Is it worth trying to become a professional boxer? Should your height also be a factor?

Is it worth trying to become a professional boxer? Should your height also be a factor?

Will69
It must be awfully tough to become a champion boxer.  If the best that you could reach was contender status, is it still worth it?  Can you even pay your bills on that alone as a contender?  And let's face it.  In the HW division, the ATGs seem to be really big and tall.  Even Povetkin, who has near a perfect record, isn't given the same respect as the taller guys - and at 6'2", he's considered short!  Any thoughts on this  (especially you former-sparring partners)?

Re: Is it worth trying to become a professional boxer? Should your height also be a factor?

You're right that the elite champs are getting bigger and bigger. I'm increasingly believing that the shorter legends (as great as they were) like Frazier, Tyson, Dempsey, Marciano, etc - wouldn't do well against these modern giants. Joe Louis and Jack Johnson are the only two I'd pick to beat the modern big men.

Re: Is it worth trying to become a professional boxer? Should your height also be a factor?

Leo the Lion
Yeah man, height is so important bro. That angle is so hard to fight against. I'm one of the guys who have the short end of the stick. I'm 1,8m tall, but my build makes it such that I have a 194 reach. So i guess I'm a white Sonny Liston. Only problem is that taller fighters have evolved since Steward and Sdunek perfected the tall fighter style of jab, big right hand, big right uppercut and clinch. Through my own experience you cannot beat (still have a puncher's chance if you have power) anyone who is above 6ft5 if they know how to use that size effectively if you're my height or even Povetkin's height. I tried dropping weight to fight in lighter categories, but lowest I can get is 195lbs or so. So I'm fucked because all the guys I fight against are minimum 6ft3 and I'm sitting here at 5ft10. Height is such a big factor nowadays. You cant jab with them, and they catch you with right uppercuts if you try keep low on the way in. Even if you do get in, they just lean on you and tie you up. Pray that you have tall man genes in you bro
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Is it worth trying to become a professional boxer? Should your height also be a factor?

redfeng007
Guess Ruiz is a different story against Anthony Joshua 6"6".