Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

I love watching rare stuff like this. Rocky had a soft voice, which never fails to crack me up. LOL. Archie Moore proved a good point when he said that he wasn't a great puncher, but a sharp puncher. Archie Moore had more knockouts than any other fighter in the history of boxing, including all weight divisions. And he wasn't a big banger but he knew when and where to hit you. He was an accurate counter puncher like Holyfield and Patterson. OK, I'll shut up now. lol. Enjoy the clip.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Zorro
My father and brother were really big fans of Marciano. They thought Archie had it sewn up because Rocky struggled like hell in two close fights with Ezzard Charles and took nine rounds to finally knock out a sloppy fighter like Don Cockell. Rocky looked to be at the end of his prime and it's a good thing he retired when he did.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Evan Fields
Thanks for the clip, Duggerman. The guy sparring with Archie Moore did a terrible job of imitating Rocky Marciano. Rocky applied a lot of pressure and stayed in your face and never stopped attacking. I think Rocky would beat Archie Moore anyway because of his style but Archie needed a better sparring partner than this guy.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Yeah, that sparring partner was terrible. He didn't force the action the way that Marciano did. All he did was imitate Marciano's crouch (Badly) and let Archie repeatedly pop that jab.

But still, the only fighters in history to apply pressure like Marciano were Joe Frazier and Henry Armstrong, so there was no way to prepare Moore for the beating he was about to receive.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

My father and brother were really big fans of Marciano. They thought Archie had it sewn up because Rocky struggled like hell in two close fights with Ezzard Charles and took nine rounds to finally knock out a sloppy fighter like Don Cockell. Rocky looked to be at the end of his prime and it's a good thing he retired when he did.
That's an interesting opinion. This fight was a beatdown but I think Rocky always comes out on top against Archie, who can't withstand the crushing power of a heavyweight.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Here is a quote from Archie Moore about Rocky after the fight.

"He doesn't let you fight your fight... It's like fighting an airplane
propeller. The blades keep whirling past your ear and over your head... He
kept changing the speed and rhythm of his propellers. That threw me off."
He said this about referee Peter Heller after he knocked Rocky down.

"He grabbed Marciano's gloves and began to wipe Marciano's gloves and look over his shoulder and gave Marciano a count standing up. If a man is on his feet, he is automatically a target. This is what was told us at that noon, but he forgot all about it and he began to rub his gloves and then he gave him a snatch, you know, kind of to pull him to. I'll never forget it. It cost me the heavyweight title."
Archie was always bitter at the ref and blamed him for helping Rocky "regain his senses" after the knockdown.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

BAD INTENTIONS
This was a good fight to conclude Rocky's career. Archie controlled the early rounds with his slick boxing skills and even dropped Rocky.

And then Rocky began to throw some big wallops and beat Archie's ass no good. Great fight from beginning to end.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

the boston strong boy
archie moore made a show out of that fight a class act he knocked down marciano down for a few seconds then archie faced a pissed off marciano and took a beating by round nine after being knocked down in the fight 4 or more times moore was finished moore was never the same fighter again but he stuck around for a while he was destroyed by floyd patterson for marcianos vacated title and humilated by a young muhummad ali he started having trouble in the light heavyweight division too with guys he could of easily beat in his better yrs moore always stuck up for marciano until the day he died when somebody said rocky fought over the hill fighters and bums and was lucky to even win the title moore replied your wrong i was still one of the best names in the game and he gave me the worst beating of my life he was a very tough man and it seemed like you couldnt knock him out i know i fought him said archie moore only the men who fought him know a fight with marciano is going to be hell

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

It's Dale
pre-fight Archie quote"I have watched Marciano fight and I have taken him apart like a watchmaker takes a watch apart. Marciano won't be able to solve my defensive style, he can't and won't hit me" Marciano will miss more punches than he has ever before because I have the right style to beat him. Marciano lacks defense and I will pour it on when he misses"

" I stepped back a half step, twisted my hip and hit him flush in the face with one of the best right hands I ever threw in my life.

"Rocky made a great comeback to batter me down"

"I felt I was in the ring that night with one of the greatest fighters of my time.

" Only time will reveal the Rock was a great fighter and a great man"

[...]

I'm sure the feeling, even for an instant, of almost dethroning Marciano to become the HW champion of the world on top of everything else, at his age, was not an easy thing to get past. It probably helped the letdown to have a little scapegoating there.

This is Marciano's most impressive performance to me. Watch how he pins Moore on the ropes and gives him absolutely no breathing space and throws so many punches that Moore cant do anything but bob, weave, and get hit.

Its really remarkable. I cant recall ever seeing another heavyweight, Frazier included, with a work rate as high as Marciano showed in that fight.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Sivul
George Jefferson wrote
I cant recall ever seeing another heavyweight, Frazier included, with a work rate as high as Marciano showed in that fight.
Rocky had better stamina than Joe, although its close. Joe looked exhausted in the last round of the first fight with Ali. I've never seen Rocky look so spent.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

I cracked open a beer and watched these interviews followed by the fight. What a fight. This was a good scrap. We need fights like this today. Is anyone looking forward to Wladimir's fight this week? I'm not.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

"I tried everything I knew against Marciano, I out boxed him, out slicked him, I even put put him on the floor, but it still wasn't enough...He just kept coming forward trying to beat my brains out and in the end he got to me through sheer bulldogged ruggedness."

-Archie Moore

Wow. Can you imagine what Archie felt at that moment? The undefeated heavyweight champion of the world lying on the floor in front of you.

This really was a good fight. Archie's technical skill was winning for him early but Rocky suddenly came around and ruthlessly overpowered the guy.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

"I tried everything I knew against Marciano, I out boxed him, out slicked him, I even put put him on the floor, but it still wasn't enough...He just kept coming forward trying to beat my brains out and in the end he got to me through sheer bulldogged ruggedness."

-Archie Moore

Wow. Can you imagine what Archie felt at that moment? The undefeated heavyweight champion of the world lying on the floor in front of you.

This really was a good fight. Archie's technical skill was winning for him early but Rocky suddenly came around and ruthlessly overpowered the guy.
I once read that Archie Moore told a story of a mobster who came to him weeks before the Marciano fight and offered him money to lose. And Moore said that he declined.

To be frank, I don't believe that. Archie was a well-known liar. He used to tell people that the referee robbed him of a win over Marciano. He used to tell people that after he floored Marciano, hurt him bad and the ref spent a minute wiping Marciano's gloves to give him the precious time for Rocky to regather himself. If you watch the fight, clearly that didn't happen. Rock wasn't hurt, just got hit off balance.

Moore was bitter about the Marciano defeat. Before the fight, it is well documented that Moore announced to the boxing public that he would knock Rocky out on numerous occasions. And after the fight, Moore was bitter about losing that fight...

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Zombies Ate Me
Hit Em' Hard wrote
I once read that Archie Moore told a story of a mobster who came to him weeks before the Marciano fight and offered him money to lose. And Moore said that he declined.
I think there might be truth to that. Rocky was closely linked to the mob. His manager Al Weill was well connected and the plane Marciano died in contained Frankie Farrell who was the son of Italian mobster Louis Fratto.

If I recall correctly Harry Haft claimed he was told to take a dive too.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Hit Em' Hard
Zombies Ate Me wrote

Rocky wasn't closely linked that I'm aware of. For starters Rocky did not like Al Weill one bit. Breaking ties with Al is the main reason Rocky retired when he did! Criminals and gangsters were sports fans and wanted to be around the guy but since he's Italian people wanna say he was a gangster. That's really stereotypical. There's zero evidence that Rocky had gang ties. Primo Carnera is a different story.

Imagine that!! He was so cocky going into the fight and so self-assured that his boxing skill would get him the win. And in the first two rounds it looked like he might be right especially when he put Rocky on the floor. But then Rocky finds his rhythm and straight up beat the living sh*t out of him! Archie wanted to be the first light heavyweight to win the heavyweight title. He wanted to be the first man to beat the undefeated Rocky Marciano. So much was at stake and he failed. He needed to blame somebody and the referee was the only available scapegoat. If he were smart, he might have made a better case by calling Rocky out on those illegal rabbit punches to the back of the head. Call out the fouls instead of cooking up fairy tales that the referee screwed you over when that clearly didn't happen.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Rocky wasn't closely linked that I'm aware of. For starters Rocky did not like Al Weill one bit. Breaking ties with Al is the main reason Rocky retired when he did! Criminals and gangsters were sports fans and wanted to be around the guy but since he's Italian people wanna say he was a gangster. That's really stereotypical. There's zero evidence that Rocky had gang ties. Primo Carnera is a different story.
I don't think Rocky was involved in organized crime. He trained harder than any other heavyweight champion in history. Why go through all that training if you know your opponent was paid to take a dive? I heard a story once that the mobsters approached Rocky about fixing fights but Rocky declined and told them to never come to him with that nonsense again. That, I believe. That's the kind of guy he was.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

49-0
In all of the books, films and documentaries I've seen about Rocky, there was zero proof that he was involved with gangsters. Being Italian boxing fans they hung out with him but that didn't make Rocky a gangster by association. I also saw Rocky hanging out with Sammy Davis Jr and Frank Sinatra. Did that make him part of the Rat Pack?
12