Is Wladimir Klitsckho a top 10 heavyweight? (Article)

Is Wladimir Klitsckho a top 10 heavyweight? (Article)

In my opinion, yes he is. But this article makes a strong case that he isn’t.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/08/is-wladimir-klitschko-a-top-ten-all-time-great-heavyweight/amp/
Is he in the top ten?

Re: Is Wladimir Klitsckho a top 10 heavyweight? (Article)

Will69
The article brings up the classic questions.  The same questions, like available competition during that time, can be applied to Rocky, Holmes, Tyson, or anyone after Lewis retired.  As well, Wlad's losses were not atypical of greats.  Louis, Ali, Foreman, Holyfield, Lewis, etc. all had some losses in their resume.  The Klits are ATGs on my list, but these "top 10" or "top 20", etc ratings are so subjective, I don't take them verbatim.

Also, it might be just me, but after Lewis, the whole boxing scene becomes blurry when you analyze it and try to compare to previous time periods for lots of reasons.  I can only analyze and hypothesize the current boxers against the current competition with any sound basis really.

Re: Is Wladimir Klitsckho a top 10 heavyweight? (Article)

Based on his size, skill and huge punch (when he wanted it) I definitely rate Wlad in my top ten. Head to head he's a physical specimen, and then there's the high number of title defenses and long championship reign.

His competition wasn't great, and he was just plain too big for the guys he fought. But despite that, I'd still pick him over smaller ATGs like Norton, Marciano, Frazier, Patterson, etc. Given his size I'd even pick him to beat Max Baer if he doesn't get careless.

Wlad doesn't beat Foreman, Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Louis, etc. But head to head he is a beast overall, and his resume is certainly impressive as far as the numbers go.

Re: Is Wladimir Klitsckho a top 10 heavyweight? (Article)

Phantom Punch
Is he top ten most BORING heavyweights ever? Definitely

Is he top ten best heavyweight champions? I think so, considering his long reign. He didn't show killer instinct often but he hit harder than his brother I believe.