Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Left Hook From Hell...
We have threads about Marciano, Tyson, and Louis against the Klitshchkos. What about the smoke? Is Joe too small or does he beat them up and destroy them the way he did almost everyone else?

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Zorro
I'm a big fan of Joe Frazier. One of the hardest punchers I've ever seen. But he's too small and vulnerable for the Klitschkos. It's his chin, man. Otherwise he could pressure them and do well. They're just too big and strong.

Really? What about when Joe leaps off the mat and lands that left hook on the chin? What about the body punches he would land?

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Really? What about when Joe leaps off the mat and lands that left hook on the chin? What about the body punches he would land?
I don't think it would last long enough for Joe to create dents with the body blows. The Klitschkos can really crack.

This aint a knock on Joe, who was one of the greatest ever. Its just a bad styles matchup for him.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

This aint a knock on Joe, who was one of the greatest ever. Its just a bad styles matchup for him.
That's what it comes down to. I'm more comfortable picking Tyson or Louis to beat the Klitschkos because they have more weapons in their arsenal and better defense than Frazier. Frazier was essentially a one-armed fighter who generally lost the early rounds and gained steam the longer the fight went. Before Joe starts "smokin" against either Klitschko he'd probably be knocked out. Because of their long reach they could hit him safely from the distance. Joe has to get close to have a chance at landing and to get close he has to take some punishing outside punishment from the Klitschkos. Bad matchup.

Because he could be more daring I'd say Vitali stops Joe around three. Wladimir wins in 5, just around the time Joe is about to find his rhythm.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Evan Fields
Joe's slow start would bring his demise in this fight.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Hit Em' Hard
Joe wins. The Klitschkos can punch but all they throw are jabs and straight rights. Wlad will throw a big left hook on rare occasions. Joe would stay low and keep the pressure on them. Look also at how uncomfortable Ruslan Chagaev made Wlad when they fought. Wlad won but was uncomfortable the whole fight because Ruslan kept backing him up. Frazier and Tyson would have done it so much better.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

George Jefferson
Hit Em' Hard wrote
Joe wins. The Klitschkos can punch but all they throw are jabs and straight rights. Wlad will throw a big left hook on rare occasions. Joe would stay low and keep the pressure on them. Look also at how uncomfortable Ruslan Chagaev made Wlad when they fought. Wlad won but was uncomfortable the whole fight because Ruslan kept backing him up. Frazier and Tyson would have done it so much better.
It's a stretch because Joe would certainly take his share of punishment coming in. A good boxer can take Vitali apart. It would be much harder for a short slugger because Vitali can tie him up and score from long range. "Getting In" is the biggest challenge for Joe. He might well pay a price. Vitali never fought no one who crouches low like Joe did. He was bigger than Ali, lacked his speed but hit noticably harder. Joe's hook was tremendous but Vitali had a chin of granite. One thing's for sure. Joe would never let up and never stop attacking. He either destroys Vitali or gets destroyed himself trying. Wlad didn't really have killer instinct and might cruise to a safe decision win.

Pound for pound Joe is the better fighter but 7 inches and 50 lbs is like from a different division. This is one of those rare examples when I feel that the greater fighter is just too small.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Now it is exaggerated that Frazier was a 1 armed fighter,
No it ain't. He depended on his left way too much. He only used the right for body shots and parrying. Other than that he was all left hook. Even most of his combinations were left hook heavy, double and triple left hooks. Even when he used the right hand, the left was the finishing blow.

All Klitschko has to do is keep the jab in his face and circle away from Joe's left. Easy night.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Yes he was quite left-heavy & it was the finishing blow.
That is not the same as being a one armed fighter, where one arm is rarely used.
Come on man. You know what I meant. This is why folks get frustrated talking to you. I don't mean literally.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

There is no need to get frustrated Rosco.
Yeah there is. You take the smallest things and amplify them. Its even more frustrating because I went out of my way to defend you when your butt was against the wall recently.

Look, if you were fighting Frazier, what would you watch out for? The left hook, right? Has Frazier knocked out anyone with the right? Hell has he ever even scored a knockdown with the right? No. The left hook is his only power punch. Yes, he used the right for body shots and uppercuts but these were merely to set up what punch? The left hook. That's what I mean by a one-armed banger. He was not literally a one-armed fighter. I didn't mean that at all.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Rosco wrote
All Klitschko has to do is keep the jab in his face and circle away from Joe's left. Easy night.
Basically. The left is the only threat. Reminds me of Jim Braddock steering clear of Max Baer's treacherous right hand.

But the problem is that Joe always finds a way to land that left. When you fight Joe you know the left hook is gonna knock you out but there's nothing you can do about it. He could launch it from any position. He slung it like a whip.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Urban Legend
"One armed fighter" basically means they use one arm to get the important work done. In Frazier's case this applies, although we're not talking literally, of course. The left hook was the only dangerous weapon in his arsenal. That and swarming pressure.

I like Frazier's chances here more than most of you. He's the underdog because of his size but he did have great headmovement and if he gets dropped, he'll get back up again. The K-brothers don't have the vicious killer instinct or uppercut of Foreman to get the fight stopped in their favor. I say Joe overcomes an early knockdown and breaks them down and wins by late KO or decision, especially in a 15 rounder.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

Joe said himself in his book that he relied on the left hook too much. He agreed with critics who said he was a one-armed fighter.

Re: Joe Frazier versus the Klitschkos

on most every other forum, these tiny differences are not seen as problems.
Then perhaps you need to post on another forum then. You took one minor statement very literally and turned the thread into a different topic. Rosco did not mean Frazier literally used one arm. Geez. Duggerman says that Joe Frazier himself AGREES that he was a one armed fighter. But you'd argue against it anyway just like how you argued against Joe Louis outright admitting that he was past his peak in `41. You like to argue based on the smallest detail even when the very people involved say otherwise.

You trip me out man. You take a small comment about Frazier fighting with one arm literally yet you fail to notice how to read a scan. I'm no genius and won't pretend to know all the useless bullshit you acknowledge,  but even I saw that to read the damn scan, all you have to do is click and scroll right. You pay attention to the smallest detail and challenge them but you lack common sense.

If someone painted a picture of a man taking a shit on the toilet you probably wouldn't notice he was taking a shit, but you'd notice a tiny piece of dandruff in his hair and examine it endlessly.
123