overconfident or had a bad night? We would need a rematch to know for sure. People thought Ali beating Liston the first time was a fluke. People thought Foreman beating Frazier was a fluke too.

When a surprise upset like this happens, sometimes a rematch is needed to remove all doubt.

Andre's story is incomplete as of now so I hesitate to call him an all-time great. But if he decided to rest on his laurels after winning the title, I'd say he's an ATG based on his record, heart and accomplishments. Only one loss and that was a dive he took against his obnoxious brother..

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Glad to have you back, Evolution. You opened up new possibilities. How would a better prepared Isaac Frost do in a rematch? I imagine he'd be like post-Zaire Foreman - always concerned with pacing himself and afraid to pull the trigger. His new insecurities would allow Andre and other heavyweights to capitalize.

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

J.C.
Duggerman wrote
Glad to have you back, Evolution. You opened up new possibilities. How would a better prepared Isaac Frost do in a rematch? I imagine he'd be like post-Zaire Foreman - always concerned with pacing himself and afraid to pull the trigger. His new insecurities would allow Andre and other heavyweights to capitalize.
Like you said, if they fought again Isaac would likely lose. Losing to Andre ruined his confidence. We'll never know but I would always back Andre against Isaac.

If we focus on what DID happen in the game and toss out the "what if" scenarios, then yes. Andre is an all-time great. Not on the Muhammad Ali-Joe Louis- Rocky Marciano level, but he might squeak in under the top ten.

I also gotta piggyback on what someone else said earlier. The FNC producers gave Andre an overall rating of #93, tied with Muhammad Ali in terms of skills, so they evidently think highly of him. I realise that Isaac Frost has the highest rating on the game (95) but they was just because they wanted you to know that he's one bad mutha!

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

MAGUIRE
He's absolutely an atg and clearly based on Ali in many aspects.

- Muhammad Ali had a 3 year lay-off, Andre Bishop had a 5 year prison lay-off. Both men were in legal trouble for stupid reasons. Andre was set up and Ali was banned for standing up for his religious beliefs and civil rights.

- Muhammad Ali got his jaw broken by Ken Norton but fought on bravely. He was blinded by Sonny Liston but didn't quit then, either. Andre Bishop had to fight on with a broken right hand in one fight.

- Both men were in their thirties and thought to be washed up when they had to fight a younger, bigger mountain of a powerful heavyweight. (Foreman for Ali, Frost for Bishop)

-Both used unheard of strategies to defeat a monster heavyweight champion

This is the most iconic picture of Muhammad Ali. In fact it is one of the most iconic sports photos period.

If Andre Bishop were a real heavyweight, I'm sure that THIS would be his iconic photo.

Both men standing over the biggest, most powerful heavyweight of their respective era.
Forget Andre's accomplishments for a sec and look at his stats. He has power, speed, heart, great chin, etc. He is TIED with Ali on the game in overall ratings! That's how great he is. ATG heavyweight champion indeed.

But I hesitate to say that he would have a long, dominant reign as heavyweight champion. Most likely Isaac Frost would never be the same after losing to Andre Bishop. Like Foreman and Liston, he lost that frightening "invincible" aura and guys wouldn't be afraid of him anymore, so he'd be less of a threat.

I'll bet Andre would soon vacate the title to his little brother Raymond. It would be cool if a sequel was made from Raymond's point of view and you played as him. It would make sense seeing as to how Andre is getting up in age and Raymond is still young and in his prime.

OR it would be fun also to play as Isaac Frost and play him as he works his way back up the ranks WITHOUT DL Mcqueen cheating for him. Isaac is big, slow and lacks stamina so this would put him at a disadvantage against other boxers. There's a lot of places a sequel could go with this.

Zombies Ate Me wrote

Andre Bishop is an all-time great simply for tappin' that ass! She was clearly thirsty for his dick.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Alexander wrote
Its not just the fact that Andre beat him...it's HOW he beat him.
Gus and Andre were a good team.
If they could come up with those brilliant strategies to beat Mr. "Ice Cold" then they could
develop strategies to beat anybody.
Not ANYBODY. Isaac Frost was a big walking mistake full of weaknesses to exploit. You really think they could come up with strategies to beat a fighting machine like prime Joe Louis? Lennox Lewis? Vitali Klitschko? Muhammad Ali?

Zorro wrote
And here's a fair question: Could this Andre character beat Joe Louis? In my opinion Joe was the ultimate fighting machine. He could do it all and I don't see many (if anyone) who can beat him at his very best. No matter what strategy he uses I don't see Andre winning.
No way does Andre beat a peak Joe Louis. No way in hell. Louis would destroy him the way he destroyed other fighters. Andre might have enough grit to beat Joe Louis from 1950 onward. But before that? Not a chance. Sure the game gave Andre a higher rating than prime Louis but that ties into my next post.

Urban Legend wrote
Isaac fought weak competition compared to other great champs, sure. But I'll let "the ratings do the talking." Look at his overall rating on FNC. He has a fcuking rating of 95! That's two points higher than Muhammad Ali, who was originally the highest rated at 93. With Frost being rated higher, he could beat Muhammad Ali in his sleep if you play him right. Andre has a 93 rating, so evidently the game producers feel he's a legend. Isaac Frost, too.

So taking all of this into account, Isaac Frost is the baddest mofo on the game with the best rating. Andre Bishop and Muhammad Ali are two points behind. But ratings don't mean everything. After tall, Andre did beat Isaac.
The bolded part contradicts EVERYTHING you said earlier in your post. You contradicted yourself in the same post! Ratings aren't everything and don't mean shit really. It's a video game at the end of the day and it all depends on how well you know how to use the boxer you choose.

Evolution wrote

Andre Bishop pulled a "Buster Douglas" against the "invincible" Isaac Frost. Maybe Isaac was overconfident or had a bad night? We would need a rematch to know for sure. People thought Ali beating Liston the first time was a fluke. People thought Foreman beating Frazier was a fluke too.

When a surprise upset like this happens, sometimes a rematch is needed to remove all doubt.

Andre's story is incomplete as of now so I hesitate to call him an all-time great. But if he decided to rest on his laurels after winning the title, I'd say he's an ATG based on his record, heart and accomplishments. Only one loss and that was a dive he took against his obnoxious brother..
I agree with some of this. Andre was a great middleweight but his career was interrupted at his peak. He was in his late '20s when he was thrown in jail and in his thirties when he returned to the ring and fought as a heavyweight. Because he was imprisoned when he was at his very best, we never got to see his full potential.

His story is definitely incomplete. Does he lose his hunger after beating Frost? Are there any legit threats to his title? Does Isaac Frost learn his lesson, come back stronger and kick his ass in a rematch? We don't know! Andre had a good strategy against Frost but maybe he got lucky the way McCall and Rahman did against Lewis. Lewis kicked they asses in rematches! That same thing may happen here. Who knows what a wiser Frost might do the second time around?

Ali proved his greatness. He beat Liston TWICE! Foreman was so devastated by losing to Ali that he didn't box for a year. Andre hasn't fought a rematch with Frost.

And NO!!! If a sequel is made, do NOT put that punk ass annoying fuck Raymond as the lead character. He was so damn obnoxious! His first impression was bad, interrupting his brother's interview. No class at all.

But there's no way I see Andre Bishop as an all-time great. He overcame adversity. That much is true. But he missed out on his prime years and didn't fight anyone important. Isaac Frost was not important. Like I said earlier, he was a creation of DL McQueen. We would have to see a sequel to know how great Andre truly is.

The only thing I agree with most of you on is that Meagan McQueen is one fine piece of ass!

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Phantom Punch
Man this is a great discussion. Ya'll done took a video game concept and turned it into some good conversation. I saw this same topic on boxing24 some years back but it was terrible. Just a bunch of trolls talking shit. Ya'll actually got some damn good points on both ends.

Andre's career was great but more time is needed to know how great. Wins over bums and a freak of nature in Isaac Frost. Thats it in a nutshell. I need to see more.

But I don't agree that he's on the same plane as a Louis or Ali.

P.S.
        I still haven't beaten Isaac Frost in FNC! One day I'll devote few hours to doing just that. If they let you resume from a previous checkpoint it'd be easier. But you have to do it all at once. After losing so much you get frustrated!

Re: If Andre Bishop Was A Real Boxer...

Sivul
We don't know enough about Andre or Issac to know if they're among the ATGs. It's best to evaluate someone when their career is over. People didn't consider Sonny Liston an all-time great until decades after his death. Would you believe that Foreman and Frazier were not considered ATGs during their primes either!! People back then routinely ranked Louis, Marciano and Johnson high above them. It wasn't until years later they people realized that those guys were among the absolute best of all time.

If Andre and Isaac never fight again and there's no sequel, then yes, they're considered ATGs. Andre more so.
123