Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend
Who takes it?

or

How do you see this one ending?

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

George Jefferson
Good one. I go for Norton though. Ultimately I think he is too powerful for Patterson and think he would get through that defence. Maybe a lateish stoppage win for Norton. I think Patterson would probably start well and even get off to an early lead. He'd outbox Norton over the first half of the fight without hurting him, but in the second half, Norton's weight and strength invantage would come in to play. Norton in peak shape could easily outweigh Patterson by more than 25 lbs. As Patterson becomes less and less mobile I could see Norton finishing him off around the 10th round.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend
Patterson has a pretty powerful KO left hook. that was his KO punch. he knocked out a lot of fighters with it, and knocked down a lot of very good fighters with it. Lights out for Norton. Don't forget the explosive speed of Patterson.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Zombies Ate Me
Patterson nearly killed ingemar johanseen with his left hook. he knocked out archie moore with it, and most of his title "soft" title defenses he kayoed people his left hook. he left tommy jackson a bloody mess and out on the canvas from a left hook.
and how bout after he lost the title??? he got better because he got stronger and became more filled out and experienceed, and his chin seemed to get better. he beat up eddie machen, and won a marvelous battle with george chuvalo, then he fought a prime jerry quarry very close and knocked the granite chin quarry down in the first fight from a left but was unlucky to have the fight be a draw. the 2nd fight he was closely outpointed in another debatable fight.
patterson was very unlucky to lose a deciison to jimmy ellis and he knocked ellis down(it was rulkes slip) and broke ellis's nose. butt the fight was in ingemar johansens backyard and the ref who scored the fight had a grudge against floyd for beating ingo. after that, he beat toguh oscar bonavena and knocked ot henry cooper and then outboxed ali through teh first 6 rounds before losing the fight on cuts in the 7th.

id say Ken Norton would probably decision patterson since he was a lot stronger than patterson and always did well against boxers and plus norton had the better chin. but patterson would be no chicken dinner. and he defintely has power and speed to give norton trouble.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

George Jefferson
floyd did not have foreman or liston heavy handed power but he did have a pretty good left hook and KO power which was due to his incredible handspeed.

But Norton had the jab to break his rhythm and stop him in his tracks. Norton was a nightmare for boxer types like Ali, Young, Holmes and I believe he'd be a nightmare for Patterson as well. Patterson wouldn't be able to get close.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend
George Jefferson wrote
floyd did not have foreman or liston heavy handed power but he did have a pretty good left hook and KO power which was due to his incredible handspeed.

But Norton had the jab to break his rhythm and stop him in his tracks. Norton was a nightmare for boxer types like Ali, Young, Holmes and I believe he'd be a nightmare for Patterson as well. Patterson wouldn't be able to get close.
Norton wouldn't last long with Patterson storming in on him. That quick left hook of Patterson would do it.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend wrote
Norton wouldn't last long with Patterson storming in on him. That quick left hook of Patterson would do it.
Yes. Norton didn't do well against punchers. I can't see him surviving against Patterson, who was essentially a lighter version of Mike Tyson.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Evolution
Ken Norton has the style to give Floyd problems but it's inevitable that Floyd would pop the shit out of him at some point and thats when the fight is over. Floyd's speed and attack were unbelievable.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

I just think Patterson had his number. Ken Norton would do better against the fading Patterson of the late 60s, but even then Patterson has a puncher's chance. His left hook was dynamite. Remember when he knocked out Charley Green with a single left hook to the body?

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

It's Dale
You people forget that Ken Norton could hit too. He broke Muhammad Ali's jaw, remember?

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend wrote
Who takes it?

or

Ken Norton. He had the jab to time Floyd coming in and would break his rhythm. I see him outboxing Floyd and knocking him out before round 9.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

the boston strong boy
norton would of given patterson a beating

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Urban Legend wrote
Norton wouldn't last long with Patterson storming in on him. That quick left hook of Patterson would do it.
Yes. Norton didn't do well against punchers. I can't see him surviving against Patterson, who was essentially a lighter version of Mike Tyson.
 If they're both at their absolute peaks, then Floyd wins because of his speed.Norton wouldn't see the knockout coming. Patterson was THAT fast. But I can see Norton outboxing and knocking out Patterson if they clashed in their thirties..

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Evan Fields
Quite honestly if we look at it, Kenny Norton was better than Ingemar Johanson who had three wars with Floyd Patterson and beat him the first time and knocked him down 7 or 8 times. But some of you have made good points about Floyd's speed, which made him an explosive puncher when he landed.

Floyd and Kenny would have a great fight trilogy. Floyd would win one by knockout and Kenny would win the other two.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Shane
Floyd Patterson was not the weakest chin heavyweight as many feel, but rather a very fast, hard hitting fighter that could hurt you to the body and with his leaping left hook, take you out too. Norton was very good against movers like Ali, but hated punchers.

 Floyd would drive him crazy with his bobbing and weaving and quick combination attacks. I see Patterson scoring a UD victory over a long fight where he moves around Norton who has the drag his back foot, Cross armed stance trying to counter the flurries. Its very plausible that Floyd knocks him out too. That gazelle punch was some serious shit.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

the boston strong boy wrote
norton would of given patterson a beating
Why do you say that??? Patterson was much better than Norton all around. Patterson had a weak chin so Norton has a puncher's chance but thats about it. Floyd would be too fast paced a fighter for Norton. Gazelle punch, anyone??

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Sivul
Man I gotta roll with Ken Norton. He had the technical skills and the punch to frustrate and knock out Floyd.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

Diddly Doodily wrote
the boston strong boy wrote
norton would of given patterson a beating
Why do you say that??? Patterson was much better than Norton all around. Patterson had a weak chin so Norton has a puncher's chance but thats about it. Floyd would be too fast paced a fighter for Norton. Gazelle punch, anyone??
Real talk

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

49-0
I voted for Norton because of his technical skill. The timing of his jab was perfect. He'd mess up Floyd's bobbing and weaving rhythm. Surely Eddie Futch would know where Floyd's head would be. The jab of Norton would never let Patterson in the fight. Ken was also much tougher mentally than Patterson. Once Patterson gets frustrated he might slow his pace.

Re: Ken Norton vs. Floyd Patterson

J.C.
Evan Fields wrote
Quite honestly if we look at it, Kenny Norton was better than Ingemar Johanson who had three wars with Floyd Patterson and beat him the first time and knocked him down 7 or 8 times. But some of you have made good points about Floyd's speed, which made him an explosive puncher when he landed.

Floyd and Kenny would have a great fight trilogy. Floyd would win one by knockout and Kenny would win the other two.
I agree with this. Both fighters were chinny (Floyd more so) but Ken was 10 times the technician that Ingemar was especially with veteran trainer Eddie Futch in his corner. As long as Eddie is telling Ken what to do Floyd has no chance. Peekaboo fighters rely on timing and Ken/Futch would not how to exploit this easily. It would still be a great fight. Both guys are sure to land some real bombs.
12