Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Zorro

They have similar styles and similar power. Who wins in their primes?

David Tua had a concrete chin and came forward aggressive just like Mike. He had a powerful, powerful left hook and strong uppercuts and body punches. Mike Tyson edged David a little bit in speed but had better combinations. Punching power is probably even and Tyson had a good chin, but not a concrete one like David. I think this one goes down to the wire with Tyson winning a close decision.

Sad to say this, but Mike Tyson put on a better show against Lennox Lewis than David Tua did.
Who wins?

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

If they fought in the 80s, Tyson would get a decision. I think Tua would be slightly outgunned, but no way does Tyson knock him down or out. Tua had a chin of iron.

If they fought in the 90s, Tua would have knocked out Mike Tyson. I have no doubt in my mind, especially since Tyson was on the decline, lacking stamina, and most importantly, he ducked Tua.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

49-0
Mike Tyson wouldn't know what the hell to do if David hit him with bombs. I know David could take Tyson's bombs but I doubt Tyson could take David's. Tyson in his prime never fought an aggressive and powerful bomber like David Tua. It would almost be like fighting against himself. David wins by knockout after breaking Tyson's will.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

KB50MJ
Who do you guys think hit harder? I know Tyson was faster. But who hit the hardest?

And i wonder why he wasn't as popular as Mike. Him and mike are a lot a like when it comes to entertaining KO's. And he had the power.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

KB50MJ wrote
Who do you guys think hit harder? I know Tyson was faster. But who hit the hardest?

And i wonder why he wasn't as popular as Mike. Him and mike are a lot a like when it comes to entertaining KO's. And he had the power.
In my opinion, Tua might have had a slight edge in power. Tyson had natural bulldozing strength, but he also depended on timing, accuracy and blinding speed to get his knockouts. I think Tua may be a little stronger than Tyson. Getting hit by David Tua is like getting clubbed by George Foreman. But Tyson and Tua both had explosive power and quick hands, but of course Mike was a little faster. They both came at you bobbing and weaving, throwing devastating hooks and uppercuts while in close, often ending fights early.

David Tua was hailed by many people as "the samoan Mike Tyson" until he was embarrassed by Lennox Lewis in his first (and only) title shot. Tua fought like a tentative little girl, afraid of Lewis' power and not throwing combinations or body shots. He hoped to smash Lewis' chin with a miracle left hook, and didn't have a plan B. It was an easy night for Lennox Lewis. Tua's popularity began to wane after his losses to Lewis and Chris Bryd because people saw that he wasn't the real thing. He's still my favorite fighter though.

KB50MJ, I have a friend who sparred with Tua, Foreman, Holyfield, Wladimr, Lewis and several others. His screen name is Evolution. We have a thread on it here where he talked about it. Have you read it? He gauges the punching power and ring styles of these guys. He said Tua and Foreman had similar power.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Maximillian
It's been a long time but the greatest is back!! David Tua and Mike Tyson? They're both overrated hacks!!

Seriously if I had to pick a winner I would pick David Tua. He had a chin of iron in his prime and much better stamina than Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson would get frustrated if he couldn't knock you out and he ain't knocking out Tua. David Tua at least had some fights where he came from behind to knock his opponent out. Mike Tyson never had a knockout past the 8th round. This one has David Tua written all over it. He punched harder than Mike Tyson too.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

KB50MJ
Yea, I've read it. Quite an experience hes went through. I've sparred a little bit a few weeks ago and that head-gear does little to protect you, so I can imagine it probably hurt like hell when he got hit.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

If they fought in the 80s, Tyson would get a decision. I think Tua would be slightly outgunned, but no way does Tyson knock him down or out. Tua had a chin of iron.

If they fought in the 90s, Tua would have knocked out Mike Tyson. I have no doubt in my mind, especially since Tyson was on the decline, lacking stamina, and most importantly, he ducked Tua.
Bingo. Teen Tyson was a special fighter. I've sparred with David Tua on plenty of occasions and he has crazy power but is predictable. He was better in his prime but the left hook was always his sunday punch. Even so, he would have been too much for Mike in the 90s and Mike knew that so he didn't face him.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

It's interesting because Tyson never fought another fighter his size who could force him backwards. Tyson can only fight forward. He was past his best when he fought Buster Mathis Jr, but Mathis forced Tyson to fight on backfoot. If Holyfield and  a novice fighter like Mathis could force Tyson backwards, then I know Tua could. (I'm talking about 90s Tyson, though.) Tua was naturally stronger than Tyson and I know he was stronger than Mathis and Holyfield.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Sad to say this, but Mike Tyson put on a better show against Lennox Lewis than David Tua did.
Are you sure about that? Mike got knocked out by Lennox Lewis. David at least lasted the full 12 and lost on points like a man.

If we're talking prime versus prime I'd say that Mike Tyson beats David Tua on points because no one is knocking out David Tua. But it's a close call. Tua might knock out Mike late because he kept his power in the late rounds. Mike Tyson didn't.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Shane
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Zorro wrote
Sad to say this, but Mike Tyson put on a better show against Lennox Lewis than David Tua did.
Are you sure about that? Mike got knocked out by Lennox Lewis. David at least lasted the full 12 and lost on points like a man.

If we're talking prime versus prime I'd say that Mike Tyson beats David Tua on points because no one is knocking out David Tua. But it's a close call. Tua might knock out Mike late because he kept his power in the late rounds. Mike Tyson didn't.
Tua purposely avoided Lennox Lewis in that fight. He was afraid of getting inside because of the long jab of Lennox, as well as the big right hand or uppercut. At least Mike Tyson came right at Lennox and ate some real leather. I can't say the same about David Tua.

But we can't compare their poor showdowns with Lennox Lewis because Mike was shot by that point. I think Mike would intimtate David worse than Lennox Lewis did. David hates body punches, a specialty of Mike Tyson. He also hated uppercuts, another specialty of Mike Tyson. Prime Tyson had no quit in him. Prime Tua did, as he showed against Lennox Lewis and Chris Bryd. Mike Tyson has this one locked up, most likely by decision as I can't see him knocking out David Tua.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Redemption wrote
But we can't compare their poor showdowns with Lennox Lewis because Mike was shot by that point. I think Mike would intimtate David worse than Lennox Lewis did. David hates body punches, a specialty of Mike Tyson. He also hated uppercuts, another specialty of Mike Tyson. Prime Tyson had no quit in him. Prime Tua did, as he showed against Lennox Lewis and Chris Bryd. Mike Tyson has this one locked up, most likely by decision as I can't see him knocking out David Tua.
Very, very good post. 100% truth.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Tua used to throw ferocious uppercuts just like Tyson.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

KB50MJ wrote
Who do you guys think hit harder? I know Tyson was faster. But who hit the hardest?

And i wonder why he wasn't as popular as Mike. Him and mike are a lot a like when it comes to entertaining KO's. And he had the power.
Also Tyson had Don King as a promoter. Tyson and Ali are the most popular boxers of all times. Don King is the greatest fighting promoter of all times. His fighters usually are always on the front line of the heavyweight division and received multiple title shots. On the other hand Don rips fighters off. Had Tua rolled with Don as his promoter; he would of probably won a legitimate belt at least once. It's a double edge sword.

Mike Tyson was in the joint for three years and within a four fights won the WBA and WBC titles. We also have to take into account that Mike's popularity is something boxing has never seen. After Tua loss to Lennox Lewis and Chris Byrd he never really got a legitimate title shot. If you're Don King's fighter he can work magic.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Tua used to throw ferocious uppercuts just like Tyson.

Is it illegal to throw uppercuts when your opponent is already slumping down? Tyson and Tua always did this. Didn't Mike get in trouble for doing this against Don Halpin?

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

GatorPurify
Redemption wrote
Duggerman wrote
Tua used to throw ferocious uppercuts just like Tyson.

Is it illegal to throw uppercuts when your opponent is already slumping down? Tyson and Tua always did this. Didn't Mike get in trouble for doing this against Don Halpin?
It's kind of subjective. Tyson and Tua (especially Tyson) are combination punchers. They already have it in their mind to throw multiple punches. So if you fight against them and you get hit in between a combination, you have to just eat more punches. They are not gonna stop because you are hurt. If your back isn't on the canvas or the referee doesn't end it you are gonna eat extra punches. That's why combination punching is so effective if learned correctly.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

That's what got Evander Holyfield disqualified from the Olympics; he was throwing a combination and knocked out Kevin Barry with a left hook after the break. Holyfield has a reputation as a dirty fighter, but I don't think he's as dirty as some people make him out to be. But anyway, my point is that when you start a combination, it's hard to stop in the middle of it.

Personally, I do think it should be illegal to repeatedly uppercut a man who is slumping into the ropes and helpless. But unless the ref stops it, what can you do?

To get back on topic, Tua and Tyson were a lot alike. I'm a bigger fan of Tua but prime Tyson would outwork him.

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

49-0
I remember everybody wanted to see this fight in the 90s. Lou Duva used to call out Mike Tyson all the time when he was David's trainer. Someone here mentioned that David would have had more success if he'd been a Don King fighter. I agree. He got ripped off by Kevin Barry anyway, so he might as well have signed up with King. Oliver McCall, Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, and Michael Moorer got thousands of title opportunities, and David knocked out all of them!!! (except Oliver McCall, whom he never faced).

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

Urban Legend
I'd pick David Tua because he's busier on the inside than Tyson. He also carried his power late. Mike Tyson didn't.

The real question is who would win between David Tua and Joe Frazier? There's a battle. Is there a thread on this subject?

Re: Mike Tyson Vs. David Tua

49-0 wrote
I remember everybody wanted to see this fight in the 90s. Lou Duva used to call out Mike Tyson all the time when he was David's trainer. Someone here mentioned that David would have had more success if he'd been a Don King fighter. I agree. He got ripped off by Kevin Barry anyway, so he might as well have signed up with King. Oliver McCall, Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, and Michael Moorer got thousands of title opportunities, and David knocked out all of them!!! (except Oliver McCall, whom he never faced).
I was talking to a friend about this today. David Tua knocked out Rahman, Ruiz, Moorer, and Maskaveuz, yet, each of them became heavyweight champion at one time or another, simply because they worked for Don King. Shannon Briggs, Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison and all of David's other peers also held a title at one point. Each of them are former heavyweight champions. There are four heavyweight championships around (only three are important) and David hasn't won a single one. Now that he's 40 and grossly overweight, I seriously doubt that he ever will..

Back to the thread topic, I 1995-97 Tua would beat up 1995-97 Mike Tyson. Tyson at that point had stamina issues and lost confidence if he didn't stop you early. David Tua can knock you out late, something that Tyson couldn't pull off after prison. He didn't have the stamina of the Tuaman.
1234