In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

We've got fans of Ali, Louis, Marciano, Tyson and others in here, so this thread should turn out interesting.
Who do you think was the best fighter to lace up the boxing gloves and explain why.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

I never argue with anyone who feels that Rocky Marciano is the greatest of all time. It's not my opinion, but I respect why people give him that honor. He was a small man with the punching power of someone three times his size. He was more intelligent and durable than people often give him credit for. And of course, he went undefeated. 49-0, 43 wins by KO. He has the highest knockout percentage of all the heavyweights, doesn't he?

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

49-0
I forgot the number, but yes Rocky Marciano has the highest knockout percentage of all the former champions, and that includes George Foreman and Mike Tyson. I can't imagine Rocky losing to anyone but certain fighters would have given him close calls.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

I'm an old timer. I grew up during the golden age of boxing. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, all those guys. I'll keep it short. Ali was the greatest. He beat the best competition and was light years ahead. Lennox Lewis wiped out the 90s and beat competion almost on the level of Ali. Mike Tyson had the potential to be the best but he fouled it up. I'd give him a good chance to beat Ali in his prime, but when you look at history, you have to give it to Ali.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

The whole world feels that Ali was the greatest. His resume and toughness back it up. People generally don't take note of his flaws, though.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Zorro
But that's boxing. Everybody had flaws. Joe Louis, as great as he was, had a tough time with certain styles. But when you look at resume and accomplishments, Ali is ahead of the curve, followed by Joe Louis and Lennox Lewis. I have all the love in the world for Rocky Marciano, but several men wouild have beaten him.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Everyone has flaws. You're right. But no one talks about the fact that Ali ducked George Foreman after beating him. Also, for a man who claimed to be "the greatest," Ali couldn't parry, block a jab or fight on the inside. He even leaned back rather than blocking incoming punches with his gloves. His speed and chin allowed him to beat guys like Liston, Foreman, Terrell, and Shavers, but men like Frazier, Young, Jones and Norton took advantage of his missing fundamentals. Other boxers would have to, including Tyson, Johnson, Louis, Walcott, Bryd, and Holmes. I'm not saying all of these guys would beat Ali, but they would make him look bad, regardless of when they fought him.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

This is the impossible question. But I gotta go with Muhammad Ali on this one. He has the best resume out of all of them and beat some scary ass brothers. Weak defense or not, he was quick and smart enough to find a way to beat anyone.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Maximillian
I am the greatest...

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Among all the fighters, I am more impressed at Rocky's achievements.

He is one of the few fighters, to beat every opponents he ever faced.

He had fought 49 times in total.

Very few fighters could go a distance with him.

Even through rematch, he beat all his opponents by KO.

Judges hardly help in his decision wins, since he almost win all by KO.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Muhammad Ali, Charley Burley, Floyd Mayweather, Ray Leonard, Alexis Arguello, James Toney.

Not all of them get the praise they deserve in public:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxAobtbAz4

"WHO? ... Don't know him"

Well Larry, in the words of Roger Mayweather: You don't know shit about boxing.

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

Joe Louis walks on higher ground for me, the true greatest whose record speaks for itself
"Twenty-five consecutive title defenses. A world record. Twelve consecutive years as World Heavyweight Champion."
Ali close 2nd, followed by others posted in another thread, don't want to contradict myself LOL

Re: In your opinion, who is the greatest of all time?

frank
ali won a lot but he ran as well and piled up the points.i feel a pro fight should be more like a "real world" fight where two men fought to knock each other out.i feel fighters like tyson or marciano and tua are the best,i don't care of running.