If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

.....imagine you're training a guy to fight a peaking 1938 Joe Louis. He's staring at you both from across the ring with that mean, non-blinking stare. What would your strategy be? What would you tell your young ward to do?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

 What would you tell your young ward to do?
Young ward? I don't know what I'd tell young Robin to do!

But Louis himself said he hated "track meets." If Conn hadn't gotten stupid he would have beaten Joe Louis. So I'd tell young Robin to run like hell and after beating Louis I might be nice enough to promote him to NightWing!

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Bert Sugar
49-0 wrote
But Louis himself said he hated "track meets." If Conn hadn't gotten stupid he would have beaten Joe Louis. So I'd tell young Robin to run like hell and after beating Louis I might be nice enough to promote him to NightWing!
Joe wouldn't chase you. But what happened to Jersey Joe Walcott, Bob Pastor and Billy Conn when he caught them? He knocked them out. Each of them. Joe said it best before the Billy Conn rematch. "You can run but you can't hide."

You also can't make a single mistake against Joe Louis. One tiny miniscule technical mistake would end in disaster. Ask Billy Conn about that. Also Joe Louis was the greatest finisher in the history of boxing including Mike Tyson. Once he had you on the hook, you were on the hook! Check the history books and fight records. No one escaped Joe once he had them hurt.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Evan Fields
Like Ali, there is no perfect strategy to beat Louis. Stay on your bicycle, attack from the distance and try to time him with a right hand. Joe was vulnerable to right hands his entire career. I noticed some guys dropped him with mean lefts like Galento and Marciano but it was always right hands that kept him down for keeps.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

49-0 wrote

Young ward? I don't know what I'd tell young Robin to do!

Ummm...ok. So am I going to be the first one not to ignore this strange picture? First, it looks like a gender-bending female posing as Robin. Looks like a girl to me. But if it is a girl, why the hell is she bulging out of her crotch that way?

Very disturbing. And lastly I don't wanna know where you found this picture!

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Courtney
Haha! I'm glad someone finally pointed out the elephant in the room.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Zombies Ate Me
Courtney wrote
Haha! I'm glad someone finally pointed out the elephant in the room.
IKR!! Everyone was acting like this disturbing photo of "Robin" wasn't sitting here, bulging at us.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Evan Fields wrote
Like Ali, there is no perfect strategy to beat Louis. Stay on your bicycle, attack from the distance and try to time him with a right hand. Joe was vulnerable to right hands his entire career. I noticed some guys dropped him with mean lefts like Galento and Marciano but it was always right hands that kept him down for keeps.
Either get on your bicycle and stay there, or get right in there and crowd Louis. Bycycling or crowding wouldn't guarantee victory but both fight plans make Joe uncomfortable so you'd have a chance and it would most likely take him a while to hurt you.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Fighting Louis is tricky because it's all over once he hurts you. For example I can imagine Larry Holmes having an easy field day for many rounds against Louis until Louis lands his dynamite. I wouldn't advise crowding Louis because that uppercut is lethal. It's probably best to stick and move, dart in and out, and don't let Louis get a foot and a half close to you or catch you in the middle of the ring. Just do not get cocky or careless for even a second because that's all it takes for Joe to crush you.

After seeing what happened to Arturo Godoy, Jack Sharkey, Tony Galento and some of the others who tried smothering Louis, I wouldn't advise it unless you're a pro swarmer like Frazier and Marciano. But even they wouldn't be safe doing this in Joe's prime.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

redfeng007
That will be my favorite combination.

Right uppercut to stun your opponent...

And left hook to finish him off.

Ali also did that to Jerry Quarry on their second fight.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Malik Wright
redfeng007 wrote

And left hook to finish him off.

Left hook? You know that's an uppercut Louis is throwing there, right?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Phantom Punch
Yeah. Either uppercut from Joe was lethal.

It's like I said in the thread about fighting Ali, the key is to make these guys uncomfortable. What makes Louis uncomfortable? Swarmers and runners. A guy like Floyd Patterson should be a wonderful Louis opponent because he combined both of those styles, but his chin would get him knocked out quick.

Outboxing Louis from the distance and staying out of reach is your best bet to avoid getting annihilated. Joe cut the ring well but was slow of foot. He'll corner you at times but not real often. Stay on the bicycle and never let him get too close. Cruise to victory by decision and don't fuck up trying to knock him out the way Billy Conn did.

And WTF is up with that Robin pic?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Brooklyn's Finest
"RUN!! RUN LITTLE MAN!!!" would be my strategy. Just don't let Joe get close enough to land. Stay out of his reach. All he needs is one punch and you're in serious trouble.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

49-0
Yes its a female dressed as Robin with a sock stuffed in the crotch. I found it on some kinky Batman costumes site.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

MAGUIRE
49-0 wrote
Yes its a female dressed as Robin with a sock stuffed in the crotch. I found it on some kinky Batman costumes site.
I'm scared to ask..
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

49-0 wrote
Yes its a female dressed as Robin with a sock stuffed in the crotch. I found it on some kinky Batman costumes site.
Pictures like the one you posted and statements like this one (along with your threads about Mike Tyson's underwear, Brock Lesnar's bulge, Frazier's "thick ass" and other questionable topics) are the reasons why people here constantly question your sexuality bro. Just sayin'.

Joe Louis packed a punch and was one of the most skilled boxers of all times. But he was slow of foot and rather robotic. Don't stand still and let him hit you..

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Phantom Punch wrote
Yeah. Either uppercut from Joe was lethal.

It's like I said in the thread about fighting Ali, the key is to make these guys uncomfortable. What makes Louis uncomfortable? Swarmers and runners. A guy like Floyd Patterson should be a wonderful Louis opponent because he combined both of those styles, but his chin would get him knocked out quick.

Outboxing Louis from the distance and staying out of reach is your best bet to avoid getting annihilated. Joe cut the ring well but was slow of foot. He'll corner you at times but not real often. Stay on the bicycle and never let him get too close. Cruise to victory by decision and don't fuck up trying to knock him out the way Billy Conn did.

And WTF is up with that Robin pic?
Good post. Mobility was something Louis hated. But dare I say, 15 rounds is a looooooong time. You get tired of running after so long, and Louis was one of the best conditioned heavyweights of all time. His stamina was great, and you may think you're ahead but he's plotting your demise as early as round 1. You know he used to carry many of his opponents. He was the greatest finisher of all time. Running should be part of your strategy. But not the entire strategy because like Conn and the others will tell you, it doesn't work.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

Sivul
Urban Legend wrote
Good post. Mobility was something Louis hated. But dare I say, 15 rounds is a looooooong time. You get tired of running after so long, and Louis was one of the best conditioned heavyweights of all time. His stamina was great, and you may think you're ahead but he's plotting your demise as early as round 1. You know he used to carry many of his opponents. He was the greatest finisher of all time. Running should be part of your strategy. But not the entire strategy because like Conn and the others will tell you, it doesn't work.
All it takes is one mistake on your part and your gonna be laying unconscious on the canvas. Either hand could destroy you and the man was quick like a cobra. Did anyone focus on attacking him in the body? maybe this could sap his strength and speed, giving you a chance later.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Joe Louis......

South Pacific
Sivul wrote
Did anyone focus on attacking him in the body? maybe this could sap his strength and speed, giving you a chance later.
Admittedly I don't know half as much about Joe Louis as most of you. But I imagine a puncher like Louis would lose a lot of steam if he got hit often enough in the body. Anyone would. Didn't this happen to him in the fight with Marciano? I haven't seen the fight (though I've seen the knockout) I read on this forum that Louis was winning early on but Marciano's body punches grounded him down for the eventual knockout.
12