If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Luc

If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Luc
Any thoughts

I'd say the obvious were:

1. Survive the first 5 rounds at all costs (easier said than done)
2. Somehow guard for that uppercut. Keep your chin tucked
3. Work damn hard in training on those legs so you can push him backwards in a clinch

4. Pray

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

It's Dale
Prayer is good! Prayer is very good.

Add to that a fearless jab and solid uppercut and you have a shot at beating Tyson.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Alexander
Of all the guys who fought Mike I still say Evander Holyfield used the best strategy.
Why?
Buster Douglas caught Mike on an off night/Lennox caught him when he was long past it.
Both used the same strategy leading with a jab.
If Mike were prime and focused he would have slaughtered them both.
Press Mike the way Holyfield did.
Don't take a backward step.
Force and push him back.
He can't fight backwards.
Buster Mathis Jr had success with this same strategy before getting KO'd.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

South Pacific
Mike always punches his way inside and pauses to reset. That's when you need to let loose and attack.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Provided that the boxer is as strong as Tyson.

Tyson still has the big body mass.

Holyfield is able to achieve that because he is a very strong man.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

I don't think you always need strength to beat Tyson. You need a gameplan and the skill to carry it through.

I'd look at Tyson's weaknesses. Pinklon Thomas jabbed Tyson's head off because he and Angelo Dundee noticed a pattern in Tyson's head movement during his bob and weave, so they were able to time his head movement and jab him square in the face. This was frustrating to Tyson.

Pushing him back and forcing him to fight on the backfoot, a'la Holyfield, is also a good strategy, as Tyson is most powerful coming forward.

The jab-grab-uppercut strategy used by Douglas and Lewis worked for them but you have to be a tall man with long reach to do it. There are other ways to beat Tyson.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Brooklyn's Finest
Strategies sound good on paper but that's it. On paper. I sparred with Mike in 1986 as he approached his peak. He hurt. And he's faster than you believe, even faster in person. He was magic in the ring. Pure magic. In his prime I don't hesistate to say he was the greatest of all time disregarding Muhammad Ali.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Evolution
Brooklyn's Finest wrote
Strategies sound good on paper but that's it. On paper. I sparred with Mike in 1986 as he approached his peak. He hurt. And he's faster than you believe, even faster in person. He was magic in the ring. Pure magic. In his prime I don't hesistate to say he was the greatest of all time disregarding Muhammad Ali.
When you fight someone like Tyson, all strategy goes out the window when you get hit. That first punch changes everything.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

redfeng007
Provided that you can take Tyson's punch as well.

For example.

As soon as the bell rang, Tyson hit Holyfield's face first.

Holyfield took the first punch well and counter back.

It is up to how individual fighter handle the situation.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Evolution
There are not many Holyfields out there. Evander is one of the toughest and most courageous boxers of all time - the best I ever shared a ring with.

Let Mike Tyson hit YOU square on the chin. It's lights out. Evander would always beat Mike anyway. It's only a handful of men with all the requirements to beat young Mike Tyson.

What are the requirements?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

What are the requirements?
A solid chin

Fearless jab

Attack him when he pauses to clinch and reset

Clinch his arms

Keep moving and giving him misdirection

Endurance to still be fresh in the later rounds when Tyson is no longer as explosive

Guys who meet the criteria: Muhammad Ali, Evander Holyfield, James Buster Douglas, Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Joe Louis. The above strategy works for men 6'2 or higher in height. Someone closer in height to Tyson would need a different battle plan. You could outwork him on the inside but it's a gamble because that's where Tyson's uppercut and hooks register maximum leverage and power.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Luc wrote
2. Somehow guard for that uppercut. Keep your chin tucked
Lorenzo Boyd had that strategy in mind but he couldn't keep his hands up because Tyson would slam him in the body. He talked about this after he was knocked out. He knew the uppercut was coming after the body blow, but it's a natural reflex to bring your arms down to protect your ribcage after getting struck there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdssHh1Yz8

Guys who meet the criteria: Muhammad Ali, Evander Holyfield, James Buster Douglas, Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Joe Louis. The above strategy works for men 6'2 or higher in height. Someone closer in height to Tyson would need a different battle plan. You could outwork him on the inside but it's a gamble because that's where Tyson's uppercut and hooks register maximum leverage and power.
In a nutshell, a guy has to know how to effectively use his height and reach to beat him if he's tall. Shorter fighters are in range to get wacked out most times, but the tall guys have a chance if they're not afraid to punch at him and keep the fight at long range. Catch him with the straight right as he tries to come in.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

How about Riddick Bowe?

He is better than James Buster Douglas.

Provided that he did train very hard.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson Sparring with McCall.

Joe Frazier is watching at the ring side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLn3ySYWMM

Never know Frazier trained McCall in those days...

It kinda of remind me of Holyfield's first fight with Tyson.

Didn't know last year 2014, Tyson already has a new adult cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-K2yI9EkAs

Heard that Tyson wants to fight a Gorilla in real life, but he gets to uppercut a T-Rex on his cartoon...

Luc

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Luc
There are not many Holyfields out there. Evander is one of the toughest and most courageous boxers of all time - the best I ever shared a ring with.

Let Mike Tyson hit YOU square on the chin. It's lights out. Evander would always beat Mike anyway. It's only a handful of men with all the requirements to beat young Mike Tyson.
Always beat him?

I recently re-watched that first fight and before Tyson started gassing he was winning in my books.

If they fight 10 times I'd give it 5 wins against 5

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Evolution
Luc wrote
Always beat him?

I recently re-watched that first fight and before Tyson started gassing he was winning in my books.

If they fight 10 times I'd give it 5 wins against 5
Mike was still losing but it was much more competitive until the 7th round when they bumped heads. Mike said he couldn't remember anything after that and was a zombie.

Evander always had Mike's number. He kept Mike on the backfoot to minimize his power, countered Mike two or three times for each punch Mike threw, and shoved him around the ring with ease. Mike was surprised by Evander's surprise strength.

Emanuel Steward and Eddie Futch have also stated numerous times that Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield would always defeat Mike Tyson.

Furthermore after seeing peak Mike struggle with Tillis, Bonecrusher, Green, Tucker and some others, don't you think an all-time great warrior like Evander would come out victorious against Mike?
Luc

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Luc
Evolution wrote
[...]

I think he would perhaps half of the time.

I agree that Holyfield's

1. Tactical nous
2. Chin
3. Strength in a clinch
4. Counter punching
5. Bravery ...

... always cause any version of Tyson serious issues.

But watching that fight back as I recently have, Holyfield is still shocked at Tyson's power. The difference in power is pretty big. Tyson is a naturally bigger and more powerful man than Holyfield and if he's in top shape both mentally and physically (rare, I know), he could knock Holyfield out.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Prime Mike Tyson

Rosco
I agree that the best strategy is to clinch him when he lets you and then attack him viciously when he collects himself to reset. That's the best time to attack him. It's a shame no one really did that other than Douglas.
12