Marciano-Walcott 2

Thoughts on this one? Here is a discussion of the fight with Bert Sugar, Teddy Atlas and Angelo Dundee. I agree with their opinion that Walcott threw the fight. It's very suspicious. Walcott got dropped by a right uppercut, sat there with his arm on the rope, and waited until the count of 9 1/2 to finally climb up. He didn't want to fight Marciano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZL8Vlbq3g
Did Walcott throw the fight?

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

It's Dale
It was not on the level. Not one iota. He didn't fight at all with the spirit in which he fought Rocky the first time. It's as if he were waiting on the right moment to go down and stay there. Disgusting. It's a real shame because he could have just outboxed and outmanuvered Rocky the way he did the previous year. All he had to do was stay off the ropes this time.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Zombies Ate Me
Whoa! Beautiful knockout by Rocky Marciano!!!

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Shane
It was disgusting to me that Walcott threw the fight. I think he took the payday and ran. It's more than obvious that he threw the fight. His mind was clear enough to sit there and listen to the count and he waits right until the count is a split second from being over to try to get up. Who gets purposely gets up just in time to be too late?

@ Dale. What does Walcott being against the ropes have to do with anything? It doesn't matter where he is in the ring. Rocky would land a big one, just as he did in this fight.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Walcott just could not face another 15 rounds of relentless pressure, to most probably get KO'd again. As others have said he took the pay day & ran. His whole mock I was robbed reaction was a phony way of hiding his shame, Rocky was a big hitter as we know but Walcott could have got up & at least survived longer & make a fight of it, as the public pay good money & at least expect the opponent to give of his best.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Zombies Ate Me wrote
Whoa! Beautiful knockout by Rocky Marciano!!!
Sarcasm?

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Look at Walcott's diva pose after the fight. Great acting, buddy. lol.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Evan Fields wrote
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Whoa! Beautiful knockout by Rocky Marciano!!!
Sarcasm?
Not at all. Rocky landed the punch and down Walcott went with a terrific CRASH! It's a very picturesque knockout. I agree that Walcott could have gotten up and fought on if he chose to, but that's boxing for ya. He had no heart. you compare this knockout to when Joe Louis knocked him out. You see Walcott struggling to shake the cobwebs out and make an honest effort to get up but he's too hurt to continue. I also like this one because Rocky is famous for his right hook and haymaker but he had one hell of an uppercut too.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Westmoreland
Look at Walcott's diva pose after the fight. Great acting, buddy. lol.

Look at his abs! I didn't realize how fit he was.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Remember Sonny quit after Ali's phantom punch.

That is exactly what Walcott is doing.

History repeats itself.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Zorro
He obviously threw the fight. Quite sad and surpising considering he fought the fight of his career against Marciano months prior. He displayed so much heart, will and determination but was destroyed with one sledgehammer of a punch in the 13th. On this night he decided to pack it in after taking his first significent punch. Shame.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Phantom Punch
You'd think Walcott would step his game up in the rematch. He was cruising to victory in the first fight. He had the points a in a bag. First man to knock down Rocky Marciano. He just got hit with a lucky punch in the 13th. All he had to do was not let Rocky get close to him. But like Bert Sugar and the others said here, I don't think Joe ever forgot that punch.

Re: Marciano-Walcott 2

Urban Legend
It's a little of both; the punch was real. It caught him by surprise and landed right on the chin and he went down. But he could have gotten up faster and fought on if he chose to. Same as the Ali-Liston situation.