Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

This is the fight that Jack was itching to leave retirement for, but Dempsey drew the color line and refused to face black challengers. In your opinion, who would have won at their respective peaks?

Re: Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

Urban Legend
Jack Dempsey. Mr. Johnson had a glass chin.

Re: Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

Zombies Ate Me
Urban Legend wrote
Jack Dempsey. Mr. Johnson had a glass chin.
No he didn't.

Re: Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

I don't think Johnson had a glass jaw either. However he would not be able to handle the swarming pressure that Jack Dempsey would put on him. Dempsey's onslaught was like a vicious tornado. I think Johnson would be quickly hurt by Dempsey's body punches and grounded by his explosive left hook. Dempsey KO Round 1.

Re: Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

Zorro
Some say Johnson had a glass jaw because Stanley Ketchel (a middleweight) floored him hard and almost knocked him out but it was a punch that caught Jack by surprise. They were following a script and then Stanley walloped Johnson for real.

Having said that I must also point out that though Jack didn't have a bad chin, it wasn't durable enough to withstand a rampaging Jack Dempsey. Dempsey KO 1.

Re: Jack Johnson v. Jack Dempsey

BAD INTENTIONS
If they fought 3 times Dempsey would win two out of three. Jack Johnson was a master at feinting and counterpunching. If Dempsey got careless for one second, that would be the end of the fight. Dempsey had a few poor habits like fighting with his left hand low and telegraphing his hooks; not a good idea against Johnson. But I imagine Dempsey's speed and big punching power would enable him to knock out Johnson before he could capitalize on anything.