If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

....it's 1956. Staring at you from across the ring is the hard rock from Brockton...The Brockton Blockbuster Rocky Marciano. He knocked out Archie Moore in his most recent fight and now he's looking to get that golden 50-0 record at the expense of your boxer.

As usual, Rocky appears calm and poker-faced. You trained your boxer hard for this fight, but you know in your heart than no one can out-train Rocky Marciano. The bell rings and before you realize it Rocky has already smashed your boxer with the Suzy-Q! Your man's knees buckle. He's already hurt by the first punch! What happens next? Does he survive? If so, what's the strategy for a victory?

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Left Hook From Hell...
Love the dramatics, AJ! Great scene setting here.

I'd tell my guy to shove Rocky off of him to clear his head and use the ring to stay away from him. Keep a jab in his face and "box" him. I'd tell him to fight the fight that Harry Matthews attempted to fight but failed.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

 I'd tell him to fight the fight that Harry Matthews attempted to fight but failed.
Yeah...all was fine until that plan got derailed in the second round.

Even so, no one was better conditioned for a fight than Rocky. Eventually he'll overcome you and knock you out. It almost never failed. Archie Moore was doing a great job counter-punching Rocky early on, but then Rocky turned up the heat and overwhelmed him with his trademark brutality.

Photobucket

If you're similar in size to Rocky I don't think out-boxing him would work. If I was training someone to fight him, I'd tell him to fight Rocky the way Ezzard Charles did; a combination of boxing and slugging. Rocky won those fights, but Ezzard did really well because one minute he's boxing and countering, and the next he's going toe to toe. Rocky could barely keep up. He never knew what Ezzard would do next.

However, if my boxer was a huge tall guy, maybe 6'3 or over, and if he had tremendous punching strength, I'd tell him to bomb Rocky out early. I'm not sure if that would work either, but since Rocky was floored by light heavyweights like Moore and Walcott, I'm assuming a 200 + pound monster slugger could stop him.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

49-0
Forgive me if I'm biased because RM IS my favorite boxer after all.  However what strategy could you use against such a determined pillar of strength that fought like boxing's version of the energizer bunny? Like George Foreman said, "When the bell rings Rocky would be on you" and that's true. He's coming right you throwing sledgehammer attacks and even if you're a great counterpuncher (like Archie Moore for instance) you couldn't deflect everything Rocky threw. That pressure was unrelenting. Here's a guy who attacked your arms and broke blood vessels!

My best bet would be to stay away from him as best you can. But it's only a matter of time before he crushes you. And the way Rocky cut the ring he hunts you down like a dog. In the 14th round you'll be tired (if you make it that long) but Rocky would still be fresh. One punch could end it at anytime.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Bert Sugar
"He doesn't punch by the book but I got hit by a library tonight."

Joe Louis

"Every punch was like I got hit by a blackjack or bag of rocks."

Archie Moore.

Rocky wasn't a boxer. He was a slugger. He'd take one to give one. Or he'd take TWO to give one. And he had the greatest right hand in the history of boxing. Jersey Joe Walcott got hit by a sledgehammer. He might still be lying there for all I know...

Rocky Marciano was a rarity in boxing. He was a clutch fighter. When in trouble he always answered the call and finished you off. I wouldn't get too comfortable if you're ahead in the fight. All Rocky needs is one shot.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

What you guys are saying is absolutely true. A man with dynamite in his fists who refuses to lose is going to be really tough to beat.

I also wanted to throw in something else; press him. Mike Tyson said in the '80s that to beat Marciano you have to press him. Marciano could only fight forward, so force him backward on his heels to minimize his power and tenacity. He couldn't fight backward. This is what Holyfield did to Tyson. Other than Don Cockell, no one pressed Rocky. But Cockell did such a sloppy job of it that I'm not sure if it counts. But it's a decent strategy that was rarely used against him, and it enabled Cockell to last long in the fight.

Last but not least; be accurate with your blows. Open a cut. Rocky was known to cut easy. If you can't "out-tough" Rocky, at least get the blood flowing enough so the ref stops the fight in your favor.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Evan Fields
Rocky could be beaten. He just never met the guy or the circumstances to make it happen. Of all the posts here I agree with some of Duggerman's theories. Mixing it up against Rocky may confuse him and keep you ahead and if you have the accuracy you should target certain areas on Rocky's tender face to open a cut. Ezzard Charles nearly beat Rocky twice. Just imagine if he had the size and strength of someone like Ike Ibeabuchi? Seeing Ike fight so brilliantly against Tua and seeing him absorb those shots all night shows me that he would beat Rocky too.

As far as pressing goes, you may be on to something there. Maybe. Rocky was stronger than he looked. Someone the size of Riddick Bowe would be able to shove Rocky back and keep him at bay for short periods but I'm not sure if this would generate a win especially when Rocky gets close and turns up the volume.

I'd tell my "young pupil" to lead with the jab, counter when you see it, and surprise Rocky with hooks and uppercuts. Let your fists fly, but only at certain moments. A shootout brawl with Rocky would get you killed. Pick your moments the way Ezzard Charles did. Mix it up. Keep him guessing. If you open a cut, mo' betta.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Photobucket

If you're similar in size to Rocky I don't think out-boxing him would work.
You're absolutely right. Archie had a great game plan but was too small to pull it off successfully. He was right on Rocky's level and within his reach. Someone with more height and range could fight Moore's fight-plan and tear Rocky to shreds with counters each time he tries to dive in. A defensive strategy against Rocky would never work if you're similar in height and weight.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Shogun of Harlem
As crazy as it sounds, I'd tell my boxer to get go get em early. Rocky was vulnerable early on. Go out there, get in his face and sock him good. You see how surprised Rocky looked against Walcott in the first round? Walcott's mistake was thinking he KO'd Marciano. He turned around and was surprised to see him back up. He assumed he'd knocked him out. Big mistake. Go out there and destroy the Rock early before he warms up later and destroys you.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Malik Wright
Beat him to the punch...be first always. Sock him before he socks you. He never fought a prime slugger over 200 pounds that packed real dynamite so we don't know how great his chin really was.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Shogun of Harlem wrote
As crazy as it sounds, I'd tell my boxer to get go get em early. Rocky was vulnerable early on. Go out there, get in his face and sock him good. You see how surprised Rocky looked against Walcott in the first round? Walcott's mistake was thinking he KO'd Marciano. He turned around and was surprised to see him back up. He assumed he'd knocked him out. Big mistake. Go out there and destroy the Rock early before he warms up later and destroys you.
Yeah. Fight him the same way you'd fight Joe Frazier. Don't let it go past 4 or 5 rounds. If you do, they're gonna outwork you. Do everything in your power to get an early win. Throw the big bombs early on. The few times Frazier and Marciano were floored it happened in rounds 1 or 2. That's when the window is open.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Brooklyn's Finest
Slug, box and counter. He'll give you plenty countering opportunities with those looping haymakers he throws. Don't stay in front of him too long and don't tire yourself out trying to knock him out. Be patient. It's going to be a long fight but it's possible to win on points, or open a cut.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Sivul
Rocky's weaknesses were his soft skin and looping haymakers which threw him off balance. I recall several fights when Rocky threw himself to the ground in attempts to land a grand slam. I'd suggest countering those looping blows and targeting his nose or other vulnerable facial points to open a cut.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Alexander
Sivul wrote
Rocky's weaknesses were his soft skin and looping haymakers which threw him off balance. I recall several fights when Rocky threw himself to the ground in attempts to land a grand slam. I'd suggest countering those looping blows and targeting his nose or other vulnerable facial points to open a cut.
Yes.
Go straight for the nose

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

George Jefferson
I hesitate to say what style or fight plan would beat him because he fought many different styles and conquered them all whether they were smooth boxers like Matthews, counterpunchers like Moore, brawlers like LaStarza, boxer-punchers like Louis, etc. Someone may have been able to lick him but we'll never know who or what style. Just do your best and you may get lucky. The less Rocky hits you, the better off you are.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Shane
A guy like Rocky would always be extremely tought to beat.

1) He never lost. He's mentally tough and didn't expect to lose. Ever

2) He may just be the best "clutch" fighter of all times. Every time he was dangerously close to defeat, he suddenly got the kayo he desperately needed. Here's a guy who always found a way to win. With that kind of experience, power and mental toughness, it's gonna be tough to beat him.

3) It could all end with one punch at any time. You're not safe any time between rounds 1-15.

4) He threw so many blows and cut the ring well. He kept attacking and never let up on you. He never tired. He was one of the two best swarming heavyweights in history.

5) He was the best conditioned heavyweight ever. He came into each fight at 110%.

There are some good strategies in this thread. Stop him early, open a cut, mix it up, keep him guessing. Those are all great. But at the end of the day none of them ever worked! My best advice would be to keep it at long range as much as possible. Don't let him get close or close the gap. Walcott was doing a great job and comfortably ahead on the cards before getting blasted. I would tell my boxer to train twice as hard to work on conditioning so they can move for 15 rounds and not get tired. If you get winded or take your eye off the ball for a single second with Rocky then it's over.

Keep the jab and straight in his face and keep moving and you'll have a chance. Maybe.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

I believe that long fight is Rocky's advantage.

Only someone as tough as Ezzard Charles can last 15 rounds.

10 rounds should be safe if opponents want to beat Rocky by decision or to survive.

Ted Lowry, Don Mogard, Willis Applegate and Roland.

After 10 rounds,

Jersey Joe Walcott was stopped at 13th.

Roland was stopped at 11th. Even he never used rope a dude, Rocky would wear him down with crazy stamina.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

George Jefferson wrote
I hesitate to say what style or fight plan would beat him because he fought many different styles and conquered them all whether they were smooth boxers like Matthews, counterpunchers like Moore, brawlers like LaStarza, boxer-punchers like Louis, etc. Someone may have been able to lick him but we'll never know who or what style. Just do your best and you may get lucky. The less Rocky hits you, the better off you are.
Right on. There were some guys and styles he struggled with (as all boxers do) but Rocky always overcame them and won, usually by knockout. It's tough to say which particular style would guarantee victory because none of them did.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

Evan Fields
Pick your moment and counter his haymakers. Keep him at a distance and don't let him get close.

Re: If you were training a boxer to fight Rocky Marciano

People discussing the weakness of Rocky Marciano...

Jersery Joe Walcott really pushed Rocky to fight harder than anyone else...

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZpbbPrPRAIs&autoplay=1

Gino Buonvino tried to brawl with Rocky in the rematch

But his decision to fight toe-to-toe with Marciano proved fatal...

The final blow in the second round ended with "a vicious looping right to the jaw", which put Gino down for the full count...

"We told him to box as he did in the first fight (with Marciano)," Gino's cornerman said, "but he slugged it out and paid the price."
123