Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

precious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGFHabnn0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2hGJvdwx8

Duggerman This is a really funny 2 part interview of Ali, Holmes & Norton promoting 'Champions Forever'. Holmes said in this clip that all 3 would beat Tyson but Frazier defended Tyson describing him as a marksman. I think a young Tyson was just that & has bigger arsenal of punches than Frazier, as well as a fast starter from the first bell where Joe would be vulnerable. I admire Joe's determination & heart but I think Tyson would win this one.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

I've seen that before. Thanks for posting! I don't think Larry likes Tyson much because he lost to him. You seen this? Short but sweet...Larry talking about Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37RmojZVF4c&feature=relmfu

Nice dog, btw. Is it yours? I have a black lab named Joe Frazier. You'll see him in the "My top 5 knockouts thread."

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Yes his name was Bob a German Shepherd, great big softy, he died a couple of years ago. I really like Black Labradors, they are becoming nearly as popular as their golden lab counterparts here in England. Smokin Joe looks like he's trying to get in on you're act in the video lol

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

I agree, I still see Holmes losing in the same way to a young Tyson because he wouldn't have let him of the hook like Shavers did, he was a great finisher.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

I decided to watch both of them in action earlier tonight. I viewed one complete round, and four quick kayos. The first clip was the opening three minutes of Frazier/Quarry I. The second and third replays were Tyson's rapid demolitions of Mike Spinks, and Frazier's kid Marvis. Finally, Smokin' Joe's one round 1969 blowout of Dave Zyglewicz, where Joe drops Ziggy 13 seconds after the opening bell with his sixth hook of the contest.

Tyson would be in a world of trouble here. Mike wouldn't be facing an intimidated opponent in Smoke, and he couldn't bank on pre FOTC Frazier getting off to a slow start. Jimmy Ellis did well for two and a half rounds by staying the hell away from Joe, hardly Tyson's style.

If Mike did manage to hurt Joe, Smoke wouldn't stop coming, wouldn't stop getting up if Tyson did manage to floor him for an instant. For every right uppercut Mike attempted, Joe would produce three economically devastating hooks to Mike's head and body. Tyson's overhand right would simply go sailing over Joe's bobbing head. No matter how good Mike's head movement was, that wouldn't prevent Joe from nailing him downstairs. Joe would also be a lot more relaxed than Mike. It helped Tyson that Spinks was tense. Joe wouldn't be wrapped so tight.

Quarry started fast against Joe, in their title fight following the Zyglewicz massacre, pouring in nearly a hundred punches in that opening round, and Jerry could hit. Over 50 of Jerry's hooks went downstairs. But Joe returned fire, with over 60 of his own shots in that opening frame. After just two rounds, Jerry was already tiring. With Ziggy, Joe would take a little step back, and let fly with that hook.

Tyson didn't have the awesome shoving strength of a Foreman, and we're not talking about a post FOTC Frazier here. Frazier could very definitely get out of the opening rounds against Mike, then watch out! Unlike Joe, once Tyson went down, he wouldn't be able to beat the count.

Frazier KO 13 Tyson

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

precious wrote
I agree, I still see Holmes losing in the same way to a young Tyson because he wouldn't have let him of the hook like Shavers did, he was a great finisher.
It's funny you mention that. A lot of people criticize Mike for not beating anyone great, but I always felt the outcome against any version of Holmes would've been the same. It just looked as if Tyson was bad match up for Holmes.

Note that Holmes gave Evander a razor close fight 2 years AFTER getting knocked out by Mike.
Defeating Ray Mercer 4 years AFTER getting knocked out by Mike. (the same Mercer who gave Lennox a razor close fight in 1996)

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Alexander
Shane wrote
No. Just no.

Tyson was a far more accurate, sharper and quicker puncher than George Foreman. Making things worse is that he often punched in combinations. Joe would not see Mike's punches coming!! Joe would be out cold. Tyson would hurt Joe worse than George did. This is coming from Joe Frazier's biggest fan, btw.
I don't think that this would be a Foreman style blowout.

Tysons reach is actualy shorter than Fraziers so he would have to stand within convenient punching distence to land unlike Foreman. There is also a big question about how Tyson would handel Fraziers infighting technique. If Frazier goes under and gets inside on Tyson (who was esentialy a mid range fighter) can Mike adapt to it?

Frazier generaly needed a couple of rounds to warm up to his task but it is not a universal rule. He got off the starting line prety fast against Machen and nearly had him out in the first round.

It is likley that Tyson will get Frazier out of there early as some have predicted but I can see other scenario's unfolding.

1. Fraziers infighting might completely take away Tysons game in the early rounds.

2. Frazier might come out on top in an early round slugfest against the odds.

3. Frazier might simply weather the early storm and take over in mid fight due to his workrate.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

J.C.
It's Dale wrote
[...]

I applaud this post for many reasons, my guy. Some have said here that Tyson hit too hard for Frazier. If Bonavena couldn't stop Frazier I don't think Tyson could. Even when Foreman clobbered Joe, Joe kept coming. Joe had a great chin and would easily outwork Tyson on the inside.

Seeing Tyson struggle with Lorenzo Boyd, Buster Mathis Jr and Holyfield when they pressured him tells me right off that Joe Frazier would smoke him good. Joe's pressure was so much stronger than those guys.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

It is not so much the power-though Frazier could be rocked by lesser punchers-but the explosive & accurate punches & defense.
chance.
Explosiveness IS power. An exercise like the powerclean is all about exploding in order to increase your power. Plyometric jumps are explosive movements that create power. But Tyson had also a very strong punch - I heard from people who sparred with him and various others.

I believe Frazier vs. Tyson would be a short fight overall, maybe 6 rounds - max. 8 rounds. And I can't see Frazier coming out on top here. I'd pick Mike Tyson to win.

But fights against Frazier and Foreman would take a lot out of him. He'd get chased out of his prime by them, which means that Frazier can have the upperhand in the rematch.

Though do not see that fights against Foreman & Frazier necessarily would remove him from prime, especially if he gets Joe out early.
If two fights against Ruddock took a lot out of Mike, I believe that a fight against Foreman and Frazier would do it too. But since his prime was short anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

J.C.
You cannot take non-peak performances & assess how a guy would do.  That is as wrong as using Early or mid-'70's Frazier as an example.
It's about the styles, not peak versus peak. Mike Tyson never fought anyone who applied pressure in his prime. The closest was Lorenzo Boyd. Duggerman posted the fight video earlier. Lorenzo stayed on Tyson but was eventually taken out by an uppercut. Frazier would do much better.

Buster Mathis Jr and Holyfield put pressure on Tyson and made him uncomfortable too. He wasn't 20 years old anymore and not at his peak but he was still dangerous. Still hard hitting and had great handspeed. Tyson never adjusted well to pressure and that was Joe's thing.

Just like how Marciano pressured Louis and beat him when he was old. You could argue the same thing would have happened regardless of age, especially with Louis admitting later that Rocky would always beat him. Styles make fights and I'm not comfortable picking Tyson over Frazier in a phone booth fight.

Seriously, mate. Watch this and see how uncomfortable Tyson is against this nobody. Imagine if this were 1970-71 Joe Frazier instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XpyBwes6c

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Brooklyn's Finest
Good debate here. Most guys were scared of getting hit by Mike so naturally you back away from him when he's coming at cha. Kevin always wanted Mike to be prepared just in case he would ever fight anyone brave enough to come at him with the same aggression so there were guys that would do that. Mike punched too hard for each of them. He'd knock them out easy.

Mike was being honest in the post-fight interview after the Mathis fight when he said "I'm the best at that style of fighting. I knew every move he was going to make." Mike was right. He was just caught off guard that night. Who expected Buster to come at Mike like that and maintain the pressure? Not me, and even so, Mike was still winning the fight easy. The accurate Mike Tyson from 10 years prior would have KO'd him in the first round instead of the 3rd.

Joe Frazier was certainly the busier fighter on the inside but Mike had more in his arsenal and Joe would get knocked out. Unlike the guys that hurt Joe like Bonavena, Chuvalo, Ramos, etc, Mike would be sure to finish him. This would come down to Frazier fighting a bigger, stronger, quicker but less hyper version of himself.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

J.C. wrote
Entaowed wrote
[...]

I agree with J.C.

Entaowed, you can still use 1970s Frazier as an example. George Foreman would destroy him regardless of how young or old Frazier is. And Frazier's specialty was an up close, nose to nose slugfest. Frazier would outpunch Tyson once the two locked ass in center ring.

I'm a Mike Tyson fan and I admit that he was more talented than Frazier. But Frazier had the workrate, heart and guts that Tyson never had. Forget head to head for a minute. Let's do a run-down of each boxer.

Mike Tyson

Won: 50
Lost: 6
Draws: 0
KO's: 44
Heavyweight Champ from 1986-90
Best wins over TKO3 Frank Bruno, TKO1 Carl Williams, KO1 Michael Spinks, TKO2 Tony Tubbs, TKO4 Larry Holmes, TKO7 Tyrell Biggs, TKO6 Pinklon Thomas, TKO2 Trevor Berbick

Joe Frazier

Won: 32
Lost: 4
Draws: 1
KO's: 27
Heavyweight Champ from 1970-73
Best wins over W10 W15 Oscar Bonavena, TKO4 George Chuvalo, KO11 Buster Mathis, TKO7, TKO5 Jerry Quarry, TKO5, TKO9 Jimmy Ellis, KO2 Bob Foster, W15 Muhammad Ali

I could never in my life picture Joe Frazier losing to BUSTER DOUGLAS, DANNY WILLIAMS or KEVIN MCBRIDE!! Even though those last two were past Tyson's peak, Frazier still won fights past his peak, beating Joe Bugner and then Jerry Quarry and Jimmy Ellis in rematches. He did moderately well in his final fight in 1981 against Jumbo Cummings. Mike Tyson didn't even try in the middle rounds with Williams and McBride when he discovered they could take his punches. Would an older Mike Tyson beat tough guys like Jerry Quarry and Jimmy Ellis? I doubt it. But a past prime Frazier certainly did.

Joe Frazier only lost to two fighters - Muhammad Ali and George Foreman. You could argue that Holyfield or Lewis might beat Joe too. This isn't the thread for that. But Joe Frazier dominated in part of the greatest era of heavyweight boxing and only lost to two of the biggest names ever in Ali and Foreman. AND, Joe Frazier beat Muhammad Ali in the biggest fight of his career.

Look at Tyson and he KO'd Michael Spinks in the biggest fight of his career. I'd say beating 29 year-old Muhammad Ali is a much bigger accomplishment, wouldn't you?

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Did Frazier explain why he can't beat Foreman?

Is it because of Foreman's uppercuts?

Could he beat Lennox Lewis as well?

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

redfeng007 wrote
Did Frazier explain why he can't beat Foreman?

Is it because of Foreman's uppercuts?

Could he beat Lennox Lewis as well?
Yeah. He talked about both fights at length in his book, and I talked to his son Marvis about it, too.

I'll scan what Joe had to say about the Foreman fights later, but in a nutshell he said no one ever hit him so hard. Joe was always at risk for getting cracked as he worked his way inside and Foreman threw his uppercut in a way that Frazier would almost always get caught.

Most guys punched downward at Frazier and his head movement made them miss. But Foreman swung his uppercut as if he were swinging a baseball bat, rather than launching it upward like most guys do.

Joe got close and cracked Foreman with a great left hook early in the fight. George was temporarily stunned and shoved Joe away. From that point on he kept shoving Joe back and landing as he came in.

In the second fight Joe had two things working for him.

1) He didn't stand right in front of Foreman this time. He circled in and out, hoping to knock him out later once he tires. It didn't work obviously but it was an admirable strategy.

2) Foreman was afraid to "pull the trigger," so to speak. After losing to Ali he was afraid of wasting punches or tiring himself out. There were many times Foreman could have KO'd Jimmy Young and Joe Frazier (in the rematch) but he was hesitant.

Redfeng, we have a great thread on Frazier V. Foreman here if you'd like to contribute. :)

Regarding Lennox Lewis v. Joe Frazier, we have a thread on it also. Let me warn ya. It's pretty competitive in there!

To get back on topic though, I still pick Tyson to win by early knockout. However, if Frazier wasn't vulnerable early I'd give it to him. Not many guys could afford to brawl toe to toe with Joe Frazier. Remember what happened to Jerry Quarry in their first fight? Dave Zyglewicz was a tough guy who'd never been dropped before but he tried brawling with Frazier and got KO'd in less than a round.

The points people have made about Joe being the superior in-fighter are more than valid. Marciano was a better in-fighter than Tyson as well. But I don't see Frazier or Marciano lasting long with Tyson, mainly because both men were vulnerable early in the fight when Tyson was at his strongest.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Ryan
Maxmillian wrote
 Frazier knocks out Tyson after breaking his will.
Hell yes, doc. "Iron" Mike would become 'tearful' Mike after eating those devastating hooks from Smokin' Joe.

Sivul wrote
I take Joe to beat even Tyson..mentally tougher, and more stamina..a true legend!!!

Amen to that, doc.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

This is the issue: The left hook.
Joe is going to throw it. He's going to try to decide the fight with the left hook, over and over again.

But Mike and Kevin Rooney are aware of that. Of course a slick and talented boxer like Ali was aware of it, and it didn't help. He even got knocked down by that punch. But something what Ali would never do is duck under the left hook (Ali never ducked under - he leaned back), squat down and fire a hook of his own to Joe's body (Ali never squated and went to the body). That's something I can see Mike Tyson doing.

I think there is a possibility that Joe outslugs Tyson on the inside. If Joe can take the lead, Mike has a serious problem because he never came back when he was behind.

I believe also a difference between Joe vs. Foreman and Joe vs. Mike: The Frazier fight made Foreman even more intimidating. But I believe Joe would remove all the mistery around prime Tyson by fighting a couragous fight and hurting him severel times, even if he loses.

It's like the school bully losing his crediblity by getting clocked by a weaker kid.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Urban Legend
Apollo Creed wrote
This is the issue: The left hook.
Joe is going to throw it. He's going to try to decide the fight with the left hook, over and over again.

But Mike and Kevin Rooney are aware of that. Of course a slick and talented boxer like Ali was aware of it, and it didn't help. He even got knocked down by that punch. But something what Ali would never do is duck under the left hook (Ali never ducked under - he leaned back), squat down and fire a hook of his own to Joe's body (Ali never squated and went to the body). That's something I can see Mike Tyson doing.

I think there is a possibility that Joe outslugs Tyson on the inside. If Joe can take the lead, Mike has a serious problem because he never came back when he was behind.
Good post. The difference being that Frazier would keep firing back no matter how hard Mike Tyson hits him. But Mike would get discouraged when Frazier digs him with those left hooks to the ribs. Frazier would land much more often too being the busier inside fighter.

Take a look in Mike's eyes during the second Razor Ruddock fight when Razor hurt him bad with an uppercut. Also look at Mike's face when Evander Holyfield hit him with a triple left hook in the first round of the first fight - two to the belly and one last one to the head. Ultimately I see Mike getting discouraged and broken down by Joe the way he did Jerry Quarry in their first fight when Jerry came out slugging.

A peak Joe Frazier would destroy Mike Tyson.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Who else here is predicting victory for the guy they would prefer to be lose?
Most start with a fan preference & nend the scenario to suit their fan bias.
I can't speak for others but I said myself much earlier in the thread that I'm a big Tyson fan AND he's more talented than Frazier. I explained why I pick Frazier to beat him. It's no bias, at least on my part.

One look at the FOTC shows that NO OTHER heavyweight in history could fight at a pace faster than Joe Frazier. None. Marciano came the closest. No way does Tyson survive the storm.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Many say Frazier's management kept him away from th best sluggers.  With Forwman as a notable exception.  This is debatable.
I heard that too but don't see any truth to it. Joe cleaned out the division during the '60s. The only big names he didn't fight were Earnie Terrell, Sonny Liston and Leotis Martin. Leotis Martin suffered an eye problem just before he could fight Frazier and Frazier would have killed that mane anyway. Sonny Liston was too old at the time and I'll bet anything his management kept him from Frazier. Sonny had to be in his forties by then.

I don't know why Joe didn't fight Earnie but Terrell but I wouldn't pick him to beat peak Frazier. Besides, Frazier fought Bonavena, Quarry, Chuvalo, Foster, Ellis and many others who could pop. He didn't duck any punchers.

I just think it's another case of people making any excuse they can that Joe had a "glass chin."

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

 Also no likelihood a prime Tyson is getting KOed.
Do you mean in general or in particular by Frazier?

In general I can see prime Tyson knocked out.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Tyson's face when he beat Ruddock-slearly both times-does not mean much.
I forgot to respond to this earlier. I think the look of panic and hurt on Tyson's face when he got hit by Razor mean a lot! The guy stood there and froze. He did the same thing when hit hard by Bruno, Lewis and others. Someone better than Ruddock would have finished him off right then and there! Let Joe Frazier land a monster hook on Tyson. If Tyson stood there frozen Joe would tear him apart and Tyson would never get back in the fight.

Even when Joe was hurt by Foreman he pretended he wasn't and wanted desperately to continue. Rule #1 of fighting is bravado. Don't let your opponent know when he's hurt you. Once Joe sees the hopelessness on Tyson's face it's a wrap. Frazer wouldn't fear him and beats him mentally then physically.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Urban Legend wrote
Rule #1 of fighting is bravado. Don't let your opponent know when he's hurt you. Once Joe sees the hopelessness on Tyson's face it's a wrap. Frazer wouldn't fear him and beats him mentally then physically.
Joe said in his book that he saw the defeated look on the faces of guys like Quarry, Mathis, and Ramos, he went in for the kill. He said it was like blood to sharks to him.

Anything can happen when two swarmers clash in center ring. They would be ducking and weaving into each other's blows. Whoever backs up will lose. Frazier was better in this kind of brawl but Mike's power saves the day early before Joe starts smokin.

If Frazier had a chin on the level of Tua, McCall or Chuvalo, then he definitely breaks Tyson and wins by TKO late. But I'm not comfortable picking Frazier over Tyson. Mike just had too much 'Iron' in his fists, hence the name.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Freezing is a different story bthan a mere expression.  I will have to look for that.

What AJ said + Frazier is not elusive enough.  The iron + speedy combinations would be a deciding factor.
Tyson froze when hit hard and had a look of defeat on his face. Look at his face against Lewis, Holyfield and Ruddock when they landed hard. The defeated look would inspire Frazier to go for the kill and Tyson just standing there would certainly get him blown out by a left hook.

And of course Joe Frazier was elusive. Muhammad Ali was one of the best jabbers of all time and Frazier made him miss with most of them in 3 fights. He would duck Tyson's hooks and land with his own. He threw that left hook like a whip.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Tyson had to finish Frazier fast on the early rounds.

If not, Frazier will TKO him on the late rounds.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Ellis was not a big "popper", & Foster not at all on the HW level, look at his string of step up losses.
Though Frazier was great then, it was like Ali vs. Cleveland not an epic challenge to say the least.
Jimmy Ellis did have a good right hand though. It wasn't as hard as Rocky Marciano or as fast as Floyd Patterson but it could take you by surprise. Remember when he KO'd Oscar Bonavena? That's something Joe Frazier could not do in two grueling fights.

Bob Foster had one of the most powerful left hooks in the history of light heavyweights. Did you ever see his knockout of Mike Quarry? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgA41C3fCs Naturally that punch won't carry over to heavyweights but he could pop.

And no I would not compare Frazier's fights with Ellis and Foster to Ali's fight with Williams. Williams was injured by a gunshot and only plodded forward. Ellis and Foster were both in their primes and healthy and tried to make a fight of it. Joe Frazier was just too great.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

AJ, would you describe Tyson's look when rocked in all or some of the above fights as one of "defeat"?
This is an interpretation anyway, not science, but whaddya done thunk?
It was a look of defeat, in my opinion. He let Ruddock get some extra shots in afterward but eventually won the fights. But against Holyfield and Lewis he wasn't the same after taking the punches that made him look that way.
123