Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Don

Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Don
What made it so special in your opinions?
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

No one could sling the left hook like Smokin' Joe Frazier. He owned that punch. Yank Duram taught Frazier different techniques on how and when to launch the punch.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

GatorPurify
It was a punch you couldn't escape. He could throw it from any position at any angle. And with his bullying boxing style you were gonna feel the wrath of it. The fighters he fought knew the left hook was coming but couldn't stop it.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

49-0
That was the only punch he threw. Sure he was good at it but he was really a "one-armed banger."

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Urban Legend
49-0 wrote
That was the only punch he threw. Sure he was good at it but he was really a "one-armed banger."
Not true. The left hook was just his finisher and favorite counter-punch. He threw both hands to the body and had powerful uppercuts while in close.

He threw that left hook in unpredictable combinations and attacked both the body and the head. There was no way to avoid that punch when you're in the ring with him. He was pinpoint accurate, had fast hands and was a dynamite slugger.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Don wrote
What made it so special in your opinions?
The fact that no one could trade left hooks with Joe Frazier and come out on top.

Also, Joe's left hook dropped the great Muhammad Ali on his ass. Muhammad had a chin of iron and took powerful shots from George Foreman, Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers without problem, but Joe's left hook gave him trouble in each of their three fights.

Best left hook in the history of boxing. In any weight class. It was quick, explosive and accurate.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Evolution
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Best left hook in the history of boxing. In any weight class. It was quick, explosive and accurate.
Precisely. I've heard stories about how Joe smashed open the speed bag with a single left hook. There is a clip of him knocking the speed bag off the holster.

Joe trained Bert Cooper, whom I had the pleasure of sparring with. There were a few times I sparred with old Joe when Joe needed to show Bert a technique or two. Even at the age of 38 Joe would punish you with that hook and no matter how you position yourself or try to deflect it, you're gonna get hit with it. Joe taught Bert (and myself indirectly) that there is always an opening.

Joe was far, far past his best when he was teaching me and Bert but I know he would have beat the hell out of me during his prime. And he drilled Bert well...Bert stayed on you almost just as well as a prime Joe Frazier would. He gave me hell every day in the gym. Like David Tua, he never lived up to his full potential as a boxer. Shame.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

[...]

Love these kinds of stories.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Shane
When you think of left hooks at heavyweight, you autmoatically think Joe Frazier. That left hook made many tough contenders crumble. Muhammad Ali, Jimmy Ellis, George Chuvalo, Jerry Quarry, Eddie Machen, Bob Foster, I can go on and on.

I'll put it this way...Joe's left hook conquered most of the best fighters of the best generation of quality heavyweights.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Maximillian
Muhammad Ali said that Joe had an inside left hook that would sneak past him and nail him. Muhammad can time punches when you lunge at him but on the inside he was defenseless especially with his hands down.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Bugs
Joe had the perfect left hook..so short, compact, quick, precise and earth shatteringly powerful. He and Joe Louis had the same left hook in close. Joe Frazier was smart about his hook. He didn't leave himself open by lunging in...he threw quick and powerful hooks inside and only lunged in when you were hurt and he was going for the kill. Timing and angles are everything,, and Joe knew it.

I have to give Evander his props too. He threw a mean counter left hook  similar to Joe Frazier.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

When Joe threw those short left hooks that traveled less than six inches, you were done. That's the left hook that knocked out Buster Mathis.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Zorro
I've seen that left hook in person. I still remember the thuds from when he kept cracking Jerry Quarry with it. Joe's left hook is second only to Joe Louis, who threw every punch perfectly. But you could argue Joe Frazier's left hook was better because he threw it with so much variety.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Hit Em' Hard
That hook had a lot of bite to it. It destroyed a lot of tough men.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

BAD INTENTIONS
Joe's hook had a machine-gun type viciousness to it. He could bang and threw the hook better than anyone else but it wasn't a one-punch destroyer like David Tua's left hook.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Shane
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
Joe's hook had a machine-gun type viciousness to it. He could bang and threw the hook better than anyone else but it wasn't a one-punch destroyer like David Tua's left hook.
I think it was more effective that David Tua's left hook though. David was stronger and punched with a lot of force. Like we were saying in the "modern boxers vs. old sckool" thread, punching power is really generated by a snap. George Foreman said that his power came from his forearms. It was the force of his strength that did it...not brutal punching power. I know Evolution sparred with Tua and Foreman and said that their power was the same....it was the force of the punches that knocked you all over the ring, not the snap, as was the case with Frazier, Tyson, Joe Louis, Demspey, etc.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

During the post-fight segment after Joe Frazier beat Ali in '71, Archie Moore, Don Dunphy and the other sportcasters noted how Frazier's opponents fall backward the same way when they get struck with his vaunted left hook. They fall flat on their back, legs up in the air. It must be something about the angle that he hits you. It's rare that one punch makes almost all of your opponents fall the same way.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

During the post-fight segment after Joe Frazier beat Ali in '71, Archie Moore, Don Dunphy and the other sportcasters noted how Frazier's opponents fall backward the same way when they get struck with his vaunted left hook. They fall flat on their back, legs up in the air. It must be something about the angle that he hits you. It's rare that one punch makes almost all of your opponents fall the same way.
Now that I think about it you're right. I don't know of any other punch that makes people fall the same way each time.  I read somewhere that Joe was blind in his right eye which was why he used his left hook so often. It was to keep his opponent away from his right eye.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

I noticed that myself. It's the snap of the punch when it connects to the chin, as well as the fact that most of Frazier's opponents were moving backward when he blasted em'.

If he catches you moving forward you may sag to the ground on your face the way Jimmy Ellis did during the first knockdown.

Re: Joe Frazier's Left Hook..

Zorro
Here is another pic. That left hook knocked bastards right on their backs.

12