Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

precious
I dont know if this topic has been covered before but here goes. I don't think the Klitschkos have got the respect they deserve, with records of 45-41 KO's Vitali & 59-51 KO's Vlad. Sureley with those figures they at least deserve a mention in top heavyweight lists or at a minimum considered in the top 20. Do we look back like we do in music with rose coloured spectacles? after all Marciano, Louis, Holmes  & Tyson all had the same weak competition arguments thrown at them & its only many years later that they get a more balanced appraisal of their achievments, am I wrong?

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

precious wrote
I dont know if this topic has been covered before but here goes. I don't think the Klitschkos have got the respect they deserve, with records of 45-41 KO's Vitali & 59-51 KO's Vlad. Sureley with those figures they at least deserve a mention in top heavyweight lists or at a minimum considered in the top 20. Do we look back like we do in music with rose coloured spectacles? after all Marciano, Louis, Holmes  & Tyson all had the same weak competition arguments thrown at them & its only many years later that they get a more balanced appraisal of their achievments, am I wrong?
I became a fan of the Klitschkos a few years ago. I do find them boring, but they're good. As far as competition goes, they've got the worst competition out of all the former heavyweight champions. I feel bad for Vitali, who lost the one time he fought an all-time great. (Lennox Lewis) He beat a fading Shannon Briggs, but it's a matter of debate if you consider Briggs a decent fighter or not. Even if so, he was past it versus Vitali. Vitali's early loss to Chris Byrd may hurt his standing a little too.

Wladimir beat an old Ray Mercer (like Shannon Briggs, it's a matter of opinion if you consider Ray decent or not. But regardless he was washed up when he fought Wlad) Wlad beat Chris Byrd and he exposed David Haye for being a sham. But those are the only highlights on the Klitschkos records, imo. It's a shame because they're good fighters.

People say Rocky Marciano had lame competition but at least he knocked out hall-of-famers.

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

Zorro
I agree with the both of you. The brothers are following the technical example started by Lennox Lewis. But Lennox could be an exciting fighter when he chose to be. The Klitschkos almost always put action on the back burner.

They are both probably top 20 heavyweights of all time for sure. Netheir one is top ten. But we don't really know how good they are because their opposition is poor. Like AJ said, Vitali lost to Lennox Lewis, the biggest name on his resume. Wlad hasn't beaten anyone of real significance either. I'd have to see them fight in the 70s or 90s to see just how good they really could be.

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

I'd love to see The Klitschkos fight someone like Sonny Liston or prime George Foreman. I saw Vitali in a dog fight with Lennox, but I've never seen Wladimir pushed to the brink. He avoids brawling at all costs.

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

Kid Dynamite
I agree with the both of you. The brothers are following the technical example started by Lennox Lewis. But Lennox could be an exciting fighter when he chose to be. The Klitschkos almost always put action on the back burner.

They are both probably top 20 heavyweights of all time for sure. Netheir one is top ten. But we don't really know how good they are because their opposition is poor. Like AJ said, Vitali lost to Lennox Lewis, the biggest name on his resume. Wlad hasn't beaten anyone of real significance either. I'd have to see them fight in the 70s or 90s to see just how good they really could be.
Guys like the K-Bros & Lennox Lewis are pretty much super-heavyweights, mammoth guys in size, yet not fat, but athletes. Style wise, box safe, jab jab jab, extremely tight defence, but posses the power to KO at any given time. Huge size & Reach advantage over most too.

The K-Bros get alot of stick for being so dominant in a poor era, but gusy the size of lennox & Klitchko believe me, would be champions in any era which such size, athletisicm & style.

Re: Klitschkos, Underrated, overrated

Sugar Nick
I believe Lennox was lucky to be around at a time where he was always the biggest. I think he greatly benefitted. Like the experts say "Lennox lost once too often (to sub par opposition) to be considered truly great.