If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

Big Red
How long does he hold the title?

Re: If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

That's a tricky question. Assuming Ali is out of the picture completely, I think George may have beaten Jimmy Young (I thought Foreman had an off day that day - he didn't look confident. And George seemed to change after losing to Ali). Anyway, defeating Young would bring him to the era of Holmes. Holmes would have the best chance of defeating Foreman in the late 70s, but that's based from theory only. Foreman has power Holmes has never faced (with the possible exception of Tyson, and we all know what happened there).

The tricky part is because George performed so well in his second coming, we can't say his skills would be greatly diminishing as time went on. Even in the 90s, he almost beat Holyfield! So for me, it would either be Holmes, Tyson, or Holyfield that would get Big George eventually. I would say a prime Tyson might get George, but even that's not certain. Tyson struggled with big guys, and George destroyed little guys (as well as mid-size guys too!) If Tyson was super motivated, like against Berbick, he would outpoint George and get the nod. If he wasn't motivated, George could/would take him.

Getting back to Holmes, Holmes may have the skills to out-box George, but George would certainly put Holmes on the canvas. More than once too. If Holmes can take the punishment of Big George for 15 rounds without getting knocked down (back then it would have been 15), Holmes would win on points. But that's a big if, and perhaps more unlikely than not.

And my final $0.02 on the topic, is that it's just crazy for any heavyweight to reign undefeated for more than 10 years. Imagine the toll it would take on anyon'es body and brain if you were getting beaten on by top guys for a decade, and still expect to beat everyone! (wait a minute, didn't Wlad do that?)

Re: If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

George Jefferson
Well Holmes was inspired by Ali. He was good, but a poor man's Ali regarding his style, only he flicked the jab twice as much and didn't have the shuffle. With no Ali to be an influence I bet Foreman mows down Larry and keeps the title until losing in an upset during an off night. Eventually he would slip and get lazy and someone would catch him. Could be anyone. Tony Tucker. Holyfield. Tyson. Ruddock. Bowe. Anyone has a chance considering George's aging and possibilty of a lazy night.

Re: If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

Holmes would have figured Foreman out. That constant flick of a jab would constantly disrupt and frustrate Foreman. Larry was no Ali but his footwork was good enough to avoid getting pinned down. Larry had the stamina to go 12 rounds, unlike prime Foreman. Also Larry could take a punch. I don’t see Foreman stopping him.

Realistically Foreman would rule until fighting a peak Larry Holmes somewhere around 1978-80.

I can see the critics making excuses now. “Foreman is getting old” or “Foreman had an off night.” Larry would then defeat him again in a rematch but still not get respect.

Re: If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

Holmes would have figured Foreman out. That constant flick of a jab would constantly disrupt and frustrate Foreman. Larry was no Ali but his footwork was good enough to avoid getting pinned down. Larry had the stamina to go 12 rounds, unlike prime Foreman. Also Larry could take a punch. I don’t see Foreman stopping him.
You don't think Foreman would cut the ring a few times in 15 rounds? I can imagine George getting Larry dangerously cornered several times and possibly knocking him down. Larry may have the best chance in being the one to stop George, but for me it could go either way. As well, Goerge's stamina would not have been as exposed to everyone if, say, Ali did not use the rope-a-dope and was defeated by George.

Re: If Foreman had beat Ali in Zaire...

Will69 wrote

You don't think Foreman would cut the ring a few times in 15 rounds?  I can imagine George getting Larry dangerously cornered several times and possibly knocking him down.  Larry may have the best chance in being the one to stop George, but for me it could go either way.  As well, Goerge's stamina would not have been as exposed to everyone if, say, Ali did not use the rope-a-dope and was defeated by George.
Foreman would no doubt cut the ring and ring Larry's bell at some point, but by the time 15 rounds is up Foreman would be exhausted (if he even made it that far) and Larry would still be fighting bravely. Foreman may get a knockdown, but Holmes had an iron chin. He survived that knockdown from Shavers. That alone is a miracle. And it took a prime Tyson three knockdowns to seal the deal. So I don't see Foreman knocking Larry out.

 "Rumble in the jungle" or not, Foreman's stamina issues would have been exposed eventually. Most of his knockouts were early, and I think Larry would be the only guy around to take him in the deep waters.