Joe Louis in the 90s

Zorro
I think he would clean out the division. I'd like to see him get in there with old George Foreman, Razor Ruddock, Tommy Morrison, Bert Cooper, Ray Mercer, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, post-prison Mike Tyson, David Tua, Riddick Bowe, Andrew Golota, Ike Ibeabuchi, Chris Bryd and a lot of the other 90s crop. Honestly I think a prime and focused Joe Louis would slay each of them.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

 Honestly I think a prime and focused Joe Louis would slay each of them.
No he wouldn't.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Joe Louis would not dominate in the 90s. He was a talented fighter but the guys in the 90s were too strong, imo.

For example, Ray Mercer was careless and crude but he hit like a truck and constantly swarmed you. Louis didn't like pressure. It's possible Mercer knocks him out.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Shane
Something tells me Joe would have been problems in this era. Joe would barely be a heavyweight if he fought in the 90s. He was around 205 pounds in his prime and 213 after the war. When he came back to the ring after World War II, he was bulky and it didn't help his cause. But he would have to bulk up a bit to be a heavyweight in the 90s. We saw how the extra weight slowed him down and weakened him in his later bouts, especially against Walcott, Charles and Marciano. This slow version of Louis would get taken out by Mercer, Tua, Lewis and others, but his technical skill and power would enable him to knock out guys like Tommy Morrison or Shannon Briggs.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

BAD INTENTIONS
Redemption wrote
Something tells me Joe would have been problems in this era. Joe would barely be a heavyweight if he fought in the 90s. He was around 205 pounds in his prime and 213 after the war. When he came back to the ring after World War II, he was bulky and it didn't help his cause. But he would have to bulk up a bit to be a heavyweight in the 90s. We saw how the extra weight slowed him down and weakened him in his later bouts, especially against Walcott, Charles and Marciano. This slow version of Louis would get taken out by Mercer, Tua, Lewis and others, but his technical skill and power would enable him to knock out guys like Tommy Morrison or Shannon Briggs.
There you go. Joe wouldn't make it at his prime fighting weight. He'd have to get bigger, and getting bigger would slow those quick hands and reflexes down. Same thing with Floyd Patterson. If he had fought at a bigger weight would he be as fast and effective? I doubt it.

Saying that Joe Louis would slay all of them is a stretch. This was a generation with prime Holyfield, Lewis, Tua, Mercer, Bowe, Golota, Briggs, Moorer, Morrison, Ruddock and others. Joe had the talent to beat them yes. But does he have the chin to hang with these big punchers? I don't think so...

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Zorro
Joe Louis is the greatest fighter of all time. He conquered boxers of different styles and dealt with them accordingly. I'm sure I'm the oldest person here and I've watched every era of boxing from Ali-Frazier in the 60s to the current crop. Joe Louis would beat each of them and I don't have a problem explaining how.

Tommy Morrison was crude and overanxious. He is open for counters and vulnerable to cuts and big punchers. Joe would knock out Morrison easily. Knockout or TKO. You take your pick

Razor Ruddock? The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Riddick Bowe only looked good in one fight and that was the first fight against Evander Holyfield and he only looked good because Evander fooled himself into thinking he could trade with him. Joe Louis, unlike Holyfield, had the speed, punch, and technical skills to outwork Riddick and knock him out.

David Tua? He'd freeze the second Joe hit him in the body. Tua may go the distance but he'd get beat to a pulp for sure.

Ray Mercer was outboxed by OLD as dirt Larry Holmes. Prime Joe Louis had 10 times the skill of Larry and three times his power and speed. Joe would beat Ray by outboxing or slugging. Whatever he chooses really.

Post prison Mike Tyson might give Joe trouble early on because he still worked the body and threw uppercuts at this time. It wouldn't surprise me if he put Joe on the canvas early. But Joe would weather the storm and take control. He had stamina and heart,,,something Mike didnt have in the 90s. Mike gets KO'd late.

Lennox Lewis would give Joe trouble because of his height and reach but all Joe Louis needs is that one punch on the chin. Lennox could also be slowed down with body punches (see the rematch with Holyfield or the Mercer fight) and Joe was a dynamite combination puncher to the body. Good night Lennox.

Evander Holyfield might be the only one to beat Joe Louis if he stuck to his strategy. We saw that Joe Louis had trouble with stick and move guys. If Evander kept moving and never set himself he could get a decision over Joe Louis, maybe even a knockout because Evander was a superb counterpuncher. but knowing Evander he would want to make a brawl out of it, and that would get him crushed by Joe Louis who was faster and punched harder.

Andrew Golota? Joe would win by knockout or by disqualification.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Sure buddy. Joe Louis, who was damn near knocked out by Tony Galento, Max Schmeling, Jersey Joe Walcott, Jimmy Braddock, Buddy Baer and others. He'd be a shoe in to beat even more dangerous punchers like David Tua, Ray Mercer, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson and all those others. OK. I understand now.

Watch his slow ass get snuffed by Joe Walcott.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

49-0
Just because the boxers of the 90s were bigger doesn't mean they were better. Besides, Joe's chin wouldn't be a problem. He was dropped a lot but recovered quick and knocked you out. I can see Joe knocking out Tommy Morrison, Shannon Briggs, Razor Ruddock, 90s Mike Tyson and lots of others from that era. With his fast hands and power he's a nightmare for each of them stylistically.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Joe Louis is the greatest fighter of all time. He conquered boxers of different styles and dealt with them accordingly. I'm sure I'm the oldest person here and I've watched every era of boxing from Ali-Frazier in the 60s to the current crop. Joe Louis would beat each of them and I don't have a problem explaining how.
I agree with Zorro. Can any sane person picture the old George Foreman of the 90s or Michael Moorer beating prime Joe Louis? No sir. Bert Cooper and Ray Mercer are also getting stopped. The version of Mike Tyson in the 90s would come crotching at Louis and get straightened out with uppercuts and hooks on the inside. He didn't have the stamina to last with Joe Louis. Don't get me wrong. Some of these guys would give Joe Louis uncomfortable fights but he would win most of them if not all.

Zorro wrote
Andrew Golota? Joe would win by knockout or by disqualification.
lol. Damn right.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
Watch his slow ass get snuffed by Joe Walcott.

Do you mean slow as in plodding footwork or mentally retarded?

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

The Gr8 One wrote
Do you mean slow as in plodding footwork or mentally retarded?
Joe Louis was a bit on the slow side. He wasn't dumb or anything but you could tell it took him a minute to process information. However he followed directions superbly. In the ring, Chappie was the brains and Joe was the brawn. Together they were unstoppable unless Joe lost focus. (Which only happened one time.)

I can only imagine what was going through Louis' mind when he got knocked down by Walcott. You know how deadpan his voice was. "Hey. What. Is. He. Doing? He. Hit. Me. I'm Down. Damn."
Don

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Don
Brother Louis would not do so good in the nineties. Putting him in the ring with brother Tyson or even Holyfield would be too much. Mike Tyson? Too much power and speed for Louis, and he'd pressure him backward,,,something brother Louis hated. Evander Holyfield had the footwork to keep Louis from landing big combinations and he was good at timing counters. He would time the right hand to fuck up Louis even better than Walcott did. Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe would give Louis good fights but I think he might beat them. David Tua and Ray Mercer were just too strong and powerful for Louis,,they were not careless like Tony Galento. Louis would beat Tommy Morrison and Razor Ruddock, however..
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

A fight between Joe Louis and Evander Holyfield would have been awesome. Holyfield has the tools to give Louis trouble; he's a big strong guy with good mobility, a solid chin and strong counters. He's better than Joe Walcott was. However, knowing Evander, he'd get brave and decide to trade, and that's when Louis knocks him out.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Zombies Ate Me
When Joe bulked up after WW2 he lost a lot of speed and quickness. Watch his fights with Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles and Rocky Marciano. If he had the quickness of his lighter weight, he would have gotten to each of them much easier.

For Joe to thrive in this era of heavyweights he would need to bulk up bigtime and we saw what it did to his style when he did that in the 50s. He couldn't let loose with those explosive combinations and counters anymore. I picture this version of Joe Louis having only moderate success in the 90s. He'd pick up a title or two maybe, but Lewis and Holyfield would still rule the era.
Don

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Don
I think he would clean out the division. I'd like to see him get in there with old George Foreman, Razor Ruddock, Tommy Morrison, Bert Cooper, Ray Mercer, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, post-prison Mike Tyson, David Tua, Riddick Bowe, Andrew Golota, Ike Ibeabuchi, Chris Bryd and a lot of the other 90s crop. Honestly I think a prime and focused Joe Louis would slay each of them.
I know Louis got ko'd by a a light heavy (Max Schmeling) and lost most of the fight to a 167lb Conn. He's also quite easy to hit with right hands, he had slowing plodding footwork, knocked down more than most HW champs, fought in a generally weak era, which is why he has more KOs. He's a great heavyweight, a great puncher but a flawed one. Brother Louis did a lot for America in his era but fighting in the 90s would not do anything good to his brain cells or handsome face.
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Urban Legend
I think Byrd has a noteworthy chance of squeaking an upset points win over Louis, especially in an era of 12 rounders. Just a styles thing. However, I like his chances versus Bowe, Holy, and pre-Steward Lewis.

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

the boston strong boy
he would of slayed lennox lewis i think

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

Joe Louis would not dominate in the 90s. He was a talented fighter but the guys in the 90s were too strong, imo.

For example, Ray Mercer was careless and crude but he hit like a truck and constantly swarmed you. Louis didn't like pressure. It's possible Mercer knocks him out.
Possibly but highly unlikely. Ray was strong as a bull but dumb and prone to be outboxed. Holmes fight anyone?

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

MAGUIRE
Ray Mercer was careless and crude but he hit like a truck and constantly swarmed you. Louis didn't like pressure. It's possible Mercer knocks him out.
I can't help but disagree. Ray Mercer would be eaten alive by someone like Louis. Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes had a field day taking Mercer apart - you don't think Louis would have an easy time with him also??
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Joe Louis in the 90s

MAGUIRE wrote
I can't help but disagree. Ray Mercer would be eaten alive by someone like Louis. Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes had a field day taking Mercer apart - you don't think Louis would have an easy time with him also??
You have a point, though I never said Mercer would win - just that it's possible he could knock Louis out.

With his superior skill Louis would have a ball beating up Ray Mercer. But it's possible that the aggressive Mercer who fought Lewis in '96 could put Louis on the floor at least once, though Louis would knock him out. Yes, I think Louis would win by late TKO and he might put Mercer on the floor too at some point. It would be an exciting fight but Louis would finish things when Mercer takes a round off or tires late in the fight.

All Louis has to do is jab and counter Mercer until he sees the perfect opening to finish him. A lazy predictable fighter like Mercer is made to order for Louis, but Mercer is a threat to anyone.
12