Jack Dempsey

Shane
What do you think of Jack? I think he was one of the best of all time. An absolute savage beast in the squared circle. Jack is in my top ten.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Zorro
Jack was one of the best ever. He was the Mike Tyson of the 1920s. He had devastating knockout power. He had many exciting fights. Bert Sugar gives Jack Dempsey a lot of praise.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Photobucket

I never get tired of watching him beat the crap out of Jess Willard. Dempsey exploded with that left hook. He administered a savage, Joe Jackson beatdown. He broke the man's jaw in 7 places with one left hook. And looking back, you gotta remember that Dempsey was the underdog. There were people taking bets that the giant Willard would literally kill Dempsey the way he did a previous opponent.

I love to watch Dempsey fight, but I wish the fight footage wasn't so grainy. High definition footage of Jack Dempsey would be awesome.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Maximillian
I think Jack was better than Marciano. But he would have improved his legacy by a huge margin if he hadn't ducked black fighters.

Re: Jack Dempsey

I agree. He lost his hunger shortly after winning the title. He sat on the belt for several years and went to Hollywood. Like Tyson, Bowe, Tua and several others, his focus declined and he wasted his prime years. But the hungry Dempsey who used to fight for food would knock out just about anybody. This kid was fighting for food and survival during his hobo days. That's why he fought so aggressively.

Re: Jack Dempsey

But the hungry Dempsey who used to fight for food would knock out just about anybody. This kid was fighting for food and survival during his hobo days. That's why he fought so aggressively.
Any man who gets knocked out of the ring and then climbs back through the ropes to win is OK by me.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Zorro
Jack would destroy the Klitschko brothers. I'm certain of it. I vote we dig him up and allow him to save boxing.

Re: Jack Dempsey

I vote the same.

Where do you rank Dempsey? He's in my top ten. Because of his speed and punching power, he's a threat to anyone in history. Until the day of his death, Jess Willard swore that Dempsey loaded his gloves. If that's the case, then Dempsey loaded his gloves for all of his bouts. lol.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Shane
Yeah. Jess Willard didn't believe that such a small man could clock him so good. He said there was a led pipe in Jack's left glove. No such thing. Jess got got his bell rung by one of the most terrifying left hooks in heavyweight boxing history. He went into the fight overconfident and out of shape.

Re: Jack Dempsey

I wish there was better fight footage of him. He was an exciting fighter during his day.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Shane
Gene Tunney would have been easily crushed by Jack Dempsey had they fought years earlier.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Urban Legend
A terrific article on Dempsey. He was better than given credit for.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/casey/MC_DempseyChampion.htm

Re: Jack Dempsey

Any new thoughts on the Manassa Mauler? We haven't discussed him around here lately.

Re: Jack Dempsey

There's a footage analysis of current middleweight sensation Gennady Golovkin going around on youtube. I encourge everybody to take a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijD09_O8ek

Make no mistake: That tactic isn't about switching stances.

It isn't used today because boxing changed. But as demonstrated by Golovkin, it can still be effective when done correctly.

Jack Dempsey was infamous for that tactic. You can even see him using it against Willard, in that GIF posted by AJ up there.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Re: Jack Dempsey

I agree. Dempsey could have been a much better champion than he was. I wish he would have given Big Bill Tate a title shot. If you've never heard of him, he was Dempsey's favorite sparring partner. Dempsey used him to train for Willard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxHY3p9DiQ

Re: Jack Dempsey

I agree. Dempsey could have been a much better champion than he was. I wish he would have given Big Bill Tate a title shot. If you've never heard of him, he was Dempsey's favorite sparring partner. Dempsey used him to train for Willard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxHY3p9DiQ
I wish there was more footage of Tate. He looked to be quite a fighter and better than Jess Willard.

Re: Jack Dempsey

Re: Jack Dempsey

There is a movie about Jack Dempsey in 1983.

Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8IwxVHWf4

It is released earlier than Rocky Marciano movie (1999).

Both have the mean 'glare' to kill you in the Boxing Ring...

Re: Jack Dempsey

I have both on DVD. The Jack Dempsey movie was B-O-R-I-N-G. I'm a big fan of Dempsey, but his rags to riches story isn't too interesting. He overcame some obstacles but I don't think his life story translated well to the screen. In the ring, however, was a different story. I easily find him the most exciting fighter from that era. Actually I find him to be the most exciting heavyweight until Cassius Clay came along.

Treat Williams also played in one of my favorite episodes of Tales From The Crypt. Sugar Ray Leonard had a cameo, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AK-y74pG9c

NOTE: I just noticed that the same company produced both films, which might explain the similar cover poses. But I love the Rocky Marciano film, which is my favorite boxing film ever. Forget the Rocky movies. I never got the hype about those films.
12