If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

We know that Larry came within a hair of matching Rocky's undefeated record. Had he defeated Michael Spinks, he would have gone 49-0.

But would Rocky have gone 49-0 against the same guys Larry triumphed over? This would put him against ancient Ali, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers, Trevor Berbrick, Tex Cobbs, Renaldo Snipes, Gerry Cooney and the others Larry fought up until 1985.

How would Rocky do? Personally I think he would pick up some losses here or there.

Re: If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

Re: If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

Ken Norton alone would be a tough, tough fight, though I think Rocky may knock him out. Rocky may knock out Shavers too. The guys Larry fought may not have been household names, but they were tough. I'd be curious to see how Rocky would pull it off against someone like Tim Witherspoon.

Re: If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

Zombies Ate Me
Rocky would have bulked up in this era. I heard that naturally he was as big as Frazier or almost as big as Tyson but trained to stay in a lean small frame. Guys in those days trained down. A bigger Rocky would fare okay in this era. I would love to see him clash with Norton and Shavers. He had the punch to scramble both.

Re: If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Rocky would have bulked up in this era.
But that's the problem I have with putting Marciano in modern eras. He never bulked up or fought at that weight, so we'll never know how it could have possibly effected his stamina and condition. The extra weight may make him punch slower. The whole scenario is hypothical anyway but we're putting a fantasy bulked up Marciano that never existed into the ring with these guys.

If we're going to put Rocky in there with true heavyweights, we could at least put him in at the weight he actually fought at, which would allow us to make a more realistic hypothesis.

Re: If Marciano fought Larry Holmes' opponents

Ken Norton alone would be a tough, tough fight, though I think Rocky may knock him out. Rocky may knock out Shavers too. The guys Larry fought may not have been household names, but they were tough. I'd be curious to see how Rocky would pull it off against someone like Tim Witherspoon.
Witherspoon damn near knocked out Larry in round 9.

Rocky has a chance against Shavers (if Quarry could knock him out in round 1, so could Rocky) but Rocky was a slow starter at times so it's likely that Shavers scores the big punch first.

Rocky might be able to overwhelm and knock out Norton but Norton would likely put Rocky on the canvas a time or two himself.