Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

49-0
Mike Tyson wouldn't want none of this.

As good as Tyson was early on, Joe Frazier would break him. He was good at fighting on the inside. Mike Tyson wasn't.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

GatorPurify wrote
 Tyson was much faster and stronger than Frazier
True but not by that much. Joe Frazier at his peak weighed 205 pounds in 1971 against Muhammad Ali. He weighed the same when he knocked out Mathis, Ellis, Chuvalo, etc. Mike Tyson's prime weight was around 215 pounds. He was bigger but not a whole lot faster and stronger. People underestimate how quick Frazier's hands were on the inside. If Joe was less than a foot away from you, you're not going to see that left hook coming. He threw quick and compact punches on the inside that would scramble your brain or break your ribs. (Ask Larry Holmes). Frazier was busier on the inside than Mike Tyson ever was, but I do agree that Mike Tyson would knock out Joe Frazier.

As for punching power, I think Joe and Mike were almost even. The difference was that Smokin' Joe relied on his left hook and only threw the right to the body. Mike Tyson used both hands and threw more jabs and uppercuts than Frazier, who was essentially just a hook slinger. That's the reason why Tyson generally had quicker knockouts than Joe Frazier

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Yeah. Frazier's punching power and hand speed gets slept on by many. He was also pin-point accurate just like Tyson during his peak years. (1968-1971)

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Frazier was the better fighter on the inside, but Tyson had a more sensational way of getting inside. His combinations were more than lethal. I just don't see Frazier surviving against Iron Mike in his prime. The uppercut would do it.
I agree.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Evolution
They would clash in center ring. I think Joe would back Tyson up. The man who backs up is the one who loses. That would be Tyson. If they trade left hooks, Joe would come out on top. Mike might have been a lil' stronger than Joe but that doesn't mean he automatically wins.

Joe's left hook might have been his finishing weapon but remember that he had a big uppercut on the inside and would outwork Tyson on the inside. Joe threw short punches less than 6 inches on the inside, too. Joe breaks Tyson's spirit early on and stops him with a left hook in round 11.

It's funny. I used to talk to Eddie Futch about this very fantasy fight. Joe Frazier always believed he would knock out Mike Tyson.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

^^Thanks for that insight, Evolution. Joe Frazier feared no one and believed that he could beat anyone. And to be fair, he was tough enough to have done so...except Big George.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Redemption wrote
Ask Larry Holmes
Larry said in this clip that Frazier would knock out Tyson. He sparred with Frazier and fought prime Tyson, so I respect his opinion. (Although I don't agree).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=q5tiJRErpnk

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

The Joe Frazier of 1968-1971 was a beast, but is getting stopped by the Mike Tyson of 1985-1988.
I agree. Would be a good fight. Both guys would be ducking into each other's shots but Tyson's uppercut? Whew boy. Tyson's uppercut would end it just as it did against Joe's son Marvis.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

George Jefferson
I see Tyson attempting to trade left hooks with Joe Frazier up close. Not good. This is Joe's fight to win.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Evolution
Anyone see the punch Joe used when he won the Olympic gold medal in '64? It was a short left hook that traveled less than 6 inches. Power shots like that are impossible to detect and scramble your brain like a fried egg. Tyson didn't throw punches that tight.

Tyson's best chance is the uppercut but it would be hard for him to land it against Frazier who would be ducking, feinting and hooking. Marvis Frazier got spooked and walked right into the uppercut. Joe wouldn't make that mistake. He'd stay in Tyson's face.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

It's Dale
Of course Frazier beats Tyson. Frazier was an all time great. Tyson lost every time he fought another legend. Joe Frazier would not fear Tyson and stops him cold.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

the boston strong boy
disagree

Thanks for the clip homie. But Larry is biased. Joe Frazier was one of his best friends and sparring partners. Tyson knocked Larry out when he was an old man. You can tell he's biased. Larry to this day doesn't like talking about his knockout loss to Tyson.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Larry said in this clip that Frazier would knock out Tyson. He sparred with Frazier and fought prime Tyson, so I respect his opinion. (Although I don't agree).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=q5tiJRErpnk
I've seen this before. I agree with everything except him saying Frazier takes a better punch than Tyson. They both had great chins but if forced to pick I would say Mike. Mike ate bombs from Lennox, Holyfield and Douglas and didn't go down for good until the late rounds. Frazier was KO'd quickly by the biggest puncher he fought: Foreman.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Stylewise, I keep finding video footage that demonstrates why Frazier's style is all wrong for Mike. I'm providing a link to Tyson's 1985 fight with Lorenzo Boyd. Boyd is no Frazier, of course, but he swarmed Tyson and stayed close. Tyson had a little trouble fighting him off and landing effective shots, but it was a body shot followed by a massive uppercut right up the middle that spelled sudden doom for Boyd. When you pressure Tyson, you're gonna get hit with an uppercut and that's where it ends. 10 years after this fight, Buster Mathis tried the same strategy and was knocked out by an uppercut as well.

http://youtu.be/TuCLS1mNkok

What it comes down to for me is that lethal uppercut Tyson possessed. If he didn't have that uppercut, I could see Frazier beating him. But no way does Frazier survive that uppercut, especially crouching right in front of Tyson the whole fight. Remember that I'm a huge Frazier fan. I named our dog after Joe Frazier. lol.

Take a look at the link and watch the interviews with both fighters before and after the fight. Lorenzo did not see the uppercut coming.

What was that guy trying to do? He smothered Mike but didn't throw anything. This makes me think because you're right. Mike was somewhat ineffective when smothered and forced backward, like here and the Mathis fight. But the minute that uppercut found home it was instantly over for those chumps. The same might happen to Joe Frazier but Joe was so much better at applying pressure, slipping blows and countering than these "swarming" bums that Mike knocked out. Maybe Tyson wouldn't be able to adjust? I don't know how early the knockout happens  but I'd say Tyson would struggle with Joe for a few rounds before an uppercut ends it.

Take a look at the link and watch the interviews with both fighters before and after the fight. Lorenzo did not see the uppercut coming.
I agree Duggerman. Tyson's speed was impeccable. Those vicious Tyson combinations would catch Joe. Boyd didn't see that hook uppercut coming. Smokin Joe is my favorite fighter of all times. I gotta be honest though.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

BAD INTENTIONS
Im a Smokin Joe fan but I dont think the style works in his favor against Mike Tyson. Frazier was a slow starter and Tyson was a Hurricane in the early rounds.

I think Tyson`s wicked uppercuts with either hand would be Joe`s undoing.

I think if Joe could get into the 5th or 6th round he would have a good chance of making it about heart and stamina as much as speed and power. He could win.

Overall though Id have to take Tyson by early Knockout.

We'll never quite know because the only two fighters close to Joe's style that Tyson fought were Lorenzo Boyd and Buster Mathis Jr and both were bums. Can't compare them to peak Joe Frazier but they took his approach and Tyson destroyed both with scary uppercuts.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Urban Legend wrote
Sorry, but Tyson is going to struggle to get that body punch-uppercut combination off against a pushing, bobbing fighter of the same size, looking to take his head off with a left hook first chance he gets.
Did you see Tyson's two round stoppage of Lorenzo Boyd? AJ posted it here recently. Tyson KO'd Lorenzo instantly with that combination and he was the same size as Mike. That combination could stop anyone whether you're in close or towering tall over Mike.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Sivul
Joe's strength was his stamina and left hook..he was relentless. His 'style' was wrong for Foreman which was why he lost so badly..any other fighter he beats although he never fought a prime Ali..Tyson is better technically,quicker and hits a little harder, but I take Joe to beat even Tyson..mentally tougher, and more stamina..a true legend!!!

12345