Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

49-0
His last real impressive knockout was against Botha in '99. After that his knockouts happened illegally (hitting after the bell and such). He couldn't knock out Brian Nielson, Kevin McBride or Danny Williams. The Clifford Etheinne fight was a total dive on Clifford's part. Do you agree that Iron Mike's power lacked "Iron" after the Botha knockout??????

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

MAGUIRE
Naw. He could still hit. His technique was just sloppy. In his teens he was much sharper and quicker and would have kayod Williams, McBride, etc real easy. He did smash Lennox Lewis with two big lefts in the first round and cracked him with a loud body shot in a later round..I think round 7 or 8.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Shane
His power wasn't enough to beat a top level heavyweight anymore. (Lewis) But after 2003 he couldn't even dispose of journeymen.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

MAGUIRE wrote
Naw. He could still hit. His technique was just sloppy. In his teens he was much sharper and quicker and would have kayod Williams, McBride, etc real easy. He did smash Lennox Lewis with two big lefts in the first round and cracked him with a loud body shot in a later round..I think round 7 or 8.
Preach. He lost his punching technique and accuracy. He became more of a mauler or 'sluggish slugger.' The punch he KO'd Clifford Ethienne with was a solid one. Cliff just didn't want to continue.

Mike just didn't really have the heart for boxing anymore after losing to Douglas.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

49-0 wrote
His last real impressive knockout was against Botha in '99. After that his knockouts happened illegally (hitting after the bell and such). He couldn't knock out Brian Nielson, Kevin McBride or Danny Williams. The Clifford Etheinne fight was a total dive on Clifford's part. Do you agree that Iron Mike's power lacked "Iron" after the Botha knockout??????

 If Mike came out of retirement today he could still punch like a motherfucker. He's naturally a strong and powerful dude like that. Teddy Atlas said that at only 12 years old Mike was 200 pounds all muscle and could punch like Joe Frazier. Mike just didn' t throw enough body punches and combinations anymore after the Holyfield rematch. It was those combinations and body shots that set up or caused many of his knockouts.

I don't think its fair to say he lost power as he aged. George Foreman couldn't knock out Shannon Briggs. Does this mean George lost his edge as a puncher? Not at all.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Evolution
Zombies Ate Me wrote
George Foreman couldn't knock out Shannon Briggs. Does this mean George lost his edge as a puncher? Not at all.
I can attest to that. I helped him train for Shannon Briggs.

Once a slugger, always a slugger. Mike is still capable of hitting hard today. But after prison he was no longer a threat at the championship level. (I don't count Bruno and Seldon as worthy heavyweight champions)

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

49-0 wrote
His last real impressive knockout was against Botha in '99. After that his knockouts happened illegally (hitting after the bell and such). He couldn't knock out Brian Nielson, Kevin McBride or Danny Williams. The Clifford Etheinne fight was a total dive on Clifford's part. Do you agree that Iron Mike's power lacked "Iron" after the Botha knockout??????
I see no evidence that Tyson's power lacked steam in his late '30s. Like others have already said, his heart was not in it anymore by then and his opponents simply wanted it more. Tyson was a front runner, trying like hell to blast you out early but if he couldn't he just said 'Oh well. Let me hit your fist with my face.'

If anyone lacked steam in their power late in their career it was your boy, Rocky Marciano. He failed to knock out Ezzard Charles the first time and it took 8 blows to finally do it in the rematch. Then it took him almost forever to knock out Don Cockell and Archie Moore. Archie and Ezzard were light heavyweights and Rocky had to really struggle to knock them out. Don Cockell? There's no excuse for that one. It should have been a first round knockout victory for Rocky.

Faded or not, the aging Mike Tyson of the 2000s would have been able to do away with those light heavyweights (Ezzard and Archie) and that overweight bum Don Cockell.

I think he could still end things with one blow as he did with Botha and Cliff but he couldn't finish as well as he used to. He had Kevin McBride and Danny Williams hurt and ready to go at times but couldn't take them out.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

I think he could still end things with one blow as he did with Botha and Cliff but he couldn't finish as well as he used to. He had Kevin McBride and Danny Williams hurt and ready to go at times but couldn't take them out.
Maguire wrote
Naw. He could still hit. His technique was just sloppy. In his teens he was much sharper and quicker and would have kayod Williams, McBride, etc real easy. He did smash Lennox Lewis with two big lefts in the first round and cracked him with a loud body shot in a later round..I think round 7 or 8.
Best posts so far..

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Shogun of Harlem
It doesn't look to me like Iron Mike lost any power. He immedieatly floored Corey Sanders, a ranked contender!!!

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

^^I had almost forgotten about that. Once when he hurt Sanders he held him up to keep him from falling. SMH. This was definitely the 'nice guy' Tyson. He had no mean streak left whatsoever.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

I never thought about this. But if his power looked to be fading it could be because of his over-reliance on the big looping overhand right smash. He abandoned his left hook and uppercut late career. What made Tyson special was that he had so many punches he could strike you out with and sometimes he put them together. He became strictly a right hand puncher later on. He was still capable of hitting very hard though. I remember the body shot he landed on Lewis that MacGuire spoke of earlier.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Zombies Ate Me
Relying on only the right hand for knockouts? Check

Lacking the killer instinct and ability to finish? Check

Lack of combinations and body blows? Check

Too nice of a guy and lack of fighting spirit? Check

Well gang. It looks like we covered every possible reason why Mike wasn't putting them to sleep like he used to. But like I said, if his heart was into the sport and he had that desire he still could have bulldozed through contender after contender. He was still fast and hit like a mutha.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Friday The 13th...
"He hit me hard. He's the hardest puncher I've ever faced."
-Kevin McBride on Mike Tyson (Facing Tyson Book)

I saw Mike punching the heavy bag on some TV show months back to promote his new book. He sent the bag flying with each blow. Must be traumatizing to get hit by that man..

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Hit Em' Hard wrote

If anyone lacked steam in their power late in their career it was your boy, Rocky Marciano. He failed to knock out Ezzard Charles the first time and it took 8 blows to finally do it in the rematch. Then it took him almost forever to knock out Don Cockell and Archie Moore. Archie and Ezzard were light heavyweights and Rocky had to really struggle to knock them out. Don Cockell? There's no excuse for that one. It should have been a first round knockout victory for Rocky.

Faded or not, the aging Mike Tyson of the 2000s would have been able to do away with those light heavyweights (Ezzard and Archie) and that overweight bum Don Cockell.
I don't know about all that. But you could argue that Rocky wasn't the same after the wars with Ezzard Charles. And hey, Ezzard had a good chin and a good fight plan. And give Don Cockell some credit. He had heart and didn't walk backward like most Marciano foes. Those British fighters always fought with a lotta heart. But Rocky's power shouldn't be in question because he DID knock out all those men you mentioned.

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Evolution said---I can attest to that. I helped him train for Shannon Briggs.

Got it in a nutshell Evolution, the man that emerged from prison was never the same, Ali adapted, Mike just didn't. He was still a formidable guy but no longer the feared exterminator from his explosion onto the heavyweight scene. Pity all that happened, I honestly believe he could have been a legitimate contender for one of the greats had he behaved himself, D’Amato kept Rooney etc. etc. but you just can’t change history, only speculate at What could have been?

Well gang. It looks like we covered every possible reason why Mike wasn't putting them to sleep like he used to. But like I said, if his heart was into the sport and he had that desire he still could have bulldozed through contender after contender. He was still fast and hit like a mutha.
Good post

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

frank
and those gloves were 16oz!
Luc

Re: Mike Tyson's fading power in later years

Luc
I've watched a few of Tyson's later fights recently and in the latter days he lacked the speed and agility to get into knockout positions.

Remember Tyson is only 5.11, and it's not as simple as just throwing big rights over someone's defence.

If he caught you he'd still knock you out. But getting into the right zones to catch you was proving difficult.

Also, his stamina suffered badly in the post-Lewis days. Danny Williams said that his punches started off incredibly hard but even after 3 rounds were noticeable depreciating in power. There's my 2 answers

1. lack of ability to get into knockout positions
2. poor stamina

it's relevant Botha is mentioned, because Botha made the mistake of coming directly onto him. Meaning Tyson could just unload one from point blank range. If Botha had played it safer he could have stretched Tyson cause Tyson was looking bad in that fight.

At the back end of the 90s and he was looking pretty bad in fact. He even suffered inbetween his beautiful knockout of Mathis (poor fight but great knockout), and his great knockout in a sense, but poor performance against Botha.

I won't count McNeeley who was a joke, but the Mathis fight was potentially tougher than it looked. I loved how Mike bode his time and even let Mathis expend energy pushing him back, before Mike showed him how a swarmer really operates.

Holyfield was a crushing blow for him, as the Real Deal seemed to be operating on a higher mental level than him.

Funnily he picked it up again for Lewis and found purpose, but was too over the hill to make it count.

Post-Lewis he was completely finished. Lewis killed off Mike Tyson the warrior. After that he was just fighting to pay the tax man