Martial Arts

Who was the best martial artist of all time? The most common opinion is Bruce Lee, but I have reservations on picking him because some of his style was enhanced by Hollywood effects. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: I mentioned in the top sticky thread "Welcome to the boxing zone" that we can discuss other forms of fighting as well. MMA, martial arts, kung fu and other fighting styles are all welcome here.

Re: Martial Arts

KB50MJ
I don't know about the best of all time. But My favorite is Michael Jai WHite

Hes an actor and expert Martial artist who's appeared in numerous action and drama/comedy films. Hes another one of my idols because of his physique and ability in marital arts. Hes my inspiration when it comes to bodybuilding becuase this man has a flawless body. Michael Jai White is a legitimate holder of seven black belts of varying degrees in seven different Martial Arts forms. Beginning his Martial Arts training at the age of eight and achieving his first black belt at the age of twelve, he now has over twenty years of experience. Originally a student of the legendary Shigeru Oyama , ( at the time Shigeru Oyama was the world renowned head of the U.S. Kyokushin Karate Association)  he is now the head of World Oyama Karate. White went on to achieve black belt in six other karate styles; Shotokan, ITF Tae Kwon Do, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo, Goju Ryu and Tang Soo Do. He has also had years of Wu-Shu Kung Fu training under current American Wu-Shu team coach, Eric Chen.

White has trained privately with the likes of Bill" Superfoot" Wallace, Benny " The Jet"   Urquidez, Shihan Bobby Lowe, Shokei Matsui, Jean Claude Van Damme,  James Lew, Don " the Dragon " Wilson, Peter Cunningham, Billy Blanks, Gene Label and Joe Lewis. White has also worked behind the scenes on stunt fighting sequences with Steven Segal.

I know hes just actor but when it comes to martial arts hes as real as it gets. The mans been all over the world training with different people since he was in his early teens. Hes even won a lot of Martial art tournaments when he was younger. I enjoy watching whatever hes in.

Like stated above, hes an expert martial artist and knows a lot about fighting in general.

Here are some clips of his stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeMxheFFFd0&feature=player_embedded

http://youtu.be/qY-xASQ-lzY

And here are some clips of him explaining a thing or two about fighting and boxers with Kimbo Slice:
http://youtu.be/wdPP0TmqKiU
http://youtu.be/tUIP6-84Kng

And here is a clip of his training back during the filming of Universal Soldier: The Return (1999):
http://youtu.be/fylDp1VtZbA

And him teaching a guy about how movie fights are set up:
http://youtu.be/gyobaiSWBtE

Re: Martial Arts

Urban Legend
That's the dude that played Mike Tyson!!

Re: Martial Arts

KB50MJ
Yup. He played Iron Mike in the 19995 TV movie that HBO made called Tyson

Re: Martial Arts

Who was the best martial artist of all time? The most common opinion is Bruce Lee, but I have reservations on picking him because some of his style was enhanced by Hollywood effects. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: I mentioned in the top sticky thread "Welcome to the boxing zone" that we can discuss other forms of fighting as well. MMA, martial arts, kung fu and other fighting styles are all welcome here.
Bruce Lee used to study the shuffling feet movement of Jersey Joe Walcott. You can see him do the Walcott shuffle in many of his films.

Re: Martial Arts

Who was the best martial artist of all time? The most common opinion is Bruce Lee, but I have reservations on picking him because some of his style was enhanced by Hollywood effects. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: I mentioned in the top sticky thread "Welcome to the boxing zone" that we can discuss other forms of fighting as well. MMA, martial arts, kung fu and other fighting styles are all welcome here.
I'll have to go with Bruce Lee. This man was the real deal Holyfield. I was looking on youtube for his screen test for the Green Hornet tv show. The full screen test shows him performing moves on a gentleman to give the producers an idea of his fighting styles. This guy was so fast that he performed about 3 moves before the man could react to the first one. His punching speed was recorded to be about about five hundreths of a second (0.05 second) from punching distance. He had gotten so high in his martial arts training that he invented a style "Jeet Kune Do."

Van Williams star of the Green Hornet said in an interview that Bruce was must faster than what he showed on screen. He said when they began filming The Green Hornet the producers told him to slow his moves down so they can capture it on film. He was only 5'7 but he had incredible speed and power. Moves like sending his opponent flying feet away from a one inch punch, side kicking two boards and making them shatter (literally) on command (he just thought of something on the spot according to people who were there) and performing two finger push ups on one hand are just some incredible things that Bruce could do. Here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpbi-6Sb_ys&feature=related

And this man can and did entertain this stuff on people who tried to test him too. I'm not saying there was nobody in the universe who could beat him in his prime,but stories from all that knew him said Bruce was always the victor. He stated him self that he had a violent temper. And people saw his movies and thought it was just "movie tricks" that made him look good. People tried to test them on the street and he would wash them up quickly.

At 2:14 in the video clip above it shows the famous scene from Enter The Dragon where Bruce kicks actor Robert Wall (Oharra). This was actually a real kick because Robert cut Bruce's hand with glass shooting this scene. The impact was so great that one of the men that caught Robert broke their arm catching him.

The Enter The Dragon shoot didn't go as smooth as some thought Bruce beat up a few other guys on set for disrespecting him. One gentleman said he came in a room and Bruce had a guy (actor) penned on the ground and blood was running down this guys face. Another situation where another guy was standing on top of one of the walls and was talking trash to Bruce from the wall. Bruce told him to come down and Bruce kicked the bejesus outta this cat and it was a wrap. There are documentaries on the Enter The Dragon dvd's that go into detail about this stuff. Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist I've seen.

Re: Martial Arts

I remember he fought Burt Ward when The Green Hornet had a crossover episode with Batman. Wasn't the fight a draw?

Re: Martial Arts

*Bump!!*

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
I would have to say Bruce lee for his real ability in martial arts. Before beginning his training in wing chun under Master Ip Man, Bruce was a skinny dude who couldnt fight at all well. In fact, Bruce was bullied and resolved never to be bullied which was how he got started in wing chun at 13. Like most young men in hong kobg at the time,  lee was part of a gang who fought on the streets a lot - from these brutal fights, Bruce learned much.

Aside from his fighting ability,  Bruce broke ranks with traditional martial arts referring to it as a "classical mess" and brought science into his constant quest for perfection. This drive continues to be felt in martial arts today. Bruce is also regarded as the father of mixed martial arts. While Bruce read and learned from various books on 23 different martial arts, the following formed a real foundation of what would become jun fan jeet kune do:

Wing chun
Boxing
Fencing

No other martial artist went as far as Bruce did in search of improvement. And physical strength which Bruce loved but not big muscles which didn't impress him. Bruce also designed his own training equipment which was made by George lee, no relation but great friend.

Bruce it is! Any road, in his time Hollywood couldn't do a whole lot with sfx like today, so its not a concern.

Re: Martial Arts

Michelle
I wasn't aware that there was a martial arts thread. Do any of you think that if Bruce Lee joined UFC he whould whoop everyone's ass?

Re: Martial Arts

I remember he fought Burt Ward when The Green Hornet had a crossover episode with Batman. Wasn't the fight a draw?
LOL!!! Yeah that was good for the story. But in real life I'm afraid Mr. Ward wouldn't of lasted 10 seconds against Mr. Lee.

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
Yeah, this really had more to do with racism against asians at the time. The suits didnt like Bruce at first because he looked "too Japanese" even though kato is a Japanese character! The suits loved Bruce's kung fu: the legend idea, but gave David carradine the role which angered Bruce who went to Asia to make history.

I haven't heard of another martial artist with his obsession with all things physical. He took it to an extreme.

Re: Martial Arts

BAD INTENTIONS
Was Bruce already a martial arts legend when he played Kato or was he still learning his craft?

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
I think Bruce already had a high reputation in Hong Kong and a fast developing one in America at the time. He was so well known in HK that The Green Hornet was known as The Kato Show.

Bruce never stopped learning, developing and honing his craft from the age of 13-32. He used everything he felt would be useful for him. Enter The Dragon made him a legend for all time cos of his great physique.

Re: Martial Arts

What about some of the guys that came after Bruce Lee? Jackie Chan, Jean Claude Van Dam, etc? What kinds of techniques did they borrow from Bruce? I'm sure he was an inspiration.

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
This post was updated on .
Jackie Chan was in Fists Of Fury with Bruce who did inspire him. Chan did the opposite to Bruce in films - comedy.

Van Damme regards Bruce as the no 1 superstar in marital arts and modelled himself on lee as he says here - http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=226

Jet Li has also been inspired by Bruce lee - http://m.askmen.com/celebs/interview_100/146_jet_li_interview.html

Re: Martial Arts

Thanks for the links. Did you ever see when Steve Urkel transformed himself into Bruce Lee? Friggin' hilarious stuff, son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pNu-lHaRY&feature=related

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
Ha, I haven't seen that yet!

I'm not entirely sure that jersey Joe walcott even influenced Bruce lee. Lee's right leg was an inch shorter than his left if I recall correctly and this influenced his fighting position as well as movement.

I did ju-jitsu in my early teens and now study kempo as well as japanese sword arts as well as defense against knives. There's even learning how to attack with knives which is good as movement is really king.

I really should be training to increase muscle size, strength, speed, stamina and endurance. From those, you get punching power which is more attained rather than being simply genetics.

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend wrote
I'm not entirely sure that jersey Joe walcott even influenced Bruce lee.
Here is an article about Jersey Joe Walcott's influence on Bruce Lee.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news/bearden2309.php

Re: Martial Arts

A Friend
I wouldn't be surprised if walcotts grandson didn't know about Lee's leg being shorter than the other. Due to that, he wasnt going to make a habit of standing still and it meant he had to have a particular stance due to the weakness.

Only jack dempsey has been mentioned by Bruce which can be found on www.bruceleefoundation.com. he raved about jack's punching power and learned from it.
12