Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

George Jefferson

Lets take a closer look at Lewis. What was his best win? He had very difficult times with anyone who boxed the slightest. He was very good with flat footed guys who couldnt really move well but he was terrible against boxers.
Bruno was no great technician nor was Mercer or Mavrovic and they made him look a bit foolish. Even the over the hill Evander gave him a tough fight and then was schooled by the likes of John Ruiz and Chris Byrd.

Sure he could look great against guys like Briggs, Grant, Golota, Rahman, Morrison but those fighters never proved to be much of anything.

I cant see ranking Lewis high at all he just didnt have the diverse styles on his record and beat the biggest names he faced when they were pretty much finished, including Razor Ruddock.

Tyson, with a similar resume did it more dominately and more consistently than Lewis did. Holyfield beat better fighters flat out.
Is Lennox one of the best of ALL time?

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Evan Fields
I voted no. I don't care how sexy he thinks he looks in dreads. His chin is what keeps him from being an ATG. He got KTFO by ordinary guys not at his level. Yes he avenged them but he should have never been down in the first place. Lennox Lewis was good but with a chin like that, no way does he survive the 70s with prime Foreman, Shavers and other big punchers like Joe Fraizer and Ron Lyle.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

George Jefferson wrote
 Even the over the hill Evander gave him a tough fight and then was schooled by the likes of John Ruiz and Chris Byrd.

Sure he could look great against guys like Briggs, Grant, Golota, Rahman, Morrison but those fighters never proved to be much of anything.

I cant see ranking Lewis high at all he just didnt have the diverse styles on his record and beat the biggest names he faced when they were pretty much finished, including Razor Ruddock.
Exactly. Lennox was pushed around the ring all night by old Evander and never caught his breath in the fight. Prime Evander murders Lennox I'm afraid.

Lennox was a damn good heavyweight and beat some good guys but he only reigned as king because Tyson and Holyfield were past it. And he struggled with both of them in their fights. As far as the Tyson fight goes, had Tyson kept up the intensity he used in the first round, he would have snuffed Lennox.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

George Jefferson wrote
Lets take a closer look at Lewis. What was his best win?
Obviously his biggest win was Mike Tyson, but he beat Razor Ruddock, Frank Bruno, Tommy Morrison, Andrew Golota, Shannon Briggs, Ray Mercer, David Tua and Vitali Klitschko when they were each at their best. Lennox put a bad crimp in each of their reputations when he defeated them.

George Jefferson wrote
He had very difficult times with anyone who boxed the slightest. He was very good with flat footed guys who couldnt really move well but he was terrible against boxers.
Bruno was no great technician nor was Mercer or Mavrovic and they made him look a bit foolish. Even the over the hill Evander gave him a tough fight and then was schooled by the likes of John Ruiz and Chris Byrd.

Sure he could look great against guys like Briggs, Grant, Golota, Rahman, Morrison but those fighters never proved to be much of anything.

I cant see ranking Lewis high at all he just didnt have the diverse styles on his record and beat the biggest names he faced when they were pretty much finished, including Razor Ruddock.

Tyson, with a similar resume did it more dominately and more consistently than Lewis did. Holyfield beat better fighters flat out.

No one outboxed L.L. to win a decision. Holyfield and Tyson are all time greats that came to win, and both put in 1 last hurrah, certainly Holyfield did. Lewis was slowed when he beat both

As for pure boxers, look at Akinwande, a very quick long tall outboxer and Lewis closed the gap and battered him. He was fat and slowed massively against Vitali and still closed the gap to stop his man

As for him beating past prime fighters, was Vitali past prime? Was Tua past prime? Was Rahman? Akinwande? Grant? Briggs? Morrison?

Lewis took on all comers for 10 years beating every man he faced, including the next Ring Champion, that's pretty legendary stuff.

For the record, he did NOT have a weak chin. He was inexperienced and hadn't filled out yet when McCall stopped him. Name 10 other former heavyweight champions that would have survived the big right hand that Hasim Rahman kissed him with. I bet you can't.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Lennox Lewis is absolutely an all time great. Excluding Tyson and Holyfield, the 90s were full of good heavyweights (not great, but threatening enough) and Lewis beat them. After Muhammad Ali and Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis beat the best competition of anybody.

If it wasn't for his chin, Lewis would be ranked at number 1 in my top ten. Why? His resume and the fact that he was so skilled. He could box, counter, brawl, whatever. He could punch with both hands and had a long, sharp shooting jab, huge uppercut and big right hand. Head to head and resume-wise, Lewis should rank really high.

Evan Fields wrote
I voted no. I don't care how sexy he thinks he looks in dreads.
Ha!

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

The Greatest wrote
As for pure boxers, look at Akinwande, a very quick long tall outboxer and Lewis closed the gap and battered him. He was fat and slowed massively against Vitali and still closed the gap to stop his man
Henry Akinwande? Seriously???? Since when is he a pure boxer? He was another of Don King's talentless puppets that was being guided to a championship. All Henry did against Lennox was hold. Mills Lane disqualifed him for it too. Watch the fight again.

The Greatest wrote
For the record, he did NOT have a weak chin.
I disagree.

The Greatest wrote
Name 10 other former heavyweight champions that would have survived the big right hand that Hasim Rahman kissed him with. I bet you can't.
I bet I can.

Muhammad Ali
George Chuvalo
Joe Louis
Evander Holyfield
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
David Tua
Mike Tyson
Oscar Bonavena
Jess Willard
Larry Holmes

There you go. I named you ELEVEN. Granted, some of those boxers would have probably hit the deck but they wouldn't be put to sleep like Lennox was. They'd get off the canvas to win or they wouldn't get floored at all.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Malik Wright
George Jefferson wrote
Muhammad Ali
George Chuvalo
Joe Louis
Evander Holyfield
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
David Tua
Mike Tyson
Oscar Bonavena
Jess Willard
Larry Holmes
DA FUCK??? Homie, since when was David Tua heavyweight champion?

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Maximillian
Malik Wright wrote
DA FUCK??? Homie, since when was David Tua heavyweight champion?

I don't know what this nigga talkin 'bout but he done smoked himself retarded. David Tua had an iron chin and I agree that he would have survived Rahman's punch but since he was never a title holder, we can't include him. Hey George Jefferson...I said name 10 heavyweight champions that would have survived that punch..not fat kiwi slobs that eat Burger King all day and waste their careers.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Malik Wright wrote
DA FUCK??? Homie, since when was David Tua heavyweight champion?
Since I woke up with your sister this morning, punk.

My bad. I misread the post. My point was that a lot of other heavyweights would take the punch better than Lennox did.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Urban Legend
Of course Lennox Lewis is an ATG. Is this thread serious? To make it short, look at the generations of fighters that Lennox beat. He beat 80s boxers like Tyson, Bruno, Biggs and Holyfield. He beat 90s boxers like Tua, Morrison, Mercer, Briggs, and on and on. And, last but not least, he beat the current best fighter on the scene, Vitali Klitschko. Lennox defeated three different eras of heavyweights!!!

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Zombies Ate Me
This thread...lol. I voted yes. He was not the greatest but among them. Top ten easily, but Tyson, Ali, Foreman and others rank above him in my book.

He has to be an alltime great. Glass jaw or not, can anyone imagine someone like say, Max Baer or Gene Tunney beating Lennox Lewis? How about Jack Johnson? Lennox trumps a lot of ex-heavyweight champions head to head and with his resume.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Shane
Of course Lennox Lewis is an all time great. He's the last of the heavyweight legends. His chin may have let him down on two occasions but it was rare that a boxer could catch that chin flush.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

49-0
With his size he's a threat to anyone but he's not a top ten qualifier..maybe top twenty.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

George Foreman said in this clip that Lennox Lewis is the greatest boxer of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5AMRL5-Hc

Lennox doesn't get his due from many Americans, but as history progresses, people will have to give Lewis his props. That's how history is. Would you believe that nobody considered Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and George Foreman all-time great fighters until they retired? When they fought, no one was comparing them to Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano. Likewise, no one paid close attention to Sonny Liston until long after his death. When you look back, you see how great he really was.

[...]

At first I thought this was going to be a troll thread when I read the title. I'm glad you gave your reasons on why you think he wasn't that great.

His legacy is a bit mixed because the biggest names on his record (Tyson and Holyfield) were past it when he beat them. And he never got to fight Riddick Bowe as a professional because Riddick ducked the shit out of him.

But you can't deny his talent. At 6'5, 250 Ibs with his talent and power, you can't fuck with Lennox. Top five material at best.

I was hoping these two would have got it on in 1998. Unfortuneatly, Foreman was robbed versus Shannon Briggs, so Briggs had to take the beating from Lennox instead.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

As history progresses, people will have to give Lewis his props. That's how history is. Would you believe that nobody considered Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and George Foreman all-time great fighters until they retired? When they fought, no one was comparing them to Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano. Likewise, no one paid close attention to Sonny Liston until long after his death. When you look back, you see how great he really was.
You're smarter than a lot of people your age, AJ. I can tell you research these things.

When I was little, no one would imagine that Muhammad Ali would be one of the greats, much less the greatest of all time. People would say things like, "Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali are good, but not anywhere near the level of Joe Louis, Jack Johnson, Marciano, etc." I didn't hear anyone referring to Larry Holmes as an all time great during his title reign either. Now people are quick to say he had the best jab and one of the best chins in heavyweight history.

30 years from now, Lennox Lewis will get his credit. To a degree, so will the Klitschkos.
Don

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Don
49-0 wrote
Exactly. Lennox was pushed around the ring all night by old Evander and never caught his breath in the fight. Prime Evander murders Lennox I'm afraid.

Lennox was a damn good heavyweight and beat some good guys but he only reigned as king because Tyson and Holyfield were past it. And he struggled with both of them in their fights. As far as the Tyson fight goes, had Tyson kept up the intensity he used in the first round, he would have snuffed Lennox.
Lennox didn't struggle with Mike Tyson at all. He controlled every second of that fight. Same thing with the first Holyfield fight. Holyfield only made a fight of the rematch in rounds 6-9.

But anyway, I think Lennox is vastly Underrated, he dominated what is in my opinion the best era of HWs ever. Yes Tyson was over the hill but Holyfield was 3years off his career best win. Then theres:

Vitali - beat future ring champ at 37years of age, 3 months from his 38th birthday

Golota - rated no1 in the world by many after he beat up on Bowe. KO'D IN 1

Rudduck - top3 in the world, destroyed in 2

Tua - new Tyson, maybe the hardest left hooker ever, shutout

Bruno - top 5 fighter, Lennox was having a tough time but ko'd him

Rahman - came back from a KO loss at 35 to destroy Rahman

Morrison - ex WBO champ, big hitter, fresh off beating Rudduck, top 10 fighter, dominated

Tucker - unbeaten since Tyson, ex IBF champ and top 10 operator dominated

McCall - avenged the loss making Oliver cry

Mercer - toughed it out to win a tough decision against a tough style

Briggs - linear champ, destroyed in 4

Grant - the heir apparent destroyed

Gary Mason - top5 fighter, 35-0, beaten into retirement

Lewis can't help it Prime Bowe and Prime Holyfield ducked him, he beat everyone else
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

Evan Fields wrote
I voted no. I don't care how sexy he thinks he looks in dreads. His chin is what keeps him from being an ATG. He got KTFO by ordinary guys not at his level. Yes he avenged them but he should have never been down in the first place. Lennox Lewis was good but with a chin like that, no way does he survive the 70s with prime Foreman, Shavers and other big punchers like Joe Fraizer and Ron Lyle.
Take it from me, someone that sparred with Lewis in his prime and was knocked out by him in two rounds as an amatuer. Lennox Lewis is one of the best boxers of all time. I'll never forget the right hand he cowed me with. His uppercut could crack too. There's nothing he can't do. His reach is so long that he can beat you up from across the ring and if you do get in close the man can beat you up there too!

I've said on this board before that Lennox did not have a glass chin. You can't fight at that high level with a poor chin. He was unfocused in South Africa versus Rahman and not yet matured when he lost to McCall.

Re: Lennox Lewis: All Time Great Or Not?

the boston strong boy
hes was ok a bit overated in my book came along at the right time
123