Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

IMO this was Tyson's best performance between 1999-2002. Nielsen was the perfect opponent--A moderately decent fighter with enough size and slow enough movement and reflexes for Mike to beat on for a lengthy amount of rounds.  Tyson did not cheat - no attempted arm breaking, biting, etc. There was one low blow but it was purely accidental.

Speaking of that, this was Tyson's first time since 1996 that he primarily worked the body. His body attack in the early rounds was awesome and non-stop, and no doubt set the up the knockdown a few rounds later.

Tyson looked awful about Botha. In that fight it wasn't that Botha looked good. It was that Tyson looked bad. The Lou Saverese "fight" was a doo-doo disaster, and honestly, I think Golota would have beaten Tyson if his mental issues hadn't gotten the best of him. To be fair, Tyson owned Golota in that first round, but slowed a lot and punched much less in the second round. Golota was too scared to take advantage and jump on Tyson though, but someone like Tua or Morrison would have crushed Tyson if he'd gotten lazy like that.

But anyway, this was the last great performance of Tyson's career. Thoughts?

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Zorro
It's been a looooong while since I saw this fight and I kind of forgot about it to be honest with you. I just watched it and enjoyed it. I agree with you. Tyson looked real good here and Brian was game, but like you said with his size and limited ability he was the perfect opponent for Tyson back then. Brian was a good enough heavyweight. He'd only lost one fight up to that point, and had beaten Bonecrusher Smith, Larry Holmes, Tony Tucker and some others but they were all past their primes though. Still, I say Brian was good. But Tyson should have fought some tougher opposition before facing Lennox Lewis. Brian was not a good tuneup. But he was a good enough name to show Tyson was still a threat and could fight without cheating.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

49-0
This was easily his best showing post- Holyfield. I agree. But he looked good against McBride too before he quit. Didn’t he win every round? 🤔

It always bothers me when someone quits when they’re FAR ahead in the fight. I understand Vitali quitting against Byrd. A torn rotator cuff is a real serious injury.

But Tyson quitting against McBride was all mental. He mentally caved in during some of his losses but I never thought he’d do it while WINNING! 😳

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

I would not call it a great performance-he was effectivem still a World Class fighter here, but greatly reduced from his prime.
Much slower much less movement, could have come in lighter...
I think you know what I mean. Considering his weight, a prison layoff, and being long past his fighting prime, this fight was a good showing, probably the last time he looked good.  He didn't quit, he didn't slow down, he didn't cheat, etc. He fought well, even focusing on a body attack and we hadn't seen that since '95-96 when Jay Bright was his trainer.

In his book he said that he was too lazy to trim down. He was overweight and just ran with it. Despite that he did well. This was his last good performance.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Nielsen was not a great fighter but he was game. He was the perfect opponent for an aging Tyson to tackle...he wasn’t top ranked or real special but he had a looooooooong undefeated streak, good chin and was durable.

I remember when this fight happened and I was impressed. Tyson beat the hell out of him and got some of his reputation back in this fight.

He said he wanted more tune-ups after this fight to prepare for Lewis but said that Lewis wouldn’t wait around much longer. This may be true, as Lewis was advancing in age and just wasting time keeping busy by fighting guys like Botha and Rahman.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Evan Fields
This fight is a perfect example of why Tommy Brooks was Mike's best trainer with the obvious exceptions of Cus and Kevin. (Rooney)

Tommy had Mike throwing even shorter punches, like the short right smash that decapitated Francis Botha. It landed right on the button. Hard. There was no way for Botha to see it coming, nor brace for it. There was nowhere to go but down.

And like Duggerman already said, Tyson was almost constantly working the body now, which was no doubt a credit to Tommy Brooks also. Tyson had become a head hunter after he dumped Kevin Rooney.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Knocking out Nielsen was definitely a step in the right direction, but he still needed a lot more preparation before fighting someone at the top level like Holyfield or Lewis.

Too bad Tyson was a scaredy cat, because guys like Mercer and Briggs were also much past their best at this point and would have been good tune-ups for him. Hasim Rahman would have been a good opponent at the time too.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Phantom Punch
Hit Em' Hard wrote
 Hasim Rahman would have been a good opponent at the time too.
Hasim would have beat him, unless he feared Mike.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Brooklyn's Finest
I can see why you say this AJ but this is a far FAR cry from the kid I used to spar with. He was sloppy and slow here, almost as sloppy and slow as Brian who just couldn't get out of the way.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Phantom Punch
Brooklyn's Finest wrote
I can see why you say this AJ but this is a far FAR cry from the kid I used to spar with.
You make it sound like you sparred with Tyson?

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Brooklyn's Finest wrote
I can see why you say this AJ but this is a far FAR cry from the kid I used to spar with.

Phantom Punch wrote
You make it sound like you sparred with Tyson?

He did. That's why he joined up here. There's threads and video about it somewhere around here. Welcome back, Steve! Long time!

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Phantom Punch
Oh I found it! In this thread. Cool.

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Brooklyn's Finest
The kid had the best uppercut in the game. It was more than nasty. I could almost always see the left hook coming because he leaned a bit to the left before he slung that sh.it, but that uppercut came right up from hell.

He was the GOAT

Re: Mike Tyson V. Brian Nielsen (2001)

Urban Legend
Brooklyn's Finest wrote
The kid had the best uppercut in the game. It was more than nasty. I could almost always see the left hook coming because he leaned a bit to the left before he slung that sh.it, but that uppercut came right up from hell.

He was the GOAT
I can't nessearily argue with you because you were THERE. And you felt his power first hand. But from what I have seen, the Tyson uppercut is more of a myth. Tell me three guys he knocked out with his body punch/uppercut combination? Generally it was his hooks that got the knockouts. The uppercuts scored knockdowns but rarely kept guys there. And I totally disagree about Tyson being the GOAT.