Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Found this on eastside boxing. Joe was definitely taller than Jack. They answered questions from fans. This is my first time hearing Jack Dempsey talk. His voice isn't what I thought it'd be. They both agreed that boxers are at their peak around 24-25. What do you all think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGo5K_VPtIk&feature=player_embedded#at=200
Who wins if they fought in their prime years?

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

BAD INTENTIONS
Everyone peaks at different ages. Tyson peaked around 18-20. That was it. Lennox Lewis and Jersey Joe Walcott didn't hit their peaks until their late 30s. But I do think the average fighter peaks in their mid-late 20s.

It was nice of them to demonstrate how they would have fought each other. Joe had a good strategy there. But it would only work if Jack stayed on the outside. Once Jack gets in close and lands that left hook to the body, Louis is gonna get worked over fast.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Zorro
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
It was nice of them to demonstrate how they would have fought each other. Joe had a good strategy there. But it would only work if Jack stayed on the outside. Once Jack gets in close and lands that left hook to the body, Louis is gonna get worked over fast.
Joe Louis would have KO'd Jack Dempsey. Jack was savage but Joe had too many weapons. If Jack could get under Joe's jab, then Joe's right hook or uppercut would straighten him out on the inside. Joe was a technician. Louis KO round 5.

Great video, btw!! Never seen it before.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Interesting. I would of loved to see them fight. Their memories of the fights they had are impressive.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Zorro
Indeed. Nice to see two of the best boxers of all time in the ring together. I remember only two decades earlier Jack Dempsey didn't like Joe Louis whatsoever because of his race. He evidently warmed up to Mr. Louis remarkably over the years.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Indeed. Nice to see two of the best boxers of all time in the ring together. I remember only two decades earlier Jack Dempsey didn't like Joe Louis whatsoever because of his race. He evidently warmed up to Mr. Louis remarkably over the years.
What? Jack Dempsey was racist? Where did you hear that?

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Zombies Ate Me wrote
What? Jack Dempsey was racist? Where did you hear that?
There are old threads on it on eastside boxing with old newspaper clippings and everything. Jack was so racist that he was rooting for Max Schmeling in the rematch with Louis. He was also in Max Baer's corner when he fought Joe Louis. But to be objective, Jack's favorite sparring partner was a black man. (I forgot his name, but there are clips of their sparring sessions on youtube.) I personally think that Jack was a man of his time, but there were several African Americans that he really liked. He became good friends later on with Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and a lot of the others too. He had no choice, really, because black athletes began to gradually dominate the sport after Rocky Marciano retired.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Zombies Ate Me wrote
What? Jack Dempsey was racist? Where did you hear that?
It's a fact. Jack avoided facing black fighters during his career. Jack Johnson begged Dempsey for a shot at the title. Shame Dempsey didn't take it because it would have been a big draw at the gate. Jack would have beat up Johnson, but the racist crowds would have enjoyed that, I'm sure.

Later in his life, you can find a lot of pictures of Jack hanging out with Joe Frazier, Archie Moore and other black boxers. If I recall, AJ posted a pic of Jack Dempsey with Joe Frazier in the "Rare pictures" thread. Jack was really close to Rocky Marciano...not only because they were both white but because they had similar styles. You can find a lot of footage of Jack and Rocky together.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Evan Fields wrote
Found this on eastside boxing. Joe was definitely taller than Jack. They answered questions from fans. This is my first time hearing Jack Dempsey talk. His voice isn't what I thought it'd be. They both agreed that boxers are at their peak around 24-25. What do you all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGo5K_VPtIk&feature=player_embedded#at=200

Joe inadvertently admitted that Jack would give him problmes stylistictly when he said swarmers gave him trouble. Jack was one of the best swarmers. Even Mike Tyson copied many of Jack Dempsey's combinations.

Regarding Jack's racism, I think in Louis' case he was a bit jealous. Jack Dempsey was without a doubt the best heavyweight champion of all time until Joe Louis came along. Joe Louis beat better competition than Jack, had 25 title defenses and was heavyweight champ for 13 years. Whether he was racist or not, Jack knew that Joe Louis was going to eclipse him in the history books. I think Jack was jealous that Joe was having so much success and made fun of his race because that was the quickest way to retailiate.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Urban Legend wrote

Regarding Jack's racism, I think in Louis' case he was a bit jealous. Jack Dempsey was without a doubt the best heavyweight champion of all time until Joe Louis came along. Joe Louis beat better competition than Jack, had 25 title defenses and was heavyweight champ for 13 years. Whether he was racist or not, Jack knew that Joe Louis was going to eclipse him in the history books. I think Jack was jealous that Joe was having so much success and made fun of his race because that was the quickest way to retailiate.
That makes sense, too. Joe Louis said in his autobiography that after he knocked out Max Baer, Baer was quoted in the press as saying horrible things about Joe because he was black. Joe and Max were cool before the fight, and Joe said that he was disappointed that Max took defeat that way.

Joe Louis was really good at predicting fights. He always got it right! He said that Ezzard Charles would beat Maxim and it happened. He also predicted that George Foreman would knock out Joe Frazier. He told George before the fight that the right uppercut would be there for him, and it was.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Evan Fields
Jack Dempsey showed no racism whatsoever in this clip. In watching the three gentlemen talk, you almost forget that its 1951.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Bert Sugar
Urban Legend wrote
Jack Dempsey was without a doubt the best heavyweight champion of all time until Joe Louis came along.
Don't forget about Gene Tunney, who won the championship from Dempsey...

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Shane
Bert Sugar wrote
Don't forget about Gene Tunney, who won the championship from Dempsey...
Bert, I know you favor the fighters of your day but Gene Tunney was not that good. He used his speed to run away from Jack Dempsey post prime, and would have been knocked out by old Dempsey if not for the long count. The heavyweight champs in-between Dempsey and Louis (Tunney, Carnera, Sharkey and Baer) were not as exciting or skilled as either man. In fact, after Dempsey they were boring placeholders until Joe Louis arrived. None of those fighters were dominant and were eaten alive by Louis. Jack Sharkey was KO'd by Dempsey and Louis.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Rosco
Jack Dempsey was like Mike Tyson in the sense that he was dangerous coming in but once he got there, he didn't do much. The irony of this fight is that Joe Louis is the much better in-fighter of the two. Joe would time Jack lunging in and counter. Even if Jack did get inside, the Bomber would take care of him with tight hooks and uppercuts inside. Joe Louis would knock out Jack Dempsey. I say that with no reservations.

Later in his life, you can find a lot of pictures of Jack hanging out with Joe Frazier, Archie Moore and other black boxers. If I recall, AJ posted a pic of Jack Dempsey with Joe Frazier in the "Rare pictures" thread. Jack was really close to Rocky Marciano...not only because they were both white but because they had similar styles. You can find a lot of footage of Jack and Rocky together.
I didn't know Jack was racist. But i ain't real surprised to hear that. At least 80% of white America was racist back then.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Malik Wright
Here's a web blog about Jack Dempsey's career, style and allegations of racism. Thought it'd be good for the thread.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=10699&more=1

See? I can go one post without calling anyone the n-word.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Courtney
Hit Em' Hard wrote
I didn't know Jack was racist. But i ain't real surprised to hear that. At least 80% of white America was racist back then.
I'd say more than 80%. But what about Muhammad Ali? He and the Nation of Islam preached separation. Ali even spoke at Klan rallies.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

49-0
Harry Greb said Dempsey personally berated him for allowing a Negro to get the middleweight title when he fought Tiger Flowers, and that Dempsey's shameful secret was his distaste for his colored brethren. So yeah, Jack was racist all right. But I think he came around during the 60s and 70s. He had to, if he wanted to stay involved with boxing. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Norton etc were black and they were dominating.

I wish Jack had lived at least two more years so he could see the young Mike Tyson explode on the scene. I think he would have loved Tyson's ravage style which was partially based off Dempsey.

As far as this thread goes, if Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey fought, I think Jack stops him early. Joe hated pressure. Dempsey would do more than pressure him. Poor Joe wouldn't see the knockout blow coming.

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

Malik Wright wrote
Here's a web blog about Jack Dempsey's career, style and allegations of racism. Thought it'd be good for the thread.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=10699&more=1

See? I can go one post without calling anyone the n-word.
Good job Malik

Re: Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis answer questions & spar together

George Jefferson
Dempsey's greatest asset was conditioning. He was the last remnant´╗┐ of the bare knuckle era, when fighters were trained to go 50+ plus rounds. (You never saw him out of shape or lackluster). Conversely, his greatest weakness was defense. The straight ahead, willingness to take a punch, to give a punch..would have been SUICIDE (stylistically) against Louis. Much like Foreman and Fraizer. AND Louis was a much sharper, technically coherent, combination puncher, than Forman....[ LOUIS by TKO in 8.]
1234