Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Rosco
Joe Louis 2 Pictures, Images and Photos

Foreman Pictures, Images and Photos

Prime versus prime. Who takes it? I know Joe Louis was great but was he ever hit by someone that could punch as hard as George? Would he recover?
Take yo pic

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson
Foreman would blast Louis outta there within a round or two.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Rosco
George Jefferson wrote
Foreman would blast Louis outta there within a round or two.
You really think it'd be that easy?

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson
I do. George was too big. Too powerful for Joe. Joe was able to outbox and knock out Max Baer and Abe Simon but they weren't as phenonmeonal as prime Foreman. Joe Louis would also stand in front of George, a'la Frazier. Not good. George would clobber the Brown Bomber.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Joe Louis has too much in his arsenal for Foreman to deal with. Granted, a Foreman victory shouldn't be considered an upset.

Louis had the jab to disrupt Foreman's rhythm. Louis was also a superb counter-puncher. He'd punish Foreman for missing with those looping haymakers. His speed and explosive attack would get it done. Foreman was dropped by right hands numerous times in the 70s, and Louis had a much better right hand than Ali, Young and Lyle.

Foreman had the strength and power to hurt Louis but Louis would land the big guns first. I can see him countering and knocking out Foreman the way he did Max Baer, who had power on the level of Foreman and a similar brawling style. Louis by KO in maybe 6.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson
Both men were knockout artists that finished you when you were hurt. But if there's one thing I know in this life for sure, it's that you don't stand in front of George Foreman and expect to live.

To beat Foreman, you need speed. Either the speed to land your knockout first, or the speed of foot to keep out of his murderous reach.

Louis might have success by boxing George momentarily but when he gets caught with an uppercut, he'd be hurt and open for the finishing haymaker.

 Photobucket

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson wrote
To beat Foreman, you need speed. Either the speed to land your knockout first, or the speed of foot to keep out of his murderous reach.
And that's precisely what Louis had...the speed to unleash a devastating attack. Louis would dodge Foreman's slow jab and haymakers and then crush him with a beautiful combination of hooks and uppercuts. I said in the Tyson v. Foreman thread that Tyson would get close and then crack Foreman. Louis wouldn't have to get as close because he had longer reach than Tyson. He could stand a relative safe distance from Foreman and get the job done, or murder him up close.

Foreman could certainly hurt The Brown Bomber but Louis recovered really quickly. Tony Galento and Max Baer had punching power on the level of George Foreman, but Louis withstood it and knocked them both out. No difference here.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Foreman could certainly hurt The Brown Bomber but Louis recovered really quickly. Tony Galento and Max Baer had punching power on the level of George Foreman, but Louis withstood it and knocked them both out. No difference here.
I had forgotten Joe got hit by those guys. Its amazing that he stayed on his feet versus Baer. I was hesitant but I'm gonna vote Joe Louis. I think he had the chin to survive Foreman (at least for a while) and he'd pulverize him with lightning combinations, I reckon.

Don

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Don
Joe Louis was a pioneer but I bet on George.
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Don wrote
Joe Louis was a pioneer but I bet on George.
I wouldn't. Just because you promoted him doesn't guarantee a win. Then again, you are Don King.

But anyway, George used that awkward armadillo defense that Archie Moore taught him. Louis would hit him hard in the body and when George drops his hands, he's open for the hooks and uppercuts to the chin. It would be beautiful.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Zorro
Joe Louis was a technician. He was powerful, quick and precise. George wouldn't be able to jab with him or trade with him. This fight ends with George laying on the canvas in a daze.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson
George was a bully. He'd push Joe across the ring. I also think he'd clobber him as he moves his way in. The correct ending here is Joe Louis laying on the ground unconcious and bleeding from the nose and mouth. No disrespect to Joe Louis but George would be too monstrous.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Maybe Louis would win, I could certainly see that outcome too.  But I must object to short changing Foreman: he was not down "numerous" times due to right hands.  Plus the question is in their primes.  George was not in any of those fights you mentioned.  Long lay off when he fought Lyle, who must have hit at least as hard as Galenta or Baer, & down by exhaustion mostly vs. Ali.

Do others feel Galenta & Baer had the power of Foreman?  Possibly, though might be stretch.  Though c'mon, Galenta had less skill, Foreman did have a crip jab, uppercut, some skills.  Baer was closer, had a great overhand right, but not quite the same arsenal for a sustained assault.
George was knocked down once by Ali, once by Young, and twice by Lyle...with a right hand. And even though he had a year long layoff, he was still in his prime years when he fought Lyle. He was in his mid-twenties....prime time. Just a bit insecure since losing to Muhammad Ali.

Max Baer killed men in the ring. He knocked one man's brain loose in his head. Max had power on par with Foreman, so did Galento. Look at their knockouts. They put men to sleep.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

George Jefferson wrote
I do. George was too big. Too powerful for Joe. Joe was able to outbox and knock out Max Baer and Abe Simon but they weren't as phenonmeonal as prime Foreman. Joe Louis would also stand in front of George, a'la Frazier. Not good. George would clobber the Brown Bomber.
Disagree. George shouldn't stand in front of Joe. Joe had lightning quick hands and threw those short hooks and uppercuts that would massacre George. Joe wouldn't squat down in range for uppercuts the way Frazier did, and he wouldn't stand far enough away to get caught with a haymaker.

If George came to Joe and tries to brawl, Louis beats him to the punch every time and knocks him out with a 5-punch barrage in two seconds. If anyone needs to change their strategy here, it's Foreman, not Louis.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Bert Sugar
Louis could parry and counter with the best of em'. With his defensive skills, fast speed and explosive power he'd annihilate George before he could see it coming. Make one mistake against Joe Louis and you'll be knocked out cold. Ask Billy Conn about that.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Kid Dynamite
Yes. Mr. Louis had shorter arms and big power when he threw those short hooks and uppercuts in close range. Louis could outbox George and knock him out whenever he pleased.

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Rosco wrote
Joe Louis 2 Pictures, Images and Photos

Foreman Pictures, Images and Photos

Prime versus prime. Who takes it? I know Joe Louis was great but was he ever hit by someone that could punch as hard as George? Would he recover?
I think George Foreman was made to order for Joe Louis. The only way Foreman stops him is if Louis got careless, which he only did in one fight. (Schmeling 1)

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Malik Wright
George fought like a street fighter, similar to Max Baer. Joe would knock him out after boxing him a few rounds.

Joe KO 7

Re: Joe Louis vs. George Foreman

Disagree. George shouldn't stand in front of Joe. Joe had lightning quick hands and threw those short hooks and uppercuts that would massacre George. Joe wouldn't squat down in range for uppercuts the way Frazier did, and he wouldn't stand far enough away to get caught with a haymaker.

If George came to Joe and tries to brawl, Louis beats him to the punch every time and knocks him out with a 5-punch barrage in two seconds. If anyone needs to change their strategy here, it's Foreman, not Louis.
Louis' pinpoint, lightning punches would do the job up close. George fought like a street fighter. This would be very similar to the Louis fight with Max Baer. Knowing Jack Blackburn, he would instruct Joe to outbox George for a few rounds and then knock him out when he starts to tire in the middle rounds.
12