Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

Left Hook From Hell...

That’s right. I said it! Rocky wasn’t a pleasant hitter, but it was him battering you all over the ring that eventually broke your body down and then he’d knock you out.

Sure he stopped Walcott with one brilliant shot but how many other times did he suddenly knock a guy out with one punch? Generally he beat his opponents up so bad until they wilted.

If Rocky had such awesome power, I don’t see how HENRY COCKELL could last with him for so long. Same with guys like Ezzard Charles and Walcott. These guys were light heavyweights. Even Joe Louis was 77 years old and Rocky struggled for a while to put him away. Tyson would have knocked out that dinosaur in less than a round.

Re: Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

I’d say he was a miniature Liston or Foreman. They generally clubbed guys to death too. Does this make their power a “myth?” 😳

As for the fight with Louis, Rocky told Lou Duva and others that he didn’t wanna hurt Louis. He said he could have ended things in the first round, but he absolutely did not wanna hurt his hero. Then, in the 8th round when Joe was helpless, Rocky went for the kill and ended it.

Re: Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

I’d say he was a miniature Liston or Foreman. They generally clubbed guys to death too. Does this make their power a “myth?” 😳
I agree with your sound assessment, AJ. Not every punch is going to be a knockout slam. There are lots of variables to scoring a knockout shot, like the angle, balance, speed, location, etc. Each of the hardest hitters of all times from Liston to Foreman to Tyson to Shavers to Baer etc, each had plenty of fights when they struggled to put guys away. Sometimes they couldn't. Marciano was no different.

LHFH, you should also remember that Marciano knocked out most of his opponents anyway. His record is 49-0, 43 by knockout. So obviously it was really rare that guys went the distance with him or survived.

Re: Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

Rocky had freakish heavyweight power for such a small guy. It was God-given, and something we don't see too often.

Re: Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

That’s right. I said it! Rocky wasn’t a pleasant hitter, but it was him battering you all over the ring that eventually broke your body down and then he’d knock you out.

Sure he stopped Walcott with one brilliant shot but how many other times did he suddenly knock a guy out with one punch? Generally he beat his opponents up so bad until they wilted.

If Rocky had such awesome power, I don’t see how HENRY COCKELL could last with him for so long. Same with guys like Ezzard Charles and Walcott. These guys were light heavyweights. Even Joe Louis was 77 years old and Rocky struggled for a while to put him away. Tyson would have knocked out that dinosaur in less than a round.
Sure Rocky could bang. To knock someone out, certain variables have to be lined up a certain way. Not every single slam from a slugger is going to put someone to sleep. It doesn't work that way. That'd be like a baseball slugger scoring a home run with each hit.

Re: Marciano’s Power was a MYTH

It's Dale
No way is it a myth. Nearly all the guys who fought him have said similar things. The same is true of men who fought Earnie Shavers. Did all of these guys hold a secret group meeting and plan to tell the same lie?