Ike Ibeabuchi

Urban Legend
Thoughts on this guy? Seriously, he was one of the best fighters of all time but let his demons get the best of him. Its a real shame because he had a chin of steel, could box, could brawl, hit hard, decent hand speed, good footwork, all around amazing boxer-puncher. Watch his 12 sensational rounds with David Tua. No one else could stand up to Tua that way and not get KTFO. And watch how he knocked out Chris Bryd. Chris was one of the most slippery fighters of recent years and could take a punch but Ike caught him cold, something Tua couldn't even do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6w9I4I4T8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1autctlnlHQ

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Evolution
Oh yeah. He was tough but not an ATG. David Tua was a beast but a one dimensional beast. Ike didn't do anything Holyfield or Louis wouldn't have done. You keep an aggressive swarmer like Dave confused by boxing and slugging. He won't be able to keep up. But Ike proved his chin in this fight. Dave only hurt him once.

Ike looked great against Chris too but let's be honest. Ike was a hard hitting real heavyweight with good skills and Chris was a cruiserweight with fly swat punches that wouldn't make a dent. Chris has no chance of hurting really big guys. He doesn't have the punch. Ike wasn't a one trick pony like Dave so he blasted him out once he hurt him.

Ike is losing his mind. He hasn't been the same since the fight with Dave. He suffered a lot of headaches and declined mentally. You could say its a repeat of Manilla. Ali won the battle but Frazier won the war. Look at what happened to Ali's health after that fight. Ike beat Dave but look at his mental state.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Ike is losing his mind. He hasn't been the same since the fight with Dave. He suffered a lot of headaches and declined mentally. You could say its a repeat of Manilla. Ali won the battle but Frazier won the war. Look at what happened to Ali's health after that fight. Ike beat Dave but look at his mental state.
Are you saying that Ali's state of health is mostly related to Manilla and Ike's is related to the fight he had with Tua?
It's not like Frazier was on top mentally and physically after his career either.

I believe that punches can mess you up, especially at heavyweight. But I wouldnt know that one fight only can do it.

Tyson's speech today is slurred for example - the only fights where he really took beating were against Evander and Lennox.

Evander looks like he lost the plot - He took the worst beatings against Riddick Bowe.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Evolution
Moejoe wrote
Are you saying that Ali's state of health is mostly related to Manilla and Ike's is related to the fight he had with Tua?
Yes I am. Ali was pissing blood after Manilla. He never passed a physical after that fight and if you notice, that's when the slurring of the speech started. Right after that fight. Ali's doctor has said this numerous times and if you go back and watch any footage of Ali after the brutal 1975 fight with Frazier you'll see what I mean. Joe Frazier is responsible for Ali's health today and took pride in it. He often bragged about it.

We have a thread on this topic.

http://dugger-s-ranch.2299399.n4.nabble.com/Joe-Frazier-Is-Responsible-For-Ali-s-Declining-Health-tp3950345.html

Likewise, Ike wasn't the same after the fight with Tua. This happens to athletes sometimes. Too much trauma to the head can mentally fuck with you.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

It is true that you can see a decline in Ali's speech in the second half of the 1970ies.
But that it happened post Manilla might be just coincidence - Frazier went to the body mostly as someone pointed out.

Ali's team said that the third Norton fight really broke him. And Shavers was banging on Ali just as bad as Frazier, if not even worse.
The reason Manilla is more remembered is because it was a much better fight - Frazier always got the best out of Ali, and Ali always got the best out of Frazier. Ali and Frazier had "good chemistry" (which sounds absurd, because they were competing AGAINST each other).

Joe bragging about messing Ali up is no evidence at all. Joe was a cool guy, but he was a boxer. Not a doctor. How would HE know what caused Ali's state of heatlh if doctors all around the world dont know for sure?

If it was due to boxing, then we have to consider that Ali's way of sparring wasnt healthy at all. He paid Larry Holmes (and plenty of other sparring partners) money to rough him up, so his body would be conditioned for punishment.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

And I think I read somewhere that Ali was pissing blood two weeks post-Zaire.
Remember that Foreman punched Ali's body most of the time.

Why don't people say that Foreman didnt mess up Ali? Because he got knocked out in less than 10 rounds? Because George doesnt brag about it? Or because it was stylistically a different fight than Ali / Frazier, Ali / Shavers, Ali / Norton?

Fact of the matter is that Ali rope-a-doped Larry Holmes in sparring for severel weeks, for much more rounds than he did Foreman.

by the way, for anyone whos never seen "Muhammad and Larry":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBhmBjycrE

I love the part that begins at 4:10.
Looks like a random guy in the woods, nobody would think that is the best heavyweight of all time.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Sivul
Ali was slurring BEFORE the fight with Shavers. It started after Manilla. Joe Frazier landed his hooks on Ali's head enough times to ruin him. He didn't punch the body only. And there's no way Foreman deteriorated Ali's health. He mainly hit him in the sides. Ali was still in great shape after that fight. It was after Manilla that Ali began to suffer

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Yes we do. Ali's health and the responsible parties for it have nothing to do with Ike Ibeabuchi. Let's continue the talk of Ali's health in the thread created for it and resume talk of Ibeabuchi here.

When I think of Ike I wonder what could have been. He went 20-0, 15 wins by KO. The fight with David Tua was only his 17th fight as a professional. No one expected him to beat Tua. If only he hung around long enough to fight Evander or Lennox. Based on his performance against Tua, I believe he would have beaten Tyson around this time period. Riddick Bowe was declining and Ike would have probably beaten him, too.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Alexander
I didn't realize Ike was undefeated.
Good record, especially considering he beat David Tua and Chris Bryd in their primes.
His inexperience would have cost him against Holyfield and Lewis.
But he might beat Andrew Golota or Michael Grant. Mercer too.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Ike Ibeabuchi slipped under the radar in England, I wasn't really aware of him until quite recently when I joined this site & saw his name, definitely a wasted talent imo. His fight with Tua as an unknown was something special, toe to toe non stop action, no clinching (something I hate), Its impossible to speculate what he could have achieved on the evidence of 2 significant wins but no one beats Tua without talent & a good chin. Did this fight bring on his state of mind & subsequent behavior, causing the headaches etc, does anyone know the full story?

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Zombies Ate Me
precious wrote
 Did this fight bring on his state of mind & subsequent behavior, causing the headaches etc, does anyone know the full story?
I don't know the full story but the headaches and odd behavior didn't start until the weeks after this fight. Before this fight Ike spoke well and didn't seem out of the ordinary. Ike won the battle against Tua but certainly not the war.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Hit Em' Hard
The toe to toe war with Tua gave him the headaches that started all his mental problems and I am sure Byrd would excuse his loss to ike as a bad fight. Byrd was doing pretty well until he got caught. Ike was a good prospect but it is just two wins! what kind of resume is that? The first win started the problems that ended ibeabuchi's career.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

BAD INTENTIONS
I met Ike before and worked with him briefly....great guy to be around, even if his accent was a bit annoying...all of the mutual friends between us have told me that he was fine until the Tua fight.....he was fine when I knew him.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Evolution
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
all of the mutual friends between us have told me that he was fine until the Tua fight.....he was fine when I knew him.
Yeah. I've seen it happen before.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Alexander wrote
His inexperience would have cost him against Holyfield and Lewis.
I remember when Ike was around. I didn't even know who he was until the Tua fight. But I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket regarding him. Sure he beat Tua but he paid the price for it in the end. And Tua is an over-rated one dimensional fighter anyway. I agree that if he'd made it to the championship level Holyfield and Lewis would have been too much for him.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Word on the street is that Ike is returning to fight on the Pacquaio/Bradley undercard.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Word on the street is that Ike is returning to fight on the Pacquaio/Bradley undercard.
I really wish he wouldn't. He sabotaged his own career and never reached the heights he could have, but he left the fight game undefeated and was the first man to beat Bryd and Dave. (Tua).

Those credentials are great alone. Add in the warrior skills the guy had and he's got a small but legit legacy. He has nothing to prove now. Losing to a younger fighter will hurt him.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

RICKY TAN
I'm not as impressed by Ike as some of you here. David Tua was a one dimensional fighter. Ike was the first of many heavyweights to prove that all it takes is a constant jab to overwhelm Tua.

He also had a good strategy against Chris Byrd, but let's remember that Bryd was not yet prime at the time.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Ike had a great jab and very durable chin. Not too many guys survived going the distance with the heavy-handed Tua. He would have been a title holder at some point. I'm sure of that. The kid could fight.

@Governor. Chris Bryd hadn't won a title yet when he fought Ike but do you really think the result would have been any different if they had fought two years later? Ike had a great right hand and left hook and it spells the end when he strings them together. As proven, that was too much for the Byrd Man to stand.

Evolution wrote
I really wish he wouldn't. He sabotaged his own career and never reached the heights he could have, but he left the fight game undefeated and was the first man to beat Bryd and Dave. (Tua).

Those credentials are great alone. Add in the warrior skills the guy had and he's got a small but legit legacy. He has nothing to prove now. Losing to a younger fighter will hurt him.
Don't forget that he and Tua set the record for the most punches thrown ever in a heavyweight fight.

Re: Ike Ibeabuchi

Here's some posts from a guy who used to be in Ibeabuchi's camp. He was talking about Ike's chin, the Tua fight, and how Ike would do against Joe Louis.

  This I know a little bit about, I was in Ike's camp for the Byrd fight and yes Ike was good but he had holes in his game and was far from the second coming.
His power is over rated also, he is a big man weighing 250 and his punch is about equal to his size not more.
Sam Peter hit twice as hard as Ike, but the only wild card is that Ike was crazy, no one would stay to talk after sparring because Ike would do very strange things.
Compared to one of the best Heavyweights in history I will go with Joe.

Ok everybody rates Ike's chin as granite because of the Tua fight but if you watch the fight again Ike was smothering Tua's power and by the way I have tasted Tua's power also.
Against a rangy puncher like Joe if allowed to get full extension on his punches he will hurt Ike like he was hurt more than a few times in camp, but I will say he never went down but there were no punchers equal to Joe in camp with us.
Ike throws alot of punches while coming forward and that will leave him open to a counter and Ike eats counters like popcorn, that is how he was hurt every time in camp.
If Joe counters him with one of those right hand bombs it's lights out.

It was the strangest camp I have ever been in but I stayed because the money was good,
I will not put out anyone's dirty laundry but one example all the sparring partners had to get there before Ike and stand in line while Ike passed by not looking at us talking and laughing to himself.

  I just have one thing to say, Tua was a a ok puncher nothing great and it seems you are basing your entire pick on Ike's fight with Tua.
If Tua could not catch you with his little leaping left hook a fighter with a good not great chin would be there all night with him.
None of the sparring partners in camp with us were punchers but after the first time someone took half a step backwards and shot their straight left when Ike was coming in and hurt him then everybody was doing it, so Ike's chin was far from stone.

Yes you may, I was in Ike's camp for the Byrd fight.
Byrd got me a lot of work because I could emulate his style very well.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625175

12