Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

redfeng007
It seemed that they relied more on their counter punches, body shots and a great left hook.

Everytime, I watched Ezzard Charles's fight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vo2XZnAKhg

It kind of remind me of the smaller version of Holyfield.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

I've always felt the same. Both were natural counterpunchers who could brawl and slug if they felt the need to. Jerry Quarry was the same kind of boxer but less skilled.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

redfeng007
Make a comparison between Ezzard Charles's style...

https://www.youtube.com/v/1LzjNlBI60g&autoplay=1

And Evander Holyfield's style against Big George...

https://www.youtube.com/v/kCpW0QJOPtM&autoplay=1

Holyfield looks like a bigger and stronger version of Ezzard Charles...

When Ezzard Charles brawl, he accidentally killed Sam-Baroudi in the fight.

When Holyfield brawl, he suffered a knockdown from Bert Cooper...

Does brawling works better for Ezzard Charles than Holyfield?

Or Holyfield fought much bigger opponents?

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

redfeng007 wrote
Does brawling works better for Ezzard Charles than Holyfield?

Or Holyfield fought much bigger opponents?
Holyfield would get caught up in the moment and brawl at the wrong moment sometimes. Ezzard Charles picked wiser spots to slug it out.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Rosco
Seeing Ezzard fight Joe Louis instantly put me in the mind of '91 Holyfield.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Zombies Ate Me
Evander was more bouncy. Other than that, exact same style. Both of them were intelligent (brains before brawn) but Evander just couldn't help brawling if the momentum caught up to him. Ezzard paced himself better and wouldn't do what his opponents wanted.

Ezzard had a hard style to copy. Real slick, technical and tough.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Zorro
The real question is..who was better? Ezzard was so special and a real innovator (though slept on). Evander had more success and did more things. But this is balanced out because Evander also had more failures. Would Ezzard be dumb enough to try to trade with someone like Riddick Bowe? No sir. But Ezzard doesn't have wins over anyone like Riddick Bowe either, though Evander does.

Ezzard twice came up short against Marciano and had a tough fight with old Louis. But Holyfield came out on top against Bert Cooper, Ray Mercer, Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe, George Foreman, etc. Does Ezzard beat those guys too? I doubt it.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Brooklyn's Finest
I don't blame Evander for mimicking Ezzard. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if this was intentional because Lou Duva was an early trainer for Holyfield and was great friends with fighters of that generation like Ezzard, Marciano and the like. (He tried to train Tua to fight like Marciano). Duva had hopes that fighters of the older generation would live on through the guys he trained but they didn't measure up, although Evander had more success than Ezzard Charles.

Ezzard was the perfect technical boxer. There was nothing he couldn't do. He could adapt to any style, was smooth in the ring, tough and was one of the best counterpunchers to live. It's evident that Lou passed on a lot of Ezzard's secrets to Evander.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Sivul
What should we call Evander's style? Counter-puncher? Impregnator?

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

redfeng007
Some of Holyfield's defensive style came from George Benton.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLO0pGzgAtc&autoplay=1

I also feel that Holyfield's chemistry worked better on George Benton than Emanuel Steward.

Coincidence, George Benton's boxing record looks quite similar to Holyfield's.

62 Wins (37 knockouts, 25 decisions), 13 Losses (2 knockouts, 11 decisions), 1 Draw.

57 fights, 44 wins (29 knockouts, 1 disqualification), 10 losses (2 knockouts), 2 draws, 1 no contest.

George Benton looks as tough as Holyfield. Both times he was stopped, it was through late stoppage.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Some videos about Ezzard Charles's offence and weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Fbg_HMF_pAY&autoplay=1

https://www.youtube.com/v/cDW2HzvLCmk&autoplay=1

If Ezzard Charles has the same body size with Holyfield, could he do as well as him?

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Shogun of Harlem
redfeng007 wrote

If Ezzard Charles has the same body size with Holyfield, could he do as well as him?
I'm inclined to believe so. Holyfield might have fought bettter opponents overall but Ezzard kept his head on straight. He was smarter.

I'm still inclined to believe that Evander had the better chin - withstanding punishment from Bowe, Lewis, Tyson, Foreman, Mercer, etc, but Ezzard had a strong chin also, being the only man to last the full 15 round distance with Rocky Marciano.

What warriors they both were. If they switched eras I think Ezzard would have done better than Evander during the '80s and '90s, but I think Bowe, Lewis and Foreman may have been too big. He was nimble enough to beat Mercer and post-prison Tyson though.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

BAD INTENTIONS
Shogun of Harlem wrote

What warriors they both were. If they switched eras I think Ezzard would have done better than Evander during the '80s and '90s, but I think Bowe, Lewis and Foreman may have been too big. He was nimble enough to beat Mercer and post-prison Tyson though.
I think Ezzard was too small for Tyson....even a past prime Tyson.....no crusierweights would be able to stand up to Mike...each time Mike was stopped it was by someone bigger than him.

Ezzard and the small Holyfield circa 1991 would both get demolished by Iron Mike...they had guts but were too small.

As for Ray Mercer it would depend on Ray's motivation on fight night...I still say Ezzard would be too small here but would put on a performance similar to the one Evander did against Mercer but he'd end up losing instead.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Left Hook From Hell...
I never noticed this or thought of the comparisons. I haven't seen too many of Ezzard's fights but I recall highlights from the "nose fight" with Marciano. From what I hear Ezzard was some fighter.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

redfeng007 wrote
If Ezzard Charles has the same body size with Holyfield, could he do as well as him?
He'd probably be hit or miss like Holyfield was. There are some guys that would just be too big. But who knows? Ezzard was wiser than Evander at picking the right time to duke it out so he may fare better.

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

Ezzard Charles did some wrestling before.

His body strength is underrated.

It helped in some of his boxing matches.

He liked to move his opponent to the perfect angle to finish them off.

For example.

He used his arm to wrestle Rex Layne through the ropes and delivered the finishing blows.

He really beat the crap of Rex Layne against the ropes.

https://youtu.be/yrTZax7aJeI

This may look like how he killed Sam Baroudi in the 10th Round.

Throw punches after punches till Sam Baroudi was completely unconcious...

Re: Is Holyfield's fighting style based on Ezzard Charles?

I didn't know he wrestled. Thanks again for sharing rare knowledge around this place.