Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

He went in-depth about this recently. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/5VnOmyyQwzw
Better jab?

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Left Hook From Hell...
Umm...who did Lewis knock out with his jab? I think he's lying there.

Anyway while Lewis jab was harder than Larry's doesn't mean its better. Does this mean that Earnie Shavers had the best right hand simply because it was the hardest? I disagree with that logic

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Malik Wright
Lewis' jab was more british. That's it.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Sivul
Lets use Ray Mercer as a measuring stick. Ray outjabbed Lewis and most say he should have won the fight. When Ray fought Holmes he was jabbed to death and Holmes was well over 40 at that time. Watch both fights. Old Larry had a better jab than prime Lewis.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

George Jefferson
I imagine it was frustrating to fight Larry Holmes. He was straight up spamming with his jab. But lets not con ourselves into believing Larry's jab was unavoidable. Gerry Cooney was jabbing almost evenly with Larry. Would anyone say that Gerry had a jab as great as Larry?

 I never heard anyone say that, but if you watch them fight they were nearly evenly matched with the jab. Mercer outjabbed Lewis. So did Holyfield. So no jab was perfect.

But anyway. In terms of style and power I favor Lewis' jab. It was perfect in the Rahman rematch. Sharp and authorative. Rahman had no answer and it set up a brilliant right hand knockout

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Evolution
I trained with Lennox and as great as he was, his habits made him predictable. He would blink before throwing a jab. It never failed. I always saw it coming and during our last year of working together I was countering and outjabbing him. Despite that he was still difficult to fight.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

George Jefferson wrote

It was perfect in the Rahman rematch. Sharp and authorative. Rahman had no answer and it set up a brilliant right hand knockout
Rahman was nothing special. In fact when you think about it the guys that Lewis "dominated" with his jab were nobodies or lazy. His jab kept him in control versus Tua, Morrison, Rahman and some others but those guys are neither here nor there. The jab worked well in the first fight against old Holyfield and against a shot Tyson.

But Lewis' jab didn't work at all in the rematch with Holyfield and against Mercer, Bruno and Vitali. His jab had mixed results. Larry's jab made him hard to fight for nearly EVERYONE in his prime. Its arrogance to think his jab was better than Larry.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Sivul wrote
Lets use Ray Mercer as a measuring stick. Ray outjabbed Lewis and most say he should have won the fight. When Ray fought Holmes he was jabbed to death and Holmes was well over 40 at that time. Watch both fights. Old Larry had a better jab than prime Lewis.
Agreed. The only heavyweight in my opinion who had a jab arguably better than Larry is Ali.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

MAGUIRE
I trained with Lennox and as great as he was, his habits made him predictable. He would blink before throwing a jab. It never failed. I always saw it coming and during our last year of working together I was countering and outjabbing him. Despite that he was still difficult to fight.
Good insight. Lewis had more reach with his jab also because he was bigger. But I saw him paw with it sometimes even against Tua and Tyson. When he got too comfortable he pawed or coasted. Larry never did. Each jab was fierce!
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

49-0
The video is gone. But if Larry and Lennox fought it would be Larry out-jabbing Lennox. To his credit though, Lennox did knock out Tommy Morrison with the jab, although Tommy had taken major punishment prior.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Alucard
Great insight... Holmes jab was better and more consistent, Lewis as you said was predictable... Still Lewis is the strongest/greater fighter in my opinion...

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Here’s a great observation and analysis about what might happen if they met in their primes.

http://www.boxingchannel.tv/what-larry-holmes-vs-lennox-lewis/

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Umm...who did Lewis knock out with his jab? I think he's lying there.
Tommy Morrison. The knockout blow was preceded by a lot of punishment and other knockdowns, but it was a jab that dropped him for the last time.

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Lennox is demonstrating his jab here. This is an old clip so I’m puzzled on how I missed it. His son is playing around in the background. 🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/IIxk4E73R7o

Re: Lennox Lewis "My jab is better than Larry Holmes"

Urban Legend
He must have changed his technique somewhere because in that video you posted he says to leave your elbow in, but in this video when he’s teaching his jab to Deontay Wilder he’s instructing him to leave his arm halfway extended.

https://youtu.be/MPJMn7izjOM

He’s too quick to brag about his jab. It was decent but it was only effective because of his range. His jab was completely ineffective against Mercer and Vitali and even Holyfield in the rematch. His jab only looked good against guys who had poor defense like Morrison, Tua, Rahman and a washed up Mike Tyson. These are the facts.