Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Urban Legend
How long does it take Joe to dismantle "Iron Mike?" I think Joe gets him out of there by round 6 or 7.
A'ight. Who Takes It?

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Zorro
 I do think Mike Tyson was great as a teenage phenonmenon but Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time in my opinion. Joe Louis would knock out Mike Tyson but even at his peak Mike Tyson would lean to the left before throwing the hook. Joe Louis would anticipate this weakness and counter with thunder. He also had an explosive jab, quicker than anyone TYson ever faced and accurate.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson was too quick and explosive for Joe Louis. The Brown Bomber never shared the ring with a sensational knockout artist like the young Mike Tyson. Louis hated swarmers, and Tyson would stay in Louis' face and overwhelm him with pressure and punishing blows. Louis wouldn't know what hit him. Tyson KO 2, possibly 1.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Shane

I could see either scenario happening but Joe couldn't fight backwards. Tyson would force him back and throw some real leather. But it's dangerous for Mike as well because he would walk right into Joe's firing zone. Either way, someone is getting knocked out. Mike Tyson was great in his day but never fought someone with heart, skill and courage like The Brown Bomber. Other than his lazy showing in the first battle with Max Schmeling, prime Joe Louis always found a way to win. He kept his power in the late rounds, too. I can't say either thing about prime Tyson. Close call but if you put a gun to my head and told me to make a pick I would say Joe Louis. He had more skills than Tyson and could alternate between outboxing, brawling, or countering. Mike Tyson only had one way to fight, and that's forward.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

even at his peak Mike Tyson would lean to the left before throwing the hook. Joe Louis would anticipate this weakness and counter with thunder.
Add to this that Joe Louis would need to bring the fight to Mike and fight forward. He wouldn't be able to fight on the defensive against Mike Tyson. Joe would have to go right to Mike the way he did Max Schmeling and put him right on the backfoot. Whoever forces the action here is going to win. If Mike cuts the ring and gets close to Joe, then it's quick knockout for Mike. If Louis keeps Tyson going backwards and overwhelms him, he will discourage Mike and eventually stop him.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Shane
^^This is a great post. Glad to have you here.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Joe Louis was floored by Max Schmeling, Jersey Joe Walcott, Jimmy Braddock, Buddy Baer and several other fighters who didn't have power on the level of Kid Dynamite. If he got hurt several times by a 195 pound man like Joe Walcott, I know Mike Tyson would murder him. Quickly. There's a chance Joe wins too, but Tyson would land the big bombs first and overwhelm Louis with pressure.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Urban Legend
'Tis would be a good fight but Joe Louis takes it. Some of you have said that if Mike gets on the inside he would work Joe over but it wouldn't work that way because.......(drum roll, please) Mike Tyson was not a good inside fighter.  Mike Tyson would lose to Joe Louis the same way he'd lose to Joe Frazier. Mike was good at getting inside but not fighting inside. There's a difference. It's really hard to say who had faster hands in close but it really doesn't matter because Joe Louis would be throwing more leather than Mike.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Louis' chin is the key to this fight. He was vulnerable early on, which puts him at a supreme disadvantage because Mike Tyson is the most dangerous early in the fight.

I saw Louis suffer early knockdowns from Jim Braddock, Buddy Baer, and Joe Walcott, none of whom had power on the level of Iron Mike. (Walcott and Braddock weighed less than 200 pounds). I saw Louis stunned and hurt by Tommy Farr, Max Schmeling and Tony Galento as well. With the exception of Galento, none of these man can bang the way young Tyson could.

Don't forget that Louis hated pressure which is what Tyson would do. He'd get right in Louis' face and unload fierce combinations. Louis never fought a machine like Iron Mike. The closest he came to fighting Mike Tyson was his 1951 fight with Rocky Marciano. Though Marciano and Tyson shared a similar style, Tyson was better than Marciano in each category.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Don't forget that Louis hated pressure which is what Tyson would do.
Joe hated pressure but that doesn't mean he couldn't overcome it. Mike Tyson would be a big threat to Joe but I think his jab and uppercut would make life difficult for Tyson. Once Mike slows down a bit, Joe would unleash the combinations and take him out. I could envision a knockout win for Tyson too. But I think if they fought three times Joe would win twice.

I have to agree with this. I don't want to underrate Joe Louis because he was one of the very best but Mike's defense was top notch. He was hard to hit. Flat footed Louis would be forced back and punished everytime he missed a punch. I don't think this one would last too long.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Add to this that Joe Louis would need to bring the fight to Mike and fight forward. He wouldn't be able to fight on the defensive against Mike Tyson. Joe would have to go right to Mike the way he did Max Schmeling and put him right on the backfoot. Whoever forces the action here is going to win. If Mike cuts the ring and gets close to Joe, then it's quick knockout for Mike. If Louis keeps Tyson going backwards and overwhelms him, he will discourage Mike and eventually stop him.
I envision the Joe Louis that stopped Max Schmeling stopping the Mike Tyson that KO'd Michael Spinks. Joe would probably lead with the jab and then unload some fierce combinations in rapid fashion. This is definitely a pick em' fight and I agree that Tyson had the speed and the punch to hurt Louis bad but I think Louis gets there first by forcing Tyson backward and letting loose with thunder.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Redemption wrote
 I would say Joe Louis. He had more skills than Tyson and could alternate between outboxing, brawling, or countering. Mike Tyson only had one way to fight, and that's forward.
Thats a great point as well and could decide the fight. The only reason why Ike Ibeabuchi was given the nod over David Tua is because Ike could do more things--jab, move, box, brawl, everything. The fight was close but Ike impressed the judges by boxing one minute and slugging the next. Evander Holyfield did the same when he fought Mike. He kept alternating and Tyson only fights forward and can't adjust. Joe Louis was an all around better technician than both Evander and Ike. Have you noticed that it always works out this way when a boxer-puncher fights a swarmer? That's part of why Vitali Klitschko is having so much success right now. He can outbox you or brawl with you..sometimes all at once. Joe's talent wins him this fight.
Don

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Don
Mike Tyson would put a hurting on the legend that is Joe Louis. He knocks him out before round 4.
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

BAD INTENTIONS
Mike's punch was too hard for Louis. Louis would easily dominate any version of Mike after Kevin Rooney. No doubt about that. Tyson stopped jabbing his way in, moving his head and neglecting the body after Rooney left. Louis beats that version of Mike but if we're talking prime versus prime, head to head, then Tyson knocks out Joe Louis. Maybe not early because Louis could take a punch and recovered fast, but Tyson stops him before round 9 at the very least.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
 Tyson knocks out Joe Louis. Maybe not early because Louis could take a punch and recovered fast, but Tyson stops him before round 9 at the very least.
No disrespect to Mr. Louis, but no way he makes it that long against Mike. All Mike has to do is slip that Louis jab to get inside and it's over. Louis wouldn't know what hit em'.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

BAD INTENTIONS
^^Louis might last longer than you think. He ate big bombs from Rocky Marciano for 8 rounds before he was KO'd. Max Schmeling didn't knock Louis out until he landed the 72nd right hand to his jaw. Tony Galento hit Louis with left hook bombs that would have KO'd most other heavyweights. Louis also took shots from Max Baer, a murderous puncher. Literally. I think Frazier and Tyson would knock out Louis but it wouldn't be a 1 round blowout...they'd have to wear him down and hit him repeatedly.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Rosco wrote
Duggerman wrote
Don't forget that Louis hated pressure which is what Tyson would do.
Joe hated pressure but that doesn't mean he couldn't overcome it. Mike Tyson would be a big threat to Joe but I think his jab and uppercut would make life difficult for Tyson. Once Mike slows down a bit, Joe would unleash the combinations and take him out. I could envision a knockout win for Tyson too. But I think if they fought three times Joe would win twice.
I'm sure Louis didn't like being crowded but the majority of men who tried to crowd him caught a vicious beating for their efforts. Being aggressive and giving opportunities for Louis's pin-point accurate counters wasn't exactly the way to beat the man. Not to mention that Tyson isn't much of an inside fighter himself, this would be fought at mid-range with both men exchanging power shots, while at the same time wary of each others' power.

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Bugs
even at his peak Mike Tyson would lean to the left before throwing the hook. Joe Louis would anticipate this weakness and counter with thunder. He also had an explosive jab, quicker than anyone TYson ever faced and accurate.
As the Duggerman said in another thread, prime Tyson was losing to Pinklon Thomas. All Pinklon was doing was timing Tyson's head movements and jabbing accordingly. Joe Louis would do the same; he was so much better than Pinklon Thomas. And as you say, Tyson leaned to his left before hooking. Joe Louis was drilled to operate on mistakes like that.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Joe Louis Vs. Mike Tyson

Malik Wright
Puh-leeze, rookie. Mike Tyson would beat the dog shit out of that Jackie Wilson looking muh-fucka. Tyson KO in round 1.