Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Shane
Does anyone else here think that Tyson was better in his second fight with Bruno? He looked terribly off without Kevin Rooney when they fought in the 80s but when they fought in the 90s Tyson looked a bit better to me.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

I think Bruno was just terrified because he remembered the first beating. He was less resistant in the rematch.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

I think Bruno was just terrified because he remembered the first beating. He was less resistant in the rematch.
Agreed. Tyson only got worse after prison. Bruno was shaking in his boots.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Redemption wrote
Does anyone else here think that Tyson was better in his second fight with Bruno? He looked terribly off without Kevin Rooney when they fought in the 80s but when they fought in the 90s Tyson looked a bit better to me.
Tyson's trainer had him working from odd angles. Frank stood no chance...

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Shane
Amazing that Tyson was on his way to unifying the titles so fast after a three year prison term.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Rosco wrote
Tyson's trainer had him working from odd angles. Frank stood no chance...
Good point. Jay Bright took Tyson back to form. Tyson performed terribly in 1989 without Kevin Rooney. He went back to the basics when Jay Bright took over in 1995.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Tyson was head hunting in the 1989 fight with Bruno. In their 1995 rematch, Jay Bright had Tyson recycling some of the old peek-a-boo techniques. Tyson was working the body and coming up the middle with those uppercuts, unlike the first fight when he was trying to end things with one blockbuster hook to the head.

This is a nice clip about the first fight. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xt2-Uf9qU

LOL. They played Paula Abdul's Straight Up during some of the ring action. It makes the fight look fruity. That was the wrong song choice. LOL!!

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Shane
That sounds about right. Mike looked worse in '89 than he did in '95. '95-97 Tyson was more peek-a-boo oriented than the '89-91 Tyson.

Its weird. '95-97 Tyson was more talented than '89-91 Tyson, but '89-91 Tyson had better stamina.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

49-0 wrote
 Bruno was shaking in his boots.
When Bruno got hit by the first Tyson shot he got very very afraid, like most of Tyson's opponents. It is hard to comprehend what that kind of punch feels like. Guys with those kind of punches - from Joe Louis to George Foreman and especially Ernie Shavers (probably´╗┐ the hardest puncher ever) have a strong psychological advantage after the first minute of the first round. Nothing can train for that.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

I think Bruno was just terrified because he remembered the first beating. He was less resistant in the rematch.
Yea. All that nig---sorry AJ. All that "black man" did was hold Tyson.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Frank had Tyson hurt in the first fight. Someone like Joe Louis might have finished Tyson for keeps.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Frank had Tyson hurt in the first fight. Someone like Joe Louis might have finished Tyson for keeps.
Might have? Joe Louis would have definitely finished Mike off if he had him hurt like that. Louis was one of the best finishers in boxing. If he has you hurt, you're done.

I hate to watch Tyson's fights during this period. ('89-91) He was terrible. No head movement, no combinations, no body work, no accuracy. He was a stand up slugger...a shorter George Foreman.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Frank had Tyson hurt in the first fight. Someone like Joe Louis might have finished Tyson for keeps.
Thats what happens when you don't move your head when you're coming forward.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Frank had Tyson hurt in the first fight.
You mean here?

Photobucket

Damn shame. First fight without Rooney and he was already getting caught with punches he shouldn't have been hit by. You're right, tho. Had that been someone like Liston, Lewis, Foreman or Louis, the fight would have ended right there. Fortuneatly Frank Bruno didn't know how to fight and fouled it up.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

^^He clocked Mike really hard. Mike had never been hit that hard in his career before this point.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Shogun of Harlem
Mike absolutely destroyed Bruno in the rematch.

 photo tyson-bruno_4542038_GIFSoupcom_zps0c2f0806.gif

You'd think Bruno would learn to stay off the ropes when fighting Tyson. Both fights ended with Bruno laying on the ropes being pulverized by body shots and uppercuts. Ouch.

 photo tyson-stops-bruno_2635612_GIFSoupcom_zpsb178239e.gif

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

I suspect Bruno knew this was his last fight & just wanted to survive to enjoy his money. He was holding on for dear life, & never put himself in a position to throw a decent punch let alone win the fight, he really was scared

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Friday The 13th...
precious wrote
I suspect Bruno knew this was his last fight & just wanted to survive to enjoy his money. He was holding on for dear life, & never put himself in a position to throw a decent punch let alone win the fight, he really was scared
Frank Bruno was a nice guy and funny to me. He's likeable but he was not a good heavyweight champion. He could have at least went out on his shield. He put up a gutsy show in the first fight. I always wanted to see him get it on with Holyfield.

Zombies Ate Me wrote
When Bruno got hit by the first Tyson shot he got very very afraid, like most of Tyson's opponents. It is hard to comprehend what that kind of punch feels like. Guys with those kind of punches - from Joe Louis to George Foreman and especially Ernie Shavers (probably´╗┐ the hardest puncher ever) have a strong psychological advantage after the first minute of the first round. Nothing can train for that.
I agree with this as well.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Shogun of Harlem wrote
Mike absolutely destroyed Bruno in the rematch.

 photo tyson-bruno_4542038_GIFSoupcom_zps0c2f0806.gif

You'd think Bruno would learn to stay off the ropes when fighting Tyson. Both fights ended with Bruno laying on the ropes being pulverized by body shots and uppercuts. Ouch.

 photo tyson-stops-bruno_2635612_GIFSoupcom_zpsb178239e.gif
Shit. Mike doesn't play when he has you hurt. He damn near tried to kill Bruno!! You can clearly see the sweat being knocked off Bruno's head with that final left hook. At first I thought Richard Steel stopped the first fight too soon, but it was a good stoppage. Bruno was being brutalized badly.

Re: Mike Tyson Versus Frank Bruno

Evolution made a nice observation in the Best Finisher thread.

Evolution wrote
Mike Tyson Beats Up Frank Bruno

That gif right there shows why I can't roll with Mike as the best finisher. He fought in spurts. Clinch him and you might survive. Bruno isn't even attempting to fight back, escape or even clinch. He's just laying back on the ropes taking the shots. Mike's opponents were so terrified to do anything about his attacks.
Bruno actually fought a decent fight in the first fight until he got hurt against the ropes and submitted to the awesome power of Mike Tyson. In the rematch all he did was hold on for dear life, making it harder for Tyson to land his bombs as often. But when Tyson started throwing non-stop, that's when he finally caught him clean and hurt him bad, stopping him.

He said in the post-fight interview that he threw caution to the wind and wanted to overpower him with a "Henry Armstrong" effect to stop him from holding. If Tyson had thrown a high volume of punches like this his whole career no one would be able to slow his rhythm by clinching.
12