Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Zorro
There was an HBO documentary that addressed the very subject of Rocky and gangsters. Unfortuneatly it has been taken off youtube.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Louis J. Marciano
To say he  (Rocky Marciano) struggled in the two Charles fights isn't an accurate representation of the facts.....The first meeting was a competitive bout which Rocky won unanimously......The first 10 rounds were more evenly fought however Marciano pulled ahead in the remaining five stanzas....after the fight when asked how he felt Rocky replied .....I felt great......I was just getting warmed up....I coulda gone another 5 rounds. Lets not loose sight of who he was fighting....One of the ATG Classic boxers .....Charles was able to not get caught up on the ropes....neither combatant would have their back against the ropes even once.....this was most unusual for Rocky to not corner his prey even once...There would be only one clinch in this fight again an unusual circumstance as Rocky was adept at manhandling his opponents inside...so although the great Charles wouldn't allow Rocky to utilize certain elements of his game The Rock still dominated The Master Boxer.....pretty remarkable feat.

One thing to take note of although Charles was able to find Marciano with clean precise combinations they seemed to have little affect on him conversely when Rocky would tag Charles you could see how uncomfortable they made him feel...you can almost feel Charles pain by his telling winces and expressions.

In their second meeting.......Rocky drops Ezzard in the second round with a series of vicious shots that seem to totally take Charles legs away. A testament to his conditioning Ezzard gets up very quickly from such a blow and is immediately in another big exchange where he lands a nice counter shot and also gets tagged with a couple of more big shots prior to the bell sounding. At this point Rocky's ahead on all the cards and having his way going into the sixth round when he sustains one of the nastiest injuries ever......his nose is split wide open probably from an elbow or a clash of heads .....Rocky was never positive of the cause.... however it  highly unlikely that it was from a punch......so his nose is cleanly split at the nostril as if it was done by a scalpel......a four inch opening for sure. Rocky comes back to the corner and asks his seconds what had  happened which was rare because he rarely if ever complained (other then when he was blinded by a foreign substance in the Walcott Title fight) his corner lies and says it's nuthin much....just a little nose bleed....don't worry bout it....juss go out and keep doin what you're doin.....Rocky goes out and has a good 7th round however his nose is bleeding bad and now the ref comes over and informs the corner that the gash is to big and he's given him the 8th round to close the show......this is it Rock.....one more round and I'm callin it a night....now Al Weil is screamin go get em Rock....ya gotta get em now.....so in one of the most clutch displays by an athlete....Rocky proceeds to go out and dismantle one of the most Masterful Boxers in Ring History.....he went out and got em before he was ready to go....another remarkable feat....As far as the Cockell fight.....every Champion....fighter has an off night.....to say Cockell was difficult to get up for would be an understatement....Cockell's style was awkward and clumsy....no excuses....it was an ugly win...he went on to totally dismantle another legendary master craftsmen in Archie Moore.....he certainly didn't appear that he was loosing his prime in that bout.....it's easy to believe the same ole rhetoric that is  regurgitated about one Rocky Marciano.....the revisionist history....but when you take in his body of work frame by frame.....you realize these things....Rocky Marciano made everyone he fought unmercifully uncomfortable....no one and I mean no one enjoyed their time in the ring with him......when they were brave enough to climb in between the strands with him for yet a second encounter they were less than enthusiastic with their choice to do so and they would succumb to brutal beatings......no one ever considered facing him for a third time.....When I had the occasion to meet some of the fighters that he faced although their descriptions of what it was like to face The Rock were impactful it was their expressions....the looks on their face that told of the pain.....The Great Joe Louis said....he hurt....he just hurt you.....he was the kinda guy that would hurt ya if you accidentally bumped into him on the street......everyone seems to have an opinion but I'll take ole Joe's word....

Louis J. Marciano

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Louis J. Marciano
Rocky was acquainted with many gangsters.....they all wanted to be around him......and there was an allure about them as well.....many big entertainers, celebrity's, politicians had associations with gangsters....the difference is that they revered The Rock.....

Rocky was much to much respected to ever be approached to throw a fight......don't believe anyone that says differently....Rocky was so prideful of his Italian heritage and winning was so important to him that he woulda went nuts at the mere thought of it.....

Rocky's integrity to not be involved in a sham fight was unwavering......the mob saw him differently.....he was meticulous when it came to his boxing career .....it would be pristine.....he would never embarrass his family, himself....his or his heritage....it even influenced the MOB....although money was king.....their GOD.....having one of their own raining as champ with dignity brought them great pride.......so he was off limits regarding fixed fights.....

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

precious
"it was an ugly win", is still a win. Hi, Louis I think you ar totally right here, all fighters have off nights & Rocky was no exception. He was plain & simple an ATG & all the detractors who blame his so called weak opposition are myopic when it comes to their own favourite fighters. Ali for all his greatness & he was!! still had some real stinkers that included some gift decissions in my opinion, name any HW who didn't & I'll gladly eat hay with a donkey. He was a clutch fighter who when the chips were down always found a way to get the job done, despite all his disadvantages physically. Great fighter, end of.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Thanks for clearing up those misconceptions, Louis. Glad to have you here.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Louis J. Marciano wrote
it even influenced the MOB....although money was king.....their GOD.....having one of their own raining as champ with dignity brought them great pride.
So you're saying Rocky was in the mob? You said he was one of their own. I'm just making sure I understand.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Sivul wrote
George Jefferson wrote
I cant recall ever seeing another heavyweight, Frazier included, with a work rate as high as Marciano showed in that fight.
Rocky had better stamina than Joe, although its close. Joe looked exhausted in the last round of the first fight with Ali. I've never seen Rocky look so spent.
The difference is that Rocky had a higher workrate than Joe Frazier but Joe Frazier fought at a faster pace.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

The trilla in Manilla was a record setting # of punches in 14 rounds for any previous recorded HW fight.
Though many had gone 15 before, that was a tremendous battle by 2 still great though past prime fighters.
Yeah. It had the record until it was surpassed by the Ibeabuchi and Tua fight twenty something years later.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

My father and brother were really big fans of Marciano. They thought Archie had it sewn up because Rocky struggled like hell in two close fights with Ezzard Charles and took nine rounds to finally knock out a sloppy fighter like Don Cockell. Rocky looked to be at the end of his prime and it's a good thing he retired when he did.
Hmm. So you're saying Rocky may have done better against Archie if the fight had happened, say, 5 years earlier? I'm not saying I disagree but Archie was such a slick boxer that Rocky would always struggle and take a while to catch up as he did with Charles and Walcott.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Hmm. So you're saying Rocky may have done better against Archie if the fight had happened, say, 5 years earlier? I'm not saying I disagree but Archie was such a slick boxer that Rocky would always struggle and take a while to catch up as he did with Charles and Walcott.
Every great fighter has a war that they're never quite the same after. For Frazier it was the FOTC. For Razor Ruddock it was the Tyson fights. For Rocky it was the Ezzard Charles battles. He lost something after those battles but he was still tough enough to beat any man in the world. But I agree with you that Archie would always put up a good challenge and though he started out in control he just couldn't handle the power and nonstop attack of Rocky.

This is when guys had more heart. Archie took his beating until he couldn't get off the canvas. Most guys nowadays wouldn't have put up half the effort. Archie really wanted to win.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

49-0 wrote
This is when guys had more heart. Archie took his beating until he couldn't get off the canvas. Most guys nowadays wouldn't have put up half the effort. Archie really wanted to win.
What you said. Archie wanted the heavyweight crown bad. He fought for it once more against Floyd Patterson and fought an emerging Cassius Clay a few years later. He didn't do well in either fight. The fight with Rocky was easily Archie's best fight at heavyweight. IMO Archie was just too small to survive heavyweight blows, and his advancing age didn't help matters.

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Here’s some thoughts on the fight from an old ESPN show

https://youtu.be/I1EospghxAI

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Here’s a super rare press conference with Rocky immediately following the fight. He clearly had no plans of retiring at this point.

https://youtu.be/nXEuc3Fwh80

Re: Interviews with Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore before their fight. (Video)

Rare interviews with both men after the fight.

https://youtu.be/H856wfbrg8U
12