Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Left Hook From Hell...
Who got bigger pops from the crowd? I say Austin and I've got video evidence from several live shows to prove it. I realize that The Rock is more popular than Austin outside of wrestling but wrestling fans always maintained Stone Cold as their #1 guy. It was Austin, not Rock, who began the Attitude era and helped the company go mainstream with his feud with Mike Tyson.
Bigger Pops?

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

MAGUIRE
These videos don't prove a thing quite frankly. For one these are only a few examples and for two, they could have been edited after airing. Ever heard of "canned heat?" There are canned cheers as well. I remember a time around 2001-2002 or so that X-Pac got NO reaction from the crowd so each time he was on Sunday Night Heat and Smackdown there was editing done to make it sound like he was getting booed out of the building.

But anyway Rock is definitely more popular. Why do you think HE got to battle Hulk Hogan at wrestlemania 18 and not Stone Cold? You're absolutey right that Stone Cold started the Attitude era. But it was the Rock who transcended it and went to Hulk Hogan-type hollywood status outside the ring. When Austin was gone for a year The Rock became the new face of the company and Stone Cold never quite got his spot back.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

MAGUIRE wrote
But anyway Rock is definitely more popular. Why do you think HE got to battle Hulk Hogan at wrestlemania 18 and not Stone Cold?
Actually Stone Cold refused to lose to Hogan and vice versa. Their egos were too big, so it fell through. In the meantime, something was worked out where The Rock would beat Hogan fair and square at WrestleMania, and Hogan would win the world title soon after. Hogan didn't mind losing as long as he won the championship the next month.

A similar incident happened around Summerslam 1999. Triple H was supposed to win his first world title at the event, but Stone Cold refused to lose to HHH, so he lost to Mankind instead and then Mankind dropped the title to HHH the next night.

Part of the reason Stone Cold walked out on the company in 2002 was because he was scheduled to lose a match to Brock Lesnar. In Austin's defense, it wasn't that he didn't want to lose to Brock. He just wanted to lose to him at a big event rather than on Monday Night Raw. A match of this magnitude should have been on PPV and I agree with that. I don't agree with him walking out on the company though.

Here's a good interview with Vince Russo talking about the differences between The Rock and Stone Cold. The consensus among Vince and others was that The Rock was easier to get along with and more easy going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgV_h58Ckp4

Regarding the popularity of the two, I attended many live shows during their primes. Austin got bigger pops but not by much. It was close. Even when they played heel characters they were never booed as much as they should have been. It became a scenario where the fans "loved to hate them." Ironically both Austin and The Rock are heel characters at heart, but work better as babyfaces because fans could never honestly hate them.

At the '99 Royal Rumble they tried to show a vicious side of The Rock when he kept pummeling Mankind with that chair. The incident showed Mankind in a sympathetic light, especially with his wife and children crying as they watched the beating. But no matter what The Rock did, he got cheered. The office had no choice but to turn him babyface.

I didn't know about Austin's ego. Thanks for posting the interview and information. But as it stands, Dwayne Johnson is more popular. Who saw WrestleMania this year? Hogan, Rock and Austin each came out for the same segment. Who got the biggest pop?
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Zombies Ate Me
MAGUIRE wrote
Who saw WrestleMania this year? Hogan, Rock and Austin each came out for the same segment. Who got the biggest pop?
Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Left Hook From Hell...
^^Damn right. He got the biggest pop of the three. Hogan took wrestling mainstream in the 80s, Stone Cold changed the sport forever, and The Rock is basically following in Hogan's footsteps but having a better film career. But it was Austin who re-energized the sport and kicked off the Attitude era giving wrestling the huge boost it needed as its popularity was sagging.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

I'll put it this way. Austin's stamp will never be forgotten. He'll probably always get the biggest pops between he, Rock and Hogan at wrestling events.

It's too early to tell how much of a legend Dwayne Johnson is going to be. So many popular Hollywood actors come and go. Michael Keaton, Jean Claude Van Dam, Steven Seagal, etc. Even Will Smith's last movie was a bomb. It may or may not be the beginning of the end for him, too. 20 years from now Dwayne may be like a comet in the sky that passed by. Hulk Hogan, however, will always have his legacy because he was the first professional wrestler to go mainstream. Dwayne is popular now but we'll see 20 years from now if he'll be a legend or not.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

I'll put it this way. Austin's stamp will never be forgotten. He'll probably always get the biggest pops between he, Rock and Hogan at wrestling events.

It's too early to tell how much of a legend Dwayne Johnson is going to be. So many popular Hollywood actors come and go. Michael Keaton, Jean Claude Van Dam, Steven Seagal, etc. Even Will Smith's last movie was a bomb. It may or may not be the beginning of the end for him, too. 20 years from now Dwayne may be like a comet in the sky that passed by. Hulk Hogan, however, will always have his legacy because he was the first professional wrestler to go mainstream. Dwayne is popular now but we'll see 20 years from now if he'll be a legend or not.
Good points. Stone Cold represents the stereotypical beer guzzling rednecks who have always supported wrestling. They see themselves in The Texas Rattlesnake. Rock and Hogan are more popular as mainstream superstars but to hardcore wrestling fans, Austin is their man. That will never change. You're right when you say he'll always get the biggest ovation at wrestling shows because of this. Hogan and The Rock will get bigger ovations at the Oscars, on MTV, etc.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Evolution
Both were too charasmatic to be booed even during their heel runs. I found this article that analyzes why Steve Austin's heel turn in 2001 hurt his career.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2013/3/7/4076166/wrestlemania-17-redux-a-reflection-on-stone-colds-heel-turn-and-why

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

This is hilarious. No one could oversell the stunner like The Great One.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

I think dickhead Shawn Michaels could easily do it. I recall his 2005 Summerslam match versus Hulk Hogan where his acted totally unprofessional throughout the match. He oversold to the point that the match became a mockery.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Left Hook From Hell...
I never did like Shawn Michaels anyway. I much prefer Stone Cold or The Rock. Rock always put on a great show when he took the stunner. I seen Scott Hall and Pat Patterson oversell it too.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Apollo wrote
I think dickhead Shawn Michaels could easily do it. I recall his 2005 Summerslam match versus Hulk Hogan where his acted totally unprofessional throughout the match. He oversold to the point that the match became a mockery.
I just watched that match for the first time the other night and it was hilarious! Very unprofessional, but highly entertaining. You would think Hogan had the strength of God the way Michaels kept overselling his attacks.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Rosco
Gotta be real, homies. The numbers don't lie. The Rock has a better hollywood career than all the other wrestlers in history combined! And, let's be frank..it was The Rock's popularity that finished off WCW. Nobody was watching WCW knowing that the People's Champ was at the WWE. Everytime The Rock returns to wrestling the ratings go up. But people still prefer Stone Cold or Hogan as the biggest in wrestling history. Why? They're white. This is kind of like people prefering The Beatles or Elvis Presley over Michael Jackson despite MJ outselling them in record sells, tours, etc. Dwayne Johnson is the biggest name in wrestling history but he won't get his due. If he were white, then he'd definitely get the nod over Austin and Hogan in terms of popularity and legacy. It wouldn't be a debate then.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Rosco wrote
That's real talk, man. Remember when The Rock did this shoot promo on Austin after he walked out of the WWE in 2002? Here it is, and here is Austin recalling his thoughts on it and whether or not it affected his personal relationship with The Rock.

At the '99 Royal Rumble they tried to show a vicious side of The Rock when he kept pummeling Mankind with that chair. The incident showed Mankind in a sympathetic light, especially with his wife and children crying as they watched the beating. But no matter what The Rock did, he got cheered. The office had no choice but to turn him babyface.
I agree with this entire post and I agree with a later post of yours where you said that Austin and Hogan will forever be more popular with wrestling crowds, but the Rock would always have more admiration outside the wrestling industry. At the grammys or academy awards I don't see Hulk or Austin getting bigger pops than Rock. The Rock is certainly more popular than them outside the ring but those die-hard wrestling fans will always love Hulk and Austin a bit more.

Re: Lets settle this...Stone Cold or The Rock

Sivul
49-0 wrote
I agree with this entire post and I agree with a later post of yours where you said that Austin and Hogan will forever be more popular with wrestling crowds, but the Rock would always have more admiration outside the wrestling industry. At the grammys or academy awards I don't see Hulk or Austin getting bigger pops than Rock. The Rock is certainly more popular than them outside the ring but those die-hard wrestling fans will always love Hulk and Austin a bit more.
Yep. Being that wrestling is a big southern thing and Austin is a "good old boy" he represents rednecks and will always have that support over a man of color. I don't think Austin is racist, considering his travels and working with diverse people. I've never heard anything about Austin being racist. I can't say the same about Michael Hayes and some of the others. But Austin will forever be supported by the old south. He represents them.