Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Joe Kingman
Administrator
BEST SKILLS
Evander Holyfield: Evander was very talented, although I was disappointed that he used his head as a punch in those fights. The word was that he was the greatest heavyweight of our era but nobody could say that until he fought Lennox Lewis. In the first fight he was overconfident, singing during his ring walk, so I went after him and he was shocked to get that draw. Second time around he knew what to expect so it was a tougher fight but I still won comfortably.

BEST JAB
Razor Ruddock: Ruddock had a good jab before he hit the canvas.

BEST DEFENSE
Holyfield: Holyfield had excellent variety to his defense. He could cross his arms like George Foreman but he was also well schooled in the traditional type of defense you get taught in the amateurs. Evander presented a real challenge and I had to put in a lot of effort to break through. I couldn’t just land one or two shots and be content; it had to be threes, fours and fives.

BEST CHIN
Oliver McCall: There is no doubt. He was Mike Tyson’s sparring partner for years and had “cracking” reflexes.

BEST PUNCHER
Shannon Briggs: He lacked endurance but Briggs certainly knew how to put his bodyweight behind a punch. Unfortunately for him you need the full package when you face me so power isn’t enough. Fans may expect me to say McCall or Hasim Rahman for punching power but I basically set myself up against both of them.

FASTEST HANDS
Briggs: I was surprised by Briggs’ hand speed. He was able to close the gap very quickly and that allowed him to get off the big punches. Sometimes you don’t realize how quick someone is until you’re in there.

FASTEST FEET
Zeljko Mavrovic: I had to break him down by cutting off the ring. Mavrovic moved well but he was in survival mode from the moment the fight started.

SMARTEST
Vitali Klitschko: Vitali used his awkwardness to good effect. Everyone said that I should have fought him again but he was just icing on my retirement cake. I took him on at short notice and despite being mentally ready, my physical preparation wasn’t ideal. I beat him at my worst so there was no need for a rematch. He definitely experienced the uppercuts.

STRONGEST
Hasim Rahman: Rahman was very strong in the first fight and then he landed a lucky punch. People say that there’s no such thing as a lucky punch but it’s a punch thrown “one time.” In the rematch he couldn’t get near me so I don’t know how strong he was that night.

BEST OVERALL
Holyfield: Holyfield was the best opponent I faced in my career.

https://www.ringtv.com/534503-best-faced-lennox-lewis/

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

BAD INTENTIONS
He says Evander was the best, and that’s saying a lot because Evander was an old man by then and far, far from his prime years....if an old shell of Evander is better than Golota, Tua, Morrison, and Mercer (none of whom were even MENTIONED here) then that makes a lot of Lewis’ competition look like jokes and Holyfield hands down the best of the era despite Lewis.....Prime Lewis having so many issues with old Holyfield convinced me that young Holyfield would beat him easy.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Lewis is amongst the best ever, but his constant bragging is not appealing.
He gives Briggs a lot of credit.
You could make a goood argument that prime Holyfield takes him.
Constant bragging?

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

He always is upping his own status never modest
more dramatic is cHuvalo who has  an excuse for every fight such as if the  Foreman fight continued he would have won
Usually i would say a man should noit be critiqued for retiring anytime
But he promised Vitai a rematch so i wonder how their exhibition wil go< fiercely or relaxed
He's not exactly upping his status here. In fact he is giving a lot of these guys a lot of credit. Regarding Vitali, I do wish he had focused more on Vitali's intelligence here. He ranked him as the most intelligent opponent but didn't go into any detail other than commenting on his awkward style. Instead he kept making his oft-repeated excuses of why he never rematched him.

I personally believe that Lewis initially wanted a rematch because of the adrenaline and heat of the moment following the fight. When the heat of the moment died down, he started realizing then that a rematch was probably more trouble than it was worth because by then he had accomplished his goals and knew that Vitali would likely beat him.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Joe Kingman
You think even with a great deal of training & conditioning he was too far past his physical prime & would have lost a rematch?
If Lewis felt confident that he would have won a rematch, he would have fought one.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Will69
Joe Kingman wrote
Entaowed wrote
You think even with a great deal of training & conditioning he was too far past his physical prime & would have lost a rematch?
If Lewis felt confident that he would have won a rematch, he would have fought one. -Joe Kingman
True that. Lewis was the first big guy with top skills. Vitali was the 2nd, but Vitali was a bit bigger and stronger version of Lewis. Lewis made the right decision, although I would have loved to see it happen.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Evolution
Will69 wrote
True that.  Lewis was the first big guy with top skills.  Vitali was the 2nd, but Vitali was a bit bigger and stronger version of Lewis.  Lewis made the right decision, although I would have loved to see it happen.
Vitali is a big man. That's difficult in itself.

He is also an awkward fighter which is difficult regardless of size.

Vitali combines the two brilliantly. Duggerman said in one thread that Vitali fought like a 6'8 version of Max Schmeling and I think that sums it up perfectly, although Vitali has a much better chin and bigger punch, although Max had a hard right hand too.

I never worked with Vitali. He was retired during the years I worked with his brother. But in my opinion Wladimir hit harder. His left hook was a monster, but he relied on his straight right for most finishes. Man if only he had permanently added that mean left hook to his repertoire.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Zombies Ate Me
No mention of Tyson? I understand that Tyson was not prime, but come on. Tyson rocked Lewis good in the first round and stayed on his ass. This had to give Lewis at least a small glimpse or fraction of what fighting the animal known as Tyson was like in his prime years.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Leo the Lion
No surprise for me on the Holyfield comments. Its no secret I'm a huge Holyfield fan, but this says something. Pity that first draw decision when they fought, but hey, meant they fought twice and I'm not complaining about that
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

It's Dale
Wow. Evander was officially Evander "Oldyfield" by the time he finally got to Lewis. The prime version would smoke him if he had such a time with the old faded version.

Re: Lennox Lewis ranks his opponents

Urban Legend
I wouldn't guess Rahman was the strongest but it makes sense. He was a bodybuilder, right?