Ken Norton playing a slave?

It's Dale
I'm disappointed in him for doing this, but maybe there weren't many big roles in Hollywood for African Americans at that time? But anyway, seeing the heavyweight champion of the world playing a slave isn't comfortable to watch.

Re: Ken Norton playing a slave?

George Jefferson
It’s nothing to be sensitive about. Archie Moore played Jim the slave from Huckleberry Finn. That’s unfortunately how Hollywood was back then.

Re: Ken Norton playing a slave?

It's Dale wrote

<center><iframe width="360" height="215" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PKIHRqO9XQ8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>
Yeah this was called Mandingo. Sadly roles like this are prevalent in Hollywood today. Look at how much of a phenomenal actor Denzel Washington is. He could only get Oscats for playing a slave in “Glory” and thug in “Training Day”.

Re: Ken Norton playing a slave?

It's Dale wrote
But anyway, seeing the heavyweight champion of the world playing a slave isn't comfortable to watch.
Yeah. I couldn't imagine Sonny Liston playing such a role.