Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Who wins? The relentless Joe Frazier who put Ali on his backside, or the passive aggressive Lennox Lewis who pummeled an aging Mike Tyson?

With all due respect to Frazier, I'd give it to Lewis. Lewis would take advantage of Frazier's slow start and get him outta there quick. Frazier would dash forward in a crouch and get nailed with Lewis' uppercut, and I reckon Lewis would finish him with a right hand in round 2 or 3.
Winner?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Shane
Ok I know Lewis has the power to KO Frazier, but lets be honest if Lewis can be hurt by Mccall, Briggs, Rahman Bruno and Mercer to name a few I have little doubt that Frazier also could hurt him. Frazier is super aggressive and that might cost him here early here but I really don't think so. I think Frazier lands enough wicked left hooks to the head and body in the early exchanges to get the respect of Lennox.. This will cause Lewis to box more on the outside and stay away from the exchanges on the inside and because of that I favor Lewis winning this fight on points but either man could put the others lights out at any point in the fight!!

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Zorro
Two of my favorite fighters. How could you do this to me, Duggerman? lmao.

I understand where you're both coming from. Joe was a slow starter, and Lennox was a fast starter when he needed to be. But Joe's left hook has more than enough power to put Lennox to sleep for a count of ten. It really comes down to Lennox's strategy. If he tried to box safely from the distance the way he did Morrison, Tua and Tyson, then Joe would slowly break him down with body punches. You can't keep Joe Frazier on the outside. Impossible. If Lennox tried to outbox him, Joe knocks him out, probably late. If Lennox came out fast with uppercuts and combinations, then he puts Joe out of his misery before the third round. My heart tells me Joe would win, but my mind says it's all Lennox. But if I'm forced to pick a winner, I go with Lennox.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Lennox Lewis. If he could handle Ray Mercer, he could handle Joe Frazier.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Joe Frazier. And I'm not saying this because he's dead. I'm saying it because it's true. Lennox Lewis had a glass jaw and would get destroyed by Joe's left hook. Unlike David Tua, Joe knew how to set up devastating left hook knockouts. If Lennox tried to outbox Joe, Joe would smother him. If Lennox tries to fight toe to toe with Joe, he's also getting smothered. Joe put on too much pressure and doesn't give Lennox any room to breathe. Lennox barely survived old Mercer and Holyfield, who swarmed him but nowhere near as much as Joe would have. I think Joe ends this fight with a double left hook; one hard one to the ribs followed by another to the head.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

^^Very good post. I still feel that Lewis would have been smart enough to take advantage of Frazier's slow start and get him outta there quickly, but you proved some good points. If Lewis doesn't stop Frazier early, he's gonna succumb to Frazier's relentless pressure and destructive left hook counters. But in my opinion, Lewis ends the fight early with uppercuts before Frazier finds his rhythm.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Evolution
We're talking about two of the very best fighters of all time here. Joe Frazier in his prime was a beast. He didn't care how big you were. He came to hurt you. As cautious and talented as Lennox Lewis is, I think he would be outgunned here. He did alright against Ray Mercer, David Tua and others but Joe Frazier was much better than them. He's on a whole 'nother level.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Urban Legend
When you try to hit Joe with an uppercut this is what happens.

George Foreman held his hands low and Joe was bobbing and weaving right into the uppercuts. Lennox would have to time Joe to land his uppercut. You can't time Joe because he's always ducking and hooking. Lennox would try an uppercut and then find himself lying on his back courtesy of Joe's left hook.

With George Foreman it was purely a styles thing because of the way George positioned his hands. Lennox would have to point downwards or time Joe for an uppercut, leaving him open for big left hooks. Joe Frazier would beat up Lennox and knock him out with a left hook.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

BAD INTENTIONS
I think that this is not real match up, cause Frazier is too small. But if to analyze, one must remember, that Frazier lacked one-punch-KO power and rarely/never KO real big gyus with one punch. Joe works as machine-gun, landing one left-hook after one with accumulative effect. Lewis has great defence against left-hooks by blocking and working by torso and such left-hookers as Ruddock, Tua, Holyfiled, in principle Briggs, Morrison, in principle Butler and others are failed to succes with left-hooks.

In addition, Lewis has one of the most terrific uppercuts of all-time HWs, and all small sluggers and swarmers always pain from such punch. Even Tyson with his great defence always pain from uppercuts, as he coming low. Frazier will take uppercuts and gets back. Thats all, further Joe cant take those punches from Lewis. I think such boxers are made for Lewis. Joe will be nightmare for ALi, Holmes, but not for Lewis. IMO.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Urban Legend wrote
When you try to hit Joe with an uppercut this is what happens.

That's all that needs to be said, really.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

The Greatest wrote
Lennox Lewis. If he could handle Ray Mercer, he could handle Joe Frazier.
You made me think with this statement. Joe Frazier was much better than Ray Mercer. But they had similar power and forced you to brawl, although Frazier was so much better at the style.

Lennox is a boxer-puncher that can fight on the inside when you rush him. Joe has the power to stop Lennox with a left hook but I think Lennox lands the knockout blows first because he could time and catch Joe as he works his way inside, and he has an uppercut that could more than finish the job. I pick Lennox. Where is the poll?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Evan Fields
Joe Frazier by thrilling knockout. Lennox wouldn't be able to defend himself against Joe's double left hook.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Evan Fields wrote
Lennox wouldn't be able to defend himself against Joe's double left hook.
That is a great point.

Let me tell ya sumthin...Lewis took care of all left hookers the same way. He kept his right hand up at his jaw to deflect the left hook. He did this with success against David Tua and Tommy Morrison. David had more success landing his hook on Lewis than Morrison did, but he never caught Lewis flush because Lewis kept his glove up around his face.

Joe Frazier would deflect that strategy by blasting the body first, and when Lewis drops his guard, that's when he would smash Lewis with the hook to the head. Jerry Quarry held his right glove high early on against Frazier, but after taking those body punches, he naturally dropped his guard and was open to those big left hooks to the head that cut up his face and lead to the technical knockout.

I definitely see a scenario where Frazier wins. But it's all up to Lewis. If he does the smart thing and opens the fight dropping bombs on Frazier while he's vulnerable, then he wins by early KO. If he fights cautious the way he did against Tua and Morrison, he's getting stopped between rounds 5-10.

Another Great post by Captain Dugger. But I don't think Lennox ever beats Joe Frazier. Joe is too much of a dog for him. Joe had more than enough power in that left hook to kill Lennox, and Joe was much better at getting inside than overhyped boxers like Morrison, Tua and Mercer, not to mention an over the hill Mike Tyson. Lennox couldn't handle it. It could end at any moment.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Bugs
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
Frazier lacked one-punch-KO power and rarely/never KO real big gyus with one punch. Joe works as machine-gun, landing one left-hook after one with accumulative effect. Lewis has great defence against left-hooks by blocking and working by torso and such left-hookers as Ruddock, Tua, Holyfiled, in principle Briggs, Morrison, in principle Butler and others are failed to succes with left-hooks.
Uh-uh. I hate it when people underrate Joe's power. Joe Frazier was one of the hardest heavyweight punchers of all time. His left hook was like a sledge hammer. It knocked down "The Greatest" Three Times in 1971. (One time the ropes caught him, and another time it was ruled a "slip")

Joe fought guys with great chins, and as a result, some of them had to be beaten up for a few rounds before they were out. He didn't fight the scared pussies Mike Tyson fought who gave up after taking a big punch. Hell, Joe Frazier was the first guy to knock down Dave Zyglewicz!! He was the only guy to stop George Chuvalo!!

Joe might have some problems getting close to Lennox starting out but he wouldn't stop. He'd get close and Lennox would hit the deck once he tastes that left hook. You can't compare Joe Frazier to scared fighters like David Tua or overhyped contenders like Tommy Morrison. Joe Frazier would beat the dog shit out of Lennox. It would end before round 10.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Bert Sugar
The Greatest wrote
Lennox Lewis. If he could handle Ray Mercer, he could handle Joe Frazier.
Some say Lennox should have lost that fight. But your point is valid. Joe Frazier was a superior boxer to Ray Mercer. More pressure, more talent, more knockouts, more determination. And a left hook that could knock a man into the next century. Lennox Lewis was a very good fighter but Joe Frazier is no Mike Tyson or David Tua.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

the boston strong boy
joe frazier tko 5

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

Remember that Joe Frazier is one of my all-time favorites. I even named my dog Joe Frazier. lol. Would be a great fight while it lasted though. But Lennox is too dangerous early on.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

 But Lennox is too dangerous early on.
Lewis wouldn't stop Frazier early. He was a puncher who had most power at range. With Frazier coming onto the inside, bobbing real low, Lewis would not be able to get his trademark punches off. In some cases, height is a big disadvantage, and this is one. Against fighters who stand upright, the man with the better reach and jab has a massive advantage, but with Frazier, Lewis would be forced to throw punches he didn't do.

I'm not sayign Lewis couldn't stop him, but he would have to change his style. Personally, I think instead of going for the KO, he'd land weak jabs all night.

Also, would he get close knowing how good of a body puncher Frazier was? I don't know.

He has two choices in this fight. Risk going for the KO, and fighting the way Frazier wants or opting to take it easy and land jab after jab. The latter, knowing Lewis, is far more likely.

I think Frazier would outpoint him.

Bugs wrote
[...]

Joe's hook was a monster. I think Frazier wins but if Lennox could survive Ray Mercer he might be able to withstand Frazier's left hook. Lennox would certainly be outworked and beaten up.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Smokin' Joe Frazier (1971)

It's Dale wrote
[...]

You're wrong, Dale. Lennox could throw a devastating uppercut with either hand, and it was an inside right hook that knocked out Mike Tyson.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lennox could fight inside pretty well if he needed to, but it's not his best strategy since he doesn't have the best chin. Also, I wouldn't compare Ray Mercer to Joe Frazier. Joe Frazier threw much better combinations than Mercer, had a swifter and more powerful left hook, and a better workrate. Mercer was an animal but he slowed down to catch his breath. (That's what costs him the fight against Lennox, ultimately). Frazier doesn't let up on you. Frazier's left hook could put Lennox to sleep.

But honestly, Frazier is a slow starter and that would cost him against Lennox, who would know just what to do before Frazier starts "smokin."

123