If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

.....it's 2002. Lennox Lewis is fresh off a knockout win over Mike Tyson. Your fighter talked a lot of smack during the pre-fight hype, but nothing seems to faze the giant Lewis. Lennox is tall, huge, and very in tune with his body, skills and accomplishments. Emanuel Steward whispers something to him prior to the bell. Lewis then winks at your boxer. The bell rings. Lennox approaches your pupil....what happens next?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

BAD INTENTIONS
Interesting. I am a trainer and I've seen Lewis train once...

It depends on the size of my fighter. If he's 5'9-6'2 I'd tell him to work the body every chance he gets...keep moving...stay away from that jab as much as you can....when you get close zap him in the body. Lennox is a big man...he gets tired later in the fight....as the bout goes on you can move in and then land two or three to the body and scram, just don't stay inside long enough to where Lewis can land that uppercut or clinch you.....maybe by the 10th-12th round Lewis may be sloppy and tired enough from the long fight and body punches that you can move in aggressively and go for the knockout.

If my guy was 6'3 or taller then it's different. I'd tell him to outjab Lennox....it's not impossible to do as I've seen smaller men like Mercer and Holyfield do it...being closer in height to Lewis would make it easier....counter Lennox's jab with your own to set up combinations or knockout blows when the time is right. MUCH easier said that done. Lennox is a patient fighter, so my guy would have to be patient too. If he gets overzealous and tries to stop Lewis early he would get KO'd himself...that's what happened to Golota, Ruddock, Grant and Briggs.

Anyway those are my keys to victory. Great thread series btw...

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Bert Sugar
If you hit him right on the chin, you have a chance to pull the upset. Ask Oliver McCall or Hasim Rahman about that..

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Evolution
Bert Sugar wrote
If you hit him right on the chin, you have a chance to pull the upset.
Not true. Would someone with a glass jaw survive punches from Mercer, Tua, Tyson, Ruddock, Butler, Vitali and Morrison? In his long career he was only decked twice and both times he was caught off guard while making a mistake. Good grief. Lennox. had. a. good. chin. I'd rate it a 7 1/2 out of 10.

As for me, I fought him as an amateur and sparred with him years later when he was heavyweight champion.

Lennox was one of the best in the world and I say that with the upmost conviction. However he could be lazy and had some flaws. Bouncing off the ropes was one of them (something famously exploited by Rahman) fighting with his hands low, etc. But these were things he did only when he felt he had complete control over the fight. So you'll have to look out for his arrogant mistakes to capitalize on.

He also blinked before throwing the jab. Shortly before I quit working with him I caught onto that and was countering his jab with relative ease.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

^^Sounds like you're saying to play dumb and let Lewis' arrogance get the better of him so you can capitalize. Nice.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Shogun of Harlem
Yeah. You basically gotta give Lennox enough rope to hang himself. Both of his losses were his own fault. Just stay away from his right hand..

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Easy. Lennox is a mama's boy. Kidnap his mama and grab her booty. Lennox would be so pissed off he wouldn't be able to think straight! He comes right after you, throws himself off balance throwing big blows and tires himself out fast, giving you plenty of counter opportunities.

Lennox always appeared calm and chill but if you f**k with his mama I bet that'll change! Get him mad so he makes careless mistakes.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Left Hook From Hell...
Rosco wrote
Easy. Lennox is a mama's boy. Kidnap his mama and grab her booty. Lennox would be so pissed off he wouldn't be able to think straight! He comes right after you, throws himself off balance throwing big blows and tires himself out fast, giving you plenty of counter opportunities.

Lennox always appeared calm and chill but if you f**k with his mama I bet that'll change! Get him mad so he makes careless mistakes.
Hell naw! ROTFL!!!!!

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

I think a ruthless inside brawler could beat him possibly. Jab him in the body and zap his strength. It worked for Holyfield and Mercer. Holyfield did really well in the rematch but was older and could only get off in spurts. Mercer fought a close fight too, but gave the last two rounds away. If you get in his chest and pound the body, Lewis will abandon the jab for a slugfest and if you keep a high workrate you can win on points; maybe even slip something past him to knock him out.

If Joe Frazier had a better chin he'd be perfect to for this strategy. '97 David Tua would probably succeed too, as he had the chin to withstand Lewis' power shots. If my fighter was a few inches shorter than Lewis and had the chin and the workrate, I'd pick this as a strategy. Go to war.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

.....it's 2002. Lennox Lewis is fresh off a knockout win over Mike Tyson. Your fighter talked a lot of smack during the pre-fight hype, but nothing seems to faze the giant Lewis. Lennox is tall, huge, and very in tune with his body, skills and accomplishments. Emanuel Steward whispers something to him prior to the bell. Lewis then winks at your boxer. The bell rings. Lennox approaches your pupil....what happens next?
No strategy nessesary. Just hit this mane square on the jaw.

I'd hit him twice as hard just for winking at a nigga..

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

I think a ruthless inside brawler could beat him possibly. Jab him in the body and zap his strength. It worked for Holyfield and Mercer. Holyfield did really well in the rematch but was older and could only get off in spurts. Mercer fought a close fight too, but gave the last two rounds away. If you get in his chest and pound the body, Lewis will abandon the jab for a slugfest and if you keep a high workrate you can win on points; maybe even slip something past him to knock him out.

If Joe Frazier had a better chin he'd be perfect to for this strategy. '97 David Tua would probably succeed too, as he had the chin to withstand Lewis' power shots. If my fighter was a few inches shorter than Lewis and had the chin and the workrate, I'd pick this as a strategy. Go to war.
Yeah. Lewis didn't like getting hit in the body. I noticed that too. He always stopped the jab and technical strategies and tried brawling if you sustained a good body attack.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Brooklyn's Finest
[...]

You're the best person here to make an opinion because you fought him. I'd like to add that Lennox could be outjabbed, as he was outjabbed by Bruno, Mercer and Holyfield (rematch). He could be outfought too, as Holyfield and Mercer nearly did and Vitali was on the verge of doing. Lennox was great but hard to beat because he fought so cautious. But to me he seemed very beatable.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

49-0
A cautious fighter is always hard to beat because he relies on defense and doesn't engage much. To beat Lennox I'd set up a strategy to be able to set up a clean knockout. Set up the punch in advance so he'll be unprepared. Like Evolution said, take advantage of the cocky flaws he may present. When you see the opening BANG! Knockout.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

MAGUIRE
I don't think there's a solid strategy to beat someone like Lennox. Lennox and Emanuel used to pry on the weaknesses of their opponents so I would change everything up for my fighter. Lennox would train looking for weakness A or B but I'd tell my guy to change everything up in his style to confuse Lennox.

Fighting an awkward fight would help also, as Lennox struggled with Zeljo Maverick and Vitali Klitsckho. Bring a game plan that Lennox would not be expecting. Lennox planned on just outboxing Ray Mercer with his jab the way Larry Holmes did. Little did he know that Ray was gonna come out slugging and outjabbing Lennox!! Lennox wasn't prepared to go to hell with Mercer and back. He nearly lost because of it. Some say he should have lost that fight.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif
Luc

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Luc
Someone with an absolute iron chin of their own and terrific stamina could in theory stick in punching range for the whole duration and stick to him

Mercer fought a great fight against Lewis by not giving him space to think. Lewis didn't like that

But it's much easier said than done cause in that range you will take some pretty severe uppercuts and combinations

Someone with Mercer's chin, Joe Frazier stamina and level of output, be about 6 feet 2, and have Tyson's two handed power

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Alexander

.....it's 2002. Lennox Lewis is fresh off a knockout win over Mike Tyson. Your fighter talked a lot of smack during the pre-fight hype, but nothing seems to faze the giant Lewis. Lennox is tall, huge, and very in tune with his body, skills and accomplishments. Emanuel Steward whispers something to him prior to the bell. Lewis then winks at your boxer. The bell rings. Lennox approaches your pupil....what happens next?
Speed.
Let the big brit tire himself out chasing you.
If you noticed Lennox almost always appeared exhausted in the latter rounds
He always had the heart to pull off the win but in those cases Holyfield was too old, Mercer gave it away and Zelkjo didn't have the experience.
I would suggest getting on your bicycle and tire him out then suck punch him late when he's heaving.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

South Pacific
Alexander wrote
If you noticed Lennox almost always appeared exhausted in the latter rounds
He was fine in the late rounds against Tua but that's probably because he didn't extend much energy in that fight

That's a good enough strategy. When he's tired throw the right hand. Both times he was stopped it was due to a right hand so that's definitely the punch to throw when he's weary.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Alexander wrote
I would suggest getting on your bicycle and tire him out then suck punch him late when he's heaving.
I ain't telling my fighter to "suck punch" anybody!  Sucker punch, maybe. But suck-punch sounds like something that goes on in the domestic violence of a gay marriage

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Lennox Lewis...

Zombies Ate Me
I agree with Alexander's strategy of getting him tired and then setting up a right hand. Either that or outwork him the way Ray Mercer nearly did.
12