Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

49-0
Larry Holmes told Duggerman that Joe was a harder puncher than Tyson. Did you see the interview? It's posted here somewhere. Some people dispute Frazier hitting harder than Tyson but it could well be true. Larry was the only person to feel both of their power - Joe in sparring and he fought Tyson.

Where did you hear that Joe avoided punchers? What punchers did he avoid? I read that he tried booking a fight with Shavers but it fell through, and Sonny Liston avoided Joe. Joe did fight Foreman twice, and Bonavena could bang too.

The last thing I disagree with is Douglas being feather-fisted. He hit Tyson with some hard, thudding shots. That uppercut before the KO was a huge punch. Tyson's head almost flew off! lol.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Alucard
Yeah i saw that interview, but Holmes always seemed a bit biased against Tyson for that ko defeat... Tyson has a better ko record and floored bigger opponents than Frazier, but no doubt he hit hard, Evolution also said that he sparred lightly with an old Frazier when he trained Cooper, and his left hook was still crazy... Well, many said that Frazier avoided Liston, Norton, Lyle, Shavers, but yeah i don't believe it, sharing the ring with a monster like Foreman was enough, although losing to him was better legacy wise than against the other lesser bangers... Douglas was not a puncher, his record shows it, but as you rightly said that night with Tyson he looked great and did throw with very bad intentions, hurt Tyson plenty with big shots, and yeah that final uppercut was vicious! You could hear the punch and it was crazy!

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Alucard wrote
Well, many said that Frazier avoided Liston, Norton, Lyle, Shavers, but yeah i don't believe it, sharing the ring with a monster like Foreman was enough, although losing to him was better legacy wise than against the other lesser bangers...
I interviewed Joe Frazier's son Marvis and spent a lot of time with him a couple years ago. I've also met his sister Natasha Frazier, and I have a copy of their dad's autobiography. I know a lot about Smokin' Joe!!

Frazier and Norton were great friends and did not want each other in the ring. They sparred often though. According to Marvis, their sparring sessions were competitive but Joe generally whooped Ken, although Ken dropped Joe once.

Joe nearly fought Shavers twice but something would always come up. Eddie Futch didn't support Joe facing Shavers. Not because he felt Joe would get destroyed, but because this was in 1977-78. Joe was too far past his prime and barely stayed in retirement. He had that warrior spirit.

Joe didn't duck Sonny Liston. It was the other way around. Joe cleaned out the division in the late '60s when Ali was exiled. Sonny Liston was older and wanted no part of Frazier. I'm not sure why Frazier never fought Lyle, but I'm sure the timing wasn't right because Lyle was making moves when Frazier's career was winding down.

This is something people don't realize. Joe had just went through hell in Manilla with Ali. In his very next bout what fight did he take? A rematch with George Foreman!! The man had stones. We saw what happened when he fought George the first time. After Manilla, most guys would take easy fights for about a year at least. Not Frazier. He took the most dangerous fight out there! He feared no one. I don't understand where the rumors came from that Joe ducked sluggers.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Shogun of Harlem
Frazier could outwork Tyson easily as he was the better inside fighter. But he wouldn't survive Tyson's bombs. With all due respect to Frazier, he probably wouldn't last much longer than his son did.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Westmoreland
Joe was much tougher than "Iron" Mike. His inside fighting and swarming tops Mike. Some of you are a little too high on Tyson. Come on. Since when does Joe have a glass chin? Only one man knocked him out his whole career. Foreman stopped Joe but Joe kept getting up. But some of you say Mike would kill Joe the way he did Marvis? lol. Mike was not as big or powerful as George Foreman, and Joe was still trying to keep attacking even when George had him hurt.

When two swarmers meet in the center of the ring, anything can happen, but phone booth wars were Joe's specialty. Mike would not be able to hook with Joe on the inside. Joe's left hook was ferocious and constant. Joe would beat the hell out of Mike. Mike either quits or gets KO'd before he quits.

But while we're on the topic here is a pic of Joe wrapping Mike's gloves.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Westmoreland
When (not if) Joe slams Mike with a left hook like this, Mike would go down in a heap crying and not get back up...

GIFSoup
That left hook would definitely crack Mike. Mike had a habit of pausing when getting cracked hard. And that's when Joe would hit him again!

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

South Pacific
Tyson’s uppercut was savage. But when you drop your arm to throw an uppercut you leave your head wide open for a left hook. In fact that's how Joe dropped Ali in 1971 - Ali dropped his hand to throw an uppercut and Joe nailed him during that brief opening.

If Frazier and Tyson were slugging it out nose to nose and Tyson went for an uppercut, Frazier would land his hook first. This would be a tough fight for Tyson. Joe`s workrate on the inside was phenomenal. I remember Evander Holyfield hurting Tyson in '96 with a triple left hook - two the body and one to the head. Tyson stood there for a few seconds in a daze and didn’t throw anything back. Well, throwing double and triple left hooks was a trademark of Frazier and when Tyson gets hurt and just stands there, Frazier will move in for the kill.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Hit Em' Hard
South Pacific wrote
Tyson’s uppercut was savage. But when you drop your arm to throw an uppercut you leave your head wide open for a left hook. In fact that's how Joe dropped Ali in 1971 - Ali dropped his hand to throw an uppercut and Joe nailed him during that brief opening.

If Frazier and Tyson were slugging it out nose to nose and Tyson went for an uppercut, Frazier would land his hook first. This would be a tough fight for Tyson. Joe`s workrate on the inside was phenomenal. I remember Evander Holyfield hurting Tyson in '96 with a triple left hook - two the body and one to the head. Tyson stood there for a few seconds in a daze and didn’t throw anything back. Well, throwing double and triple left hooks was a trademark of Frazier and when Tyson gets hurt and just stands there, Frazier will move in for the kill.
You make a good case for Frazier. But would Joe's chin stand up to Mike's power? This, and the fact that Joe was often vulnerable early (while Tyson was at his strongest early) leads me to believe that Tyson wins by blowout before Joe starts smoking.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

49-0
^^This is a phone booth fight. Mike was not a good inside fighter; Joe would get off first when they clash.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Will69
Mike is just too strong.  His punches are quicker than Joe's, more accurate, more varied, and have one-punch knock-out kill-power.   Fraizer is like a high-speed blender coming at you and sticking in your face and chest.  But Mike is dynamite.  Dynamite wins.  Especially as Joe wasn't a big guy, a peak, ferocious Tyson would explode all over him and Mike could handle Fraizer's grinding assault enough rounds till he found an opening and launched his missiles.  The fact that Joe only fought on the inside makes it all the more certain that Tyson would eventually make the kill.

It's interesting that so many of the posters here made the obligatory "I'm a Fraizer fan, I would want Fraizer to win", etc..  to get entrance to the discussion.  To me, the validity of your opinion isn't or shouldn't be determined by who's poster you had on your bedroom wall growing up.  I'm a big Tyson fan, but I know Lewis or Klitschkos would win against him (Although Tyson would have a real chance against Lewis in the 80s), and I wouldn't be shy in saying so.

Re: Joe Frazier Would Kick Mike Tyson's Behind

Urban Legend wrote
by the end of the night, Tyson will be frustrated with his back to the ropes, wandering what he got himself into.
Good post.
12345