Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Larry was really pissed off at Peter Marciano. This was right after he suffered the loss to Michael Spinks. Peter Marciano is also interviewed in this clip. Needless to say, Peter was happy that Larry lost so Rocky's legacy remained intact. But I disagree with him that Larry and Rocky would have been the best of pals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLS-KnHsgk

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Urban Legend
Peter Marciano is the most biased man on the planet. He once even said that he felt his big brother was right next to God. Larry was just telling the truth and to be honest Peter threw the first punch in this war by rooting against him.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Good post. I disagree with Peter saying that Rocky never said anything negative about anyone. Angelo Dundee said numerous times that Rocky was vocal about his dislike for Muhammad Ali before they met on the set of the Computer fight. He said Ali talked too much and things like that. Rocky never blasted anyone publicly the way his brother Peter does, but in private I know he was brutally honest regarding how he felt about Muhammad Ali and his former manager, Al Weil.

Here is one occasion where Dundee says Rocky didn't like Ali at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENDdf30iW_A

I agree with Peter that Rocky was a good guy but he wasn't the saint Peter portrays him to be.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Zombies Ate Me
Peter, your brother's legacy is secure. Let Larry have some spotlight!!! Geezus.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Marciano, Dempsey, Louis - none of them seemed to like Ali.
I dont know if Robinson, Lamotta, Ezzard Charles ever commented on Ali. But if said positive things about Ali, it's probably because they werent biased towards due to the different weight class they participated in.

Ali never talked bad about his successors - Always said good things about Holmes, Tyson, Lewis.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Zorro
Moejoe wrote
Marciano, Dempsey, Louis - none of them seemed to like Ali.
I dont know if Robinson, Lamotta, Ezzard Charles ever commented on Ali. But if said positive things about Ali, it's probably because they werent biased towards due to the different weight class they participated in.

Ali never talked bad about his successors - Always said good things about Holmes, Tyson, Lewis.
Initially they all didn't like him but came around. Duggerman posted some excerpts from Joe Louis' book in another thread where Joe talked about how he disagreed with the NOI concept but came around eventually. Same thing with Rocky Marciano and Dempsey. Good point about Ali never trashing his successors. I hadn't thought of that. The worse thing Ali said to Holmes was, "If you love me, why'd you beat me so bad?" lol.

To get back to Peter, I don't like him. He makes it sound as if his brother could walk right through Sonny Liston and George Foreman and knock them dead easy. He makes it sound like Rocky's crap didn't stink. Duggerman showed me the Computer fight between Ali and Marciano. Most of the experts on there said Ali would beat Marciano and explained why. But Peter said Rocky would beat Ali solely because of his record.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Urban Legend wrote
Peter Marciano is the most biased man on the planet. He once even said that he felt his big brother was right next to God. Larry was just telling the truth and to be honest Peter threw the first punch in this war by rooting against him.
I'm a big Rocky Marciano fan but I back Larry on this,, Larry was never given a fair shake. He was despised for the Ali fight, he endured so much racism during the Cooney fight and now this shit. The fight was close but you know they weren't gonna let him equal Rocky's (aka the white man's) legacy. Larry was bitter and brash but he had the right to be. If the Marciano family (especially Peter) don't want another fighter touching Rocky's legacy, you don't have to be so vocal about it the way they were. You know Peter doesn't give a damn about Michael spinks. but on this one night he was rooting for him and screaming his name the way black folks scream Jesus' name on a sunday morning!

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

I'm going to be the odd man out here, I think it's natural for Peter to stand up for Rocky as I think we all would defend our own siblings in the face of any perceived insult. I think Holmes resented not getting the respect he deserved like Ali or Marciano I'm sure if Ali had have been in Holmes shoes against Michael Spinks with that 49-0 record at stake he would have got the decision. that was the difference

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Hit Em' Hard
I've seen this before. Rocky Marciano's legacy really overshadowed this fight. But, I can't help but wonder how it would have affected Rocky's legacy if Holmes had tied/or surprassed his undefeated record and then retired?

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

GatorPurify
Right on Larry. There's only so much a man can take before he snaps. This was Larry's breaking point, and I feel him. Larry got jerked and he knew it. I know Peter gotta back his brother, but let's give other boxers some credit. Right on Brother Larry!!!

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Maximillian
"When Rocky Marciano was boxing, I wasn't even a thought in my father's penis." Man I forgot how raw Larry could be.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Hit Em' Hard wrote
I've seen this before. Rocky Marciano's legacy really overshadowed this fight. But, I can't help but wonder how it would have affected Rocky's legacy if Holmes had tied/or surprassed his undefeated record and then retired?
Then it would come down to who fought the better competition. Both of their resumes would be put under the microscope. Rocky beat more legends and hall of famers (Louis, Charles, Moore, Walcott) but Larry beat some guys that would have done well in Rocky's era because of their size and power,, like Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney. But to keep it honest even if Larry tied or beat Rocky's record, people would still praise Rocky for...

A) Being white

B) Doing it first

C) Defeating much bigger names

This would come down to a popularity contest and Holmes can't win.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

precious wrote
I'm going to be the odd man out here, I think it's natural for Peter to stand up for Rocky as I think we all would defend our own siblings in the face of any perceived insult. I think Holmes resented not getting the respect he deserved like Ali or Marciano I'm sure if Ali had have been in Holmes shoes against Michael Spinks with that 49-0 record at stake he would have got the decision. that was the difference
Maybe. But racial politics are involved here too. Rocky Marciano was arguably the best white American heavyweight champion we ever had. People are going to do whatever is possible to maintain his record.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

49-0
Larry was always in the midst of racial drama sadly. First in the Gerry Cooney fight and now this. Its not his fault. I think people were also afraid of Larry because he was an outspoken self confident black man. I think even today that if a black heavyweight champion came this close to Rocky's record the same thing would happen, especially if the fight went to a decision.

I think Duggerman said it best when he noted in another thread that Rocky's undefeated record shines brighter and brighter with time. When he was fighting people rated Dempsey, Louis, Johnson and many others much higher than Rocky. Even in the 70s Rocky was low on all time-great lists. By the '90s he was generally in the top 5 suddenly. 49-0 is a magic number in sports.

I'm white. I'm not racist but I know how the system works. Rocky's legend is his record and people will preserve it no matter what the cost. They will make sure a person of color never touches it. I noticed that people root for their own. Rocky Marciano has a huge white following especially among Italians. He's their man. Irish people applauded Jerry Quarry and Gerry Cooney. And African Americans support their own too. I'll never forget all that racist stuff Tyson started saying once he got involved with Don King. Before that he seemed respectful.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Larry was really pissed off at Peter Marciano. This was right after he suffered the loss to Michael Spinks. Peter Marciano is also interviewed in this clip. Needless to say, Peter was happy that Larry lost so Rocky's legacy remained intact. But I disagree with him that Larry and Rocky would have been the best of pals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLS-KnHsgk
When I read the thread title I thought Larry actually "blasted" him as in with a gun!! lol. I was gonna say Larry ain't THAT crazy is he? kmsl.

I watched the video and enjoyed it but I hate the way Larry put down the Marciano brothers.

I’m afraid you’re right. I don’t think Larry will ever get the respect Marciano has, partially because he was so antagonistic during his fighting days.

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

Re: Larry Holmes Blasting Peter Marciano

It's Dale
Larry was so disrespectful here. But I'm glad he has since shown regret and remorse about this. He's not a bad person.