Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Evan Fields
What did everyone here think of this fight? It was Joe's last professional fight. The smoke was up but he still looked better than Tyson did versus Kevin McBride, or Ali against Berbrick and Larry Holmes.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Zorro
I forgot all about that fight. Joe may have threw less punches but he was still very active even at that age. I remember this fight and was surprised it even happened. Joe had been rumored to fight Shavers, Holmes and several others but the fights never happened. When I read that he was going to fight this ex-convict I took it with a grain of salt but the damn fight actually happened. I havent seen the fight in years. I remember Joe looking bad..not as good as Joe Louis at that age against Marciano but still better than Mike Tyson in his last fights. Is the fight on youtube?

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Is the fight on youtube?
Yes. Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3veF34xz4sk

This thread inspired me to watch it and it is pretty competitive. Cummings controlled the early rounds, then Frazier came on strong in the middle rounds, and Cummings had loose control as the fight ended. There was a time when it looked like Frazier was gonna get stopped. Cummings had him hurt bad for a minute there. Frazier definitely had his moments though and would have KO'd Cummings in his prime with no problem. I love how every time Frazier launched his left hook, the crowd erupted in cheers. lol.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

BAD INTENTIONS
Frazier was 37 and 229 pounds in 1981. I have a ruff copy.. Frazier was faded when he fought a younger Jumbo Cummings... Frazier wasn't embarrassed, just shot..... The draw was fair---enough......

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

49-0
Joe lost this fight but put on a good showing for a couple of rounds in the middle. He reminded me of Mike Tyson the way that he stormed across the ring to attack to begin the rounds.

Since the fight was relatively close, the judges didn't want to admit Joe lost, but they didn't want him to progress in this sad state either. A draw was the best decision to coax him into permanent retirement.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

GatorPurify
49-0 wrote
Joe lost this fight but put on a good showing for a couple of rounds in the middle. He reminded me of Mike Tyson the way that he stormed across the ring to attack to begin the rounds.

Since the fight was relatively close, the judges didn't want to admit Joe lost, but they didn't want him to progress in this sad state either. A draw was the best decision to coax him into permanent retirement.
Yeah Smokin Joe just did t have it anymore. Even though the fight was stopped his last "Shinning Hour" was the Thrilla in Manilla.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Bert Sugar
Jumbo is currently serving a life in prison sentence.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

It's weird to see Smokin Joe weighing in at almost 230 pounds. He was still slinging those left hooks though. Nothing could stop that from happening.

Bert Sugar wrote
Jumbo is currently serving a life in prison sentence.
And ya know what? He's suing ESPN for showing the fight. What kind of nonsense does that make? Check out it out on boxrec.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Joe_Frazier_vs._Floyd_Cummings

Here is another article about the fight. Joe told Jumbo that he will "beat you like you're one of my boys." LOL.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0s8hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vp4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1595%2C559997

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Rosco
If only Joe had been younger. Jumbo wouldn't have lasted five rounds.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Rosco wrote
If only Joe had been younger. Jumbo wouldn't have lasted five rounds.
Agreed. Joe still put up a gutsy performance though. He never lost that killer instinct.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

 I love how every time Frazier launched his left hook, the crowd erupted in cheers. lol.
One of life's joys is watching Joe Frazier plant that powerful left hook on another man's jaw. I love to watch them crumble to the canvas.

Jumbo Cummings was one of the first boxers to lift a lot of weights. It shows in his physique. But he didn't have any kind of punching power.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

BAD INTENTIONS
Jumbo was jacked up but couldn't really fight.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Alexander
I'm watching now. Such a sad affair. I admire Joe's courage. He's really trying. But the smoke is gone. That left hook just didn't have any bite to it anymore.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Brooklyn's Finest
Do you blame them? I saw this fight on television that year and stopped paying attention after the 4th round. This wasn't the smoke.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Friday The 13th...
What does it say about Jumbo that he couldn't destroy/finish off a thoroughly shot Joe Frazier?

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

Why did he even come back for this fight? Was he that desperate for money?

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings

It's Dale wrote
Why did he even come back for this fight? Was he that desperate for money?
Joe had the real heart of a warrior. He loved to fight. He almost came out of retirement a few years earlier to fight Earnie Shavers. He loved the thrill of combat. It wasn't for the money - Joe just loved the thrill of knocking bigger guys on their a$$ses.

He said this in his autobiography.

Re: Joe Frazier's fight with Jumbo Cummings