Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Did he record the interviews with you? Most reporters film the interviews on camera or at least use a voice recorder for accuracy. That's the proof. The only problem is he has it and not you. Still, you have a cell phone with an HD camera. Film a youtube video telling your story. It may go viral and encourage others ripped off by them to do the same. You never know. I'd stay away from golden rule speech too. Just keep it simple and to the point. No unnecessary words, slang or rambling. If you do, people will click off the video much like they stop reading your posts.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Zorro
Hope you got better. Pnemonia is no joke. It almost took my life once.

As we age a common cold can turn into pneumonia which could easily lead to the grave.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Have you heard back from anyone at the magazine, Michael?

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Phantom Punch
I had forgot about this fiasco. It was a setup from the word "go." I think the journalist AND the editor were in the wrong here to take advantage of Mike, who was honest and trusting. The journalist may have twisted some of the facts, or his editor may have. Either way, his editor deserves more blame imo because she let the story run that way. Just terrible. Sorry for ya, Mike.

I'm thinking about going into freelance journalism just to get my name in print. If I get a full time gig that'd be great. But for now journalism remains my backup plan.

Zorro
You went waaaay off topic there. But I'm glad you had a good time.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

He said that I wrote him too many E-mails & that he had to block me!

I said I waited for your responses a reasonable time, & did not write too often.  I have the records.  he had no answer.

Now this trying to stigmatize ME, avoided all specific questions about his lack of Journalistic integrity.  Let alone why I did not get a retraction; at least a correction of indisputably innaccurate &/or falsified information.

But I told him that I wrote him after reasonable times, & not too much, when he did not respond.
He had no answer for this.
I hate to say I told you so, but

Duggerman wrote
He's not going to respond. Waaaay too long a read, and you're trying to scold him like a child. (Not that he doesn't deserve it, however).
I'm not saying your wrong, Michael, because you're not. But I knew how he'd react.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Joe Kingman
It sounds like you made him uncomfortable. You definitely caught him off guard; he did not expect to see you there. He is guilty and likely it is his editor who pressured him to fit their agenda.

Just to warn you; if you come at the editor with a long, long post of ranting information she/he will not pay attention to it. People do not respond well to that, if at all. You should have probably noted that from people's reactions to your long posts here as well as the reporter blocking your emails. He didn't wanna hear it.

If I were you (and I don't know much about these journalism things but its my opinion) I would just call the editor out of the blue. If you email he/she will ignore it. Just call.

Or you could make a youtube video about it or a vlog. This becomes more and more effective every day.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

This is a real shame. They messed up bad, but I doubt they'll suffer any real consequences especially since it was so long ago now.

Writing them emails scolding them won't help. Be as polite as you can be. The first email was fine, I'm sure. If they didn't respond to the first one, that's when you should have went over their heads and threatened some kind of legal action.

It seems some people care more about a good story instead of reporting the truth.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Thanks everyone.  Yes, a shorter note is better-at least to start.  Especially when Harmon likely will try to act like I am nutty, avoiding all responsibility & the facts of what he did.
Calling instead?  Yes, if I can reach them.  Thanks for the suggestion Joe, it is just that many media outlets make  it hard to reach the overseers...

It is a mtter of Principle, not some personal trauma.
Journalism should never massage a story to fit an agenda such as a story line they think makes the best copy, regardless of the facts of the matter & individuals involved.

I could have looked to escalate before, but few would bother when little is at stake.
I will say que pasa later!
Let us know how it goes, bro.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Damita Jo
Malik Wright wrote
Mane. I hate they took the story down. I wanted to see that sh~t. It Sounded entertaining. "Eating rats." smh.
Malik where are you? I miss you...

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Joe Kingman
Administrator
Was it a long email?  Pleeeeease say it wasn't! The shorter and more precise, the better your chances of a response. Short and sweet is key in situations like this.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Re: Journalism Ethics, A Freakin' Freegan Story, & me.

Joe Kingman
Short is not always the only way to go, though it has its virtues.
In this case short is the way to go. You already sent them long emails before, which only strengthens the possibilities that they won't read your new one in full or take it seriously.

I'm just trying to help, but handle it whatever way you see fit. I hope you get results this time.

-Joe Kingman
12345