Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Jessica
Are they one and the same? I've always wondered.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Hi, Jessica.

It's the same thing. However, I do think journalists focus more on the their writing/storytelling techniques. For instance, if you write up a crime log or a traffic accident, all you're doing is reporting what happened. No color, nothing but the facts. It's a straightforward account. A report. But if you're writing a big article on something groundbreaking or a features story, that's where more journalism comes into play in my opinion. You're reporting facts, but you're also gathering information from sources and research, and your focus is making one wallop of an interesting narrative that hooks your readers.

A reporter and journalist are the same thing--they both report and write.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Becky
It's the same thing. A long time ago, reporters used to interview sources and cover events. They would then go to a journalist who would write up an article with the information and that's how it went in the paper. Nowadays, the journalist acts as the reporter as well. That's all.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Jessica
Thank you.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Bugs
It's the same thing. However, I do think journalists focus more on the their writing/storytelling techniques. For instance, if you write up a crime log or a traffic accident, all you're doing is reporting what happened. No color, nothing but the facts. It's a straightforward account. A report. But if you're writing a big article on something groundbreaking or a features story, that's where more journalism comes into play in my opinion. You're reporting facts, but you're also gathering information from sources and research, and your focus is making one wallop of an interesting narrative that hooks your readers.

A reporter and journalist are the same thing--they both report and write.

Thanks for that information, doc. Well written.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

It's Dale
Yeah. When I was younger the word was "reporter." It wasn't until the 90s that I started to hear the word "journalist."

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Becky wrote
It's the same thing. A long time ago, reporters used to interview sources and cover events. They would then go to a journalist who would write up an article with the information and that's how it went in the paper. Nowadays, the journalist acts as the reporter as well. That's all.
You're right on the money. Here's a short old journalism documentary. A reporter would do the interviews and get the facts, then bring it to the journalist who would write the story.

http://youtu.be/9rvBgaxUXrc

But as we've discussed, today the journalist does the reporting as well, so the terms are interchangeable.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Here's a clear difference:

Reporting: A 747 aircraft crashed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean yesterday.

Journalism: A review of maintenance reports of the 747 aircraft that crashed last month revealed that the airplane had a faulty engine parts. Reports indicate that airline management ignored warnings that the parts were malfunctioning.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2009/dec/10/newspapers-pressandpublishing

Here is an additional link with different opinions on this topic.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Joe Kingman
Here's a clear difference:

Reporting: A 747 aircraft crashed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean yesterday.

Journalism: A review of maintenance reports of the 747 aircraft that crashed last month revealed that the airplane had a faulty engine parts. Reports indicate that airline management ignored warnings that the parts were malfunctioning.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2009/dec/10/newspapers-pressandpublishing

Here is an additional link with different opinions on this topic.
All this time I never knew there was a difference! So does the same thing go for TV? Would news anchors be reporters while TV hosts like Oprah and Diane Sawyer be considered journalists?

-Joe Kingman

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

Joe Kingman wrote
 So does the same thing go for TV? Would news anchors be reporters while TV hosts like Oprah and Diane Sawyer be considered journalists?
Yes. News Anchors just read blurbs from a teleprompter. Oprah and Diane Sawyer go really in-depth in their interviews and specials. They tell a story - the who, what, when, where and whys are answered in great detail.

Re: Is there a difference between reporters and journalists?

~Dirty Diana
Administrator
You just taught me something new! Cool! So it's basically the same job, just different focuses, kind of like the difference between being a beat cop and a detective.