Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

1234 ... 8

Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Zombies Ate Me
Fact: Tyson is probably the greatest finisher in heavyweight history ( possible exception Joe Louis)
Fact: Lewis has a shaky jaw
Fact: Tyson will hurt lewis during this fight.
Fact: Lewis does not have the defense nor the recovery ability to escape.

The only ending to this fight is tyson by knockout. It is as inevitable as the tides.
Who wins in their primes?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

I agree with every point you made. But I have to ask...if zombies ate you, how are you posting here?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

49-0
lol @Duggerman.

At his peak, Mike Tyson would beat Lennox. In their actual fight, Tyson won the first round. Peak Tyson would have been even more ferocious.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Come on, guys. Lennox Lewis did not have a poor chin.

I'm tired of this weak chin nonsense. How do you only suffer two losses and become a 3 time world champ with a "bad chin?"
Anyway, he beat guys like Ray Mercer, David Tua, Lionel Butler and Tommy Morrison, all of whom were Mike Tyson copycats. Lennox knew how to deal with guys like that. He could out-box you from the outside with the jab, (as he did with David Tua) or he could go toe to toe (as he did with Ray Mercer). How could he take bombs from sluggers like these men and have a weak chin? Gimme a break.

Mike Tyson got his stankin' booty spanked by Buster Douglas, who can't be compared to an all time great like Lennox Lewis. Mike Tyson came out hard in the fight with Lennox until he got hit with an uppercut and quit. The same thing would have happened whether he had fought Lennox in 2002, 1992 or 1982. Lennox is too big and too skilled. He has different techniques to win, but Mike Tyson only has one, and that's to fight forward and try to knock you out. Lennox had too much in his arsenal for Midget Tyson. Just watch for yourself.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison, David Tua and Lionel Butler cannot be compared to a peaking Mike Tyson. Kid Dynamite topped each of them in speed, technique, defense, timing, accuracy and power. From 1985-1988, Mike Tyson was a bigger version of Floyd Patterson with Sonny Liston's power and Jack Dempsey's aggression. All Tyson would need is one punch on the chin, or wherever else he decides to hit you. He would stop Lewis early, I reckon.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

The Greatest wrote
Come on, guys. Lennox Lewis did not have a poor chin.
Are you sure?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mike Tyson would have hurt Lennox worse...

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

The Greatest wrote
Mike Tyson came out hard in the fight with Lennox until he got hit with an uppercut and quit. The same thing would have happened whether he had fought Lennox in 2002, 1992 or 1982.

No, sir. Did you see the big uppercut bombs that Tyson took on the chin from Razor Ruddock? Tyson kept coming and bulldozed his way to a decision. He had the heart of a warrior in his younger days.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

I agree that Tyson would win and by knockout, but it would be no cakewalk. Both times Lewis was stopped, it happened when he was unfocused (Rahman) or caught off guard with a counter (McCall). Tyson would probably have to set Lewis up to surprise him. By working the body and unloading fierce combinations, I have no doubt that he'd put Lewis to sleep before round 5. The more punches Tyson throws, the better.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

A lot of people didn't know that Lewis hurt his right hand during his fight with Tyson, which is the reason why he prolonged the knockout. He talks about it at the beginning of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntuna4Qt3Yw

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Urban Legend
Lennox knew how to protect himself well. This one could go either way but I would pick Lennox to win. Lennox would use his height and reach to give Mike problems much more so than Tony Tucker and some of the others.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Lewis was a special fighter who took advantage of his physical gifts, but Mike Tyson was just too explosive. He had the defense to get under Lewis' reach, and the speed and power to put him to sleep at any moment, whether with one earth shattering punch or a combination. Lewis himself admitted that he wanted no part of Tyson back then.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Evolution
I knew Lennox Lewis was going to win in 2002. Mike was looking terrible. He was so past his best as his showings against Brian Neilson and Steve Lott showed. He was winning fights but wasn't even a shell of what he had been in the past. Lennox was the undisputed champion, in his prime, and with the exception of dropping the ball against Hasim Rahman, he was had been on a roll since 1994. Lennox was prepared for everything Mike Tyson may have been prepared to do. Lennox was ready for Mike to foul, bite, cheat, or whatever. Lennox knew how to handle Mike Tyson and was not afraid of him.

If they had fought at Mike Tyson's peak, Lennox Lewis would still beat him. Mike Tyson looked awful against taller men like Tony Tucker, Mitch Green, James Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith and Buster Douglas. Lennox Lewis was miles and miles better than those guys. He had the strength, reach, power, wisdom and gameplan to destroy Mike Tyson even at his best.

For the record I have been hit by the uppercut of Lennox Lewis and I understand why Mike gave up after getting cracked. I don't condone it, but it's a punch that can make any grown man cry.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Here is a blog I wrote last year about the 9-year anniversary of Lewis-Tyson. The fight took place in my hometown. Reading this, you can relive the fight through my eyes.

http://ajdugger.weebly.com/1/post/2011/06/9-year-anniversary-of-lennox-lewis-versus-mike-tyson.html

Brilliantly written, man. Best boxing blog I've read in a long time.

I didn't know Lennox hurt his right hand. He evidently hit Mike with some hard, hard punches to break his hand. Damn. I always thought he was just making sure Mike was out on his feet before lowering the boom. I enjoyed your blog too, Duggerman. Great stuff as usual. When are you coming out with that book?

[...]

Lenny Lewis also had a glass jaw that would shatter when Tyson landed a punch. I do appreciate your insight tho. You fought Lennox and later sparred with him. But I think Mike would wreck him.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Redemption wrote
Duggerman wrote
A lot of people didn't know that Lewis hurt his right hand during his fight with Tyson, which is the reason why he prolonged the knockout. He talks about it at the beginning of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntuna4Qt3Yw
I didn't know Lennox hurt his right hand. He evidently hit Mike with some hard, hard punches to break his hand. Damn. I always thought he was just making sure Mike was out on his feet before lowering the boom. I enjoyed your blog too, Duggerman. Great stuff as usual. When are you coming out with that book?
Man, I gotta get my money together before I publish anything. It's coming someday, though.

Lewis punished Tyson worse than Holyfield and Douglas. He straight-up brutalized the man. When he landed that big uppercut in the first round, I heard the crack. Mike Tyson has a good chin, though. Who else could survive punishment like this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Prime Tyson would have taken those punches and fought back, though.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

The Greatest wrote
It looks to me like Mike should have worked the body instead of trying to dive in with a right hand. He left himself wide open for that uppercut and Lennox capitalized on it. A left hook would have been a better punch to throw because it would land square on Lennox's chin while his hand was down and winding up for the uppercut. Mike should have gotten lessons from Joe Frazier before this fight.

The Greatest wrote
Mike Tyson got his stankin' booty spanked by Buster Douglas
I don't even wanna know how you know what Mike's butt smells like.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

This was the tale of the tape at the time of the fight.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Malik Wright
In his prime Mike Tyson would have knocked out that dreadlock wearing mama's boy.
Malik El Debarge Wright
1234 ... 8